The oil top-up icon appears on the dashboard even though I have changed the oil?

ntp

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anybody know why the oil top-up icon appears on the dashboard even though I have changed the oil? I am 100% sure that the oil is enough and at the right level. Also the icon appears only in the first 5-10 minutes of the drive, after that it disappears.

Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

have you checked that you have enough in there ?

Yes, I have.

Oil level sensor intermittant fault, did you remove this or disturb anything in that area?

Oil level sensor intermittant fault, did you remove this or disturb anything in that area?

Hi NHN, I haven't touched anything. The icon appeared a week ago. As per the manual I topped up with a bit of oil to get it to the right level. A few days later I changed the oil as it was time. That's all.

The light goes away after I have driven for a while.

Ok next thing I'd check is the sensor, unplug the connecxtor, give t a blast of air, make sure the contacts are corroded, if looks fine & if not expensive then swap it out.

If the oil level is correct & sensor ok, then I wonder if you're getting a return line issue, maybe a temp blockage, strange one, certainly wise to be cautious & check very regularly as of course its the life blood of the engine, this goes wrong & its bye bye engine possibly car.

Anyway dont let me worry you, do your checks & test sensor then look at other issues.

Thanks NHN, dummy question. Where can I find the sensor? Is it somewhere close to the engine?

I dont know which engine you have to be precise, sump is 1 place & certainly look around the bottom of the engine, I checked etka & shows 1 on sump & 1 on engine bottom.

You sure its oil level or oil pressure, as the A4 had issues with oil pickups, but honestly only heard on certain engines & B6 at that, maybe someone with more knowledge on B7 can advise as I got shot of my B6 S4 years ago.

the top up light is yellow
oil presure is big red you cant miss that 1
sensor is on bottom of sump
as above unplug clean and try
does it do it every time you start the car ?

the top up light is yellow
oil presure is big red you cant miss that 1
sensor is on bottom of sump
as above unplug clean and try
does it do it every time you start the car ?

Yes it does. Mine is a 3.0l one. It comes information a wile and then disappears. It seems that when the temp picks up it disappears. It's not a lamp though. It's an icon on the dashboard, kind of digital.

Providing that the oil level is fine, can something happen to the engine?

What colour is the DIS warning, red or yellow?

Does anybody know if the yellow oil icon is dangerous?

no yellow is ok
if its red them worry

no yellow is ok
if its red them worry

Thanks Bez. By the way I have just checked the oil level and it appears to be 3 millimeters in the Max section. The guys from the garage must have put a little bit more. Would this be the problem causing the yellow icon? Is this dangerous? I have got to travel tomorrow so shall I cancel?

na you should be ok to much wont cause the light
just keep an eye on it any red oil signs then stop it stright away and drag it home

na you should be ok to much wont cause the light
just keep an eye on it any red oil signs then stop it stright away and drag it home

Cool, thanks

By the way, I have just read some pretty serious stuff about having too much oil. Mine is a 3 millimeters in the Max level. I am worried now as I have to travel tomorrow.

Is there a way of draining a tiny bit of oil?

Just undo the sump plug for few seconds, check levels & top up as needed with the stuff emptied.

Update!

I tried the trick with the bonnet switch but it didn't work. The switch seems to be ok since I can see the bonnet opening on the DIS. Then I got my local garage guy to unplug the sensor that sits under the engine. They used some pressurized air to clean it properly and plugged it back in. Once I got into the car and started the engine and the warning light in question appeared again.

I can't think of anything else other than a faulty unit. Well, I have just changed the oil so I will wait for a while until I replace the sensor. I don't feel like spending another £100 on oil.

Thanks for all your help.

Mine was doing this recently, t'was a broken wire to the sender. I was told that the word "sensor" appears next to the oil can icon if the sensor fails.

please let me know what the trick is with the bonnet switch .I have go this fault on my a3 2.0

thanks jblox

Update!

I tried the trick with the bonnet switch but it didn't work. The switch seems to be ok since I can see the bonnet opening on the DIS. Then I got my local garage guy to unplug the sensor that sits under the engine. They used some pressurized air to clean it properly and plugged it back in. Once I got into the car and started the engine and the warning light in question appeared again.

I can't think of anything else other than a faulty unit. Well, I have just changed the oil so I will wait for a while until I replace the sensor. I don't feel like spending another £100 on oil.

Thanks for all your help.

£100 on oil wtf you buying ?

£100 on oil wtf you buying ?

I am sorry I have been away for a while. Well, the oil (8l Castrol Long Life) plus the filter plus the change by the garage boy = £100. And that is cheap I think as i bought it online.

Hi all,

I am coming back to revive this thread as somebody mentioned that the top up fuel icon that is still showing on my dash can be cleared by VAGCOM. Is this true? Could it be that the sensor is not actually faulty but it just needs resetting by a VAGCOM?

no it cannot be cleared by vag-com, either you have a broken wire going to the sensor, or the sensor is fauly and will need to be replaced.