Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Question 2.0TDI 170 (BRD) - injector cleaners, EGR cleaning, MAF cleaning.

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of a 2008 A4 Avant S Line SE 170 (BRD ENGINE CODE) - returning to the Audis after a short stint on a Porsche Cayman (I have only just stopped crying at the depreciation!).

After having 1.9TDIs and a couple of 2.0TDI 140s, I opted for the 170 as I do most of my driving on the motorway and A-roads.

I have heard horror stories of DPF issues, injector issues, DMF issues - but stupidly I went for the 170 as the car is everything I've ever wanted in an Audi.

My questions:

1. Are there any fuel additives to give the car a good clean out - mainly the injectors (does this actually help?)
    2. Is it worth cleaning the EGR/MAF and how (or equiv - I know the BMW E39 3.0 diesels LOVE it when you do this!)
    3. DFP - anything I can do besides removing it with an aftermarket exhaust?

All I trying to do is "clean" the engine components that can easily be done as the car has probably been stood for a while before I bought it... previous owner (after I traced them) did 88K with no issues and loved the car.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by brixo; 23rd June 2011 at 13:09. Reason: Wrong engine code...
    [.:: brixo ::.]
    2008 Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line SE Avant, Lava Grey, RNS-e, happy to be back to an Audi!
    2007 Porsche Cayman, 2.7 stock lump. Bought the wrong engine. Amazing chassis gone...
    Previous Audis - A3 1.8 SE, B5 A4 1.8T Sport, B6 A4 1.9TDi Sport, B5 S4 Avant, B7 A4 2.0TDI S Line, B6 S4 Avant...

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Welcome, here is my experience.....
    I found my 170 ran lumpy with Tesco's diesel of a winter with all the extra seasonal addictives they put in.
    I regularly put in a fuel injection cleaner all year round which sorted it.
    Then i had the dreaded fuel injector failure, they partially attributed it to 'cheap fuel' so i only use Esso, Shell Etc now but dont know how true this?
    I dont add anything to the tank and she runs great, is this down to the new injectors, fuel???

Im sure the rest of the guys will help with the rest, the egr clean is something i have thought of doing?
    Audi A4 Avant TDI 170 S-Line
    1992 Saab 900 T16S Convertible

4th Gear

Status
    I was going to start a new thread but seeing as you bought it up, I'll post on here.
    I ran some 10K BOOST through my air inlet the other day, with quite noticeable results. I was quite sceptical about whether it would make a difference and am aware that sometimes these products can have a placebo effect to make you think they are some sort of miracle in a bottle. I genuinely think it made a difference though. The engine seemed to run smoother and response was noticeably sharper. It didn't dramatically alter performance but it was enough to think it's worth using.
    I'll definitely be using it again and recommend it to people.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted