Iphone Connectivity

northtim

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Total newbie here just picked up my 2007 A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro.

Need to get my iphone connected up so I can use handsfree and listen to music from it. The audio in the car is Concert double height job - Concert 3 I think?

I think I need an adaptor and bluetooth so thinking this should be the thing iPod Interface for new Audi 2006-2010 :: AUDI :: XCarLink

Has anyone done this already and if so can you tell me it works OK. Trying to find the magic formula of getting something that works as it should and doesn't cost the earth!

Cheers All!

Last edited:
Hi, there's a few who have one of these, including me. It plugs directly into the back of your head unit and the ipod can be controlled via the steering wheel controls. I made a permanent dock for my ipod touch in the glove box so my ipod is plugged in constantly. It charges it up too. Go for it mate, for the price you can't go wrong. If you're north east based I could even give you a hand fitting it if you're unsure.

Cheers Gary,

Haven't got any buttons on steering wheel unfortunately, but it says it can still be controlled from ipod screen and some buttons on car stereo so should be OK.

I did a similar install on my last car (BMW which after last couple of winters has been ditched as flippin useless, quattro should do better), and it looks very straight forward. Is there space behind the stereo to fit the box of tricks or does it go in glovebox?

Thanks for help - much appreciated.

Box of tricks goes behind radio or glovebox. Plenty of room either way. Mines sort of next to the radio

Cheers - ordered. £125 delivered with the bluetooth and a money back guarantee so can't go wrong really!

You got any pics on here of your self made ipod dock Gary?

No but I could take some. It'll be tomorrow now as the Carlings out now :icon_thumright:

Forgot you wanted pics. So, here we go;

WP_000132.jpg

WP_000134.jpg

When you buy an ipod touch, you get that white docking thing. I used that and enlarged the hole at the bottom so the the lead from the xcarlink was a tight fit in it but poked through enough so that the ipod would connect fully with it. This was then araldited into place on the back. I removed the glovebox and dremelled a hole in the back so that the dock would sit flush against the back of the glovebox. Again, a dob of araldite holds this in check. The 'bed' that the ipod lays in is a cheap clip on back that I got off ebay (was about £2.50). I had to cut the bottom corners off the cover so it sits inside the dock. The last problem was that the bed was laying at an angle, so I simply used some thick card doubled up to level it up. Once again, araldite was used to bond the card to the cover, and then two tiny screws come up from underneath to hold the card and bed in place. Works well and there's no wires strewn about.

EDIT; In the first pic, the ipod isn't clipped into the bed properly. I just layed it in there to show the ipod in place, I didn't push it right in.