Totally dead boot lid, and lots of warning lights.......

Richardesty

loves quattro
Reaction score
First noticed that my boot would release using the remote fob, or the drivers door button.....

Did some research on here and phoned my stealer, who admitted the release solenoid was a common fault..........and they happened to have one on the shelf.

I'm collecting it on Tuesday.

Since then I've had warnings lights on the dash for failed left rear fog, right rear fog, and numberplate lights........thus in effect nothing electrical which is connected to the boot lid works. All the lamps are led and are resisted.

I'm hoping replacing the solenoid will solve this, but has anyone else heard of this apparent multiple failue?

no help with the problem but
i aint got a boot release on the door
WHY ?

Ah, so you only come on here went you want something ;-)

I wonder if a cable going to the boot end has fractured allowing some water in? Are the dash errors false or are the lights actually faulting?

I've no idea Lee :readit: Mines an electronic release which sits alongside a couple of alarm overide buttons in the back end of the door pocket.......

I've stripped the boot of it's lining and all the cabling looks absolutely fine and surprisingly there's no connector block for 'disconnecting the boot'. Neither the fog/sidelights, numberplate lights or tail release work - ie anything electrical related to the boot lid. The 'outer' tail lights/brakes/indicators work fine, and the boot releases ok with the key.

I've replaced the boot solenoid today, hoping that it would cure the problem - to no avail.

Have checked every fuse there is, and nothing appears to be at fault, or any fuse relating the the above components other than fuse 38 which mentions the boot release (but is fine)

Gonna call the stealers in the morning for some 'telephone advice'......

Gonna have to get it sorted as my MOT is due next week!!!! :notme:

Elsawin directs me to the J519 Power Supply Control Unit under the dashboard......which looks expensive :(

That does sound pricey. Might have to go to a scrappy and take one out there. Have you got an actual part number that you can look on ebay.de for?

A diagnostic check didn't reveal anything but further searching has highlighted a broken earth cable deep within the well protected cabling between the boot and lid......all sorted now!

A diagnostic check didn't reveal anything but further searching has highlighted a broken earth cable deep within the well protected cabling between the boot and lid......all sorted now!

Hi @Richardesty, I have the exact same fault on my 2005 Audi a4 Sline, 3.2V6. Could you point me towards which cable specifically was at fault and where abouts???

Wiring tends to break through the constant flexing in both doors and boot lids at the point it flexes the most so its usually a simple job of looking for the point where the wiring bends the most at the hinge area of said appendage. Its one of the first things I look at when there are faults in just one area especially multiple faults although faults that appeared in the rear door of my uncles A3 turned out to be due to broken wires in the drivers door so you do have to keep an open mind when it comes to fault finding.