What makes the a5 3.0tdi so much quicker than the b7 a4 3.0tdi?

Gouldyboy

Reaction score
Its got about 40 more bhp and 40 more lb's of torque, weighs very slightly more, but clocks 0-60 1.3 seconds faster and does 0-100 in 15 seconds apparently, as opposed to 18+ seconds (or is it 19?) for the b7.

With a remap the b7 would be outputting more (max) power, but I doubt it would drop the 0-100 down to 15 seconds.

This can't just be down to gearing, is it just about the area under the curve?

Its got about 40 more bhp and 40 more lb's of torque, weighs very slightly more, but clocks 0-60 1.3 seconds faster and does 0-100 in 15 seconds apparently, as opposed to 18+ seconds (or is it 19?) for the b7.

With a remap the b7 would be outputting more (max) power, but I doubt it would drop the 0-100 down to 15 seconds.

This can't just be down to gearing, is it just about the area under the curve?

When it was first launched (about 2004), the 3.0TDi engine had 204bhp, but was soon uprated to 230 bhp in mid-2005. Mine is a 2007 model with 230bhp. IIRC, the 3.0TDi engine in current models - i.e. the B8-generation A4, A5, A6 and A8 - outputs 240bhp, so provided you look at a post 2005 model - designated as TDV - you would only be 10bhp down on the latest models.

I don't know very much about re-mapping, but seem to recall that something like 275bhp is a realistic ceiling on what is achievable without huge cost.

Yea I was looking into that model also. Basically the 204bhp and 233bhp engines have the same turbo and remap to around the same mark apparently, but the 240bhp models now have a different turbo.

The 233bhp a4 gets to 60 in 6.8, still almost a full second slower than the a5, is this simply down to the different turbo producing a different power band, despite the max power figures being so similar?

Yea I was looking into that model also. Basically the 204bhp and 233bhp engines have the same turbo and remap to around the same mark apparently, but the 240bhp models now have a different turbo.

The 233bhp a4 gets to 60 in 6.8, still almost a full second slower than the a5, is this simply down to the different turbo producing a different power band, despite the max power figures being so similar?

Sorry, no idea. Way too technical for me! Someone will know, though.

Ok no problem Jeff!

Its not a big deal anyway as I'm sure both will be easily fast enough, just trying to make sure there isn't a major reason why I should save for an a5 from a performance point of view.

Ok no problem Jeff!

Its not a big deal anyway as I'm sure both will be easily fast enough, just trying to make sure there isn't a major reason why I should save for an a5 from a performance point of view.

Purely personal, but I would reject the A5 on looks alone. Way too bling and vulgar for me.

Lol thats fair enough, I like it!

Plus I have no real need for a 4 door, but the b7 saloon is sexy enough for sure!

Lol theres nothing wrong with doing a little research!

Nothing is set in stone mate, I'm still waiting for some test drives so its all susceptible to change!

The diesel does appear to be the most likely atm, and certainly the a4 over the a5 as the a5 isn't really in budget.

Lol theres nothing wrong with doing a little research!

Nothing is set in stone mate, I'm still waiting for some test drives so its all susceptible to change!

The diesel does appear to be the most likely atm, and certainly the a4 over the a5 as the a5 isn't really in budget.

Joking apart, quite right. It's a lot of money to lay out, and potentially a heavy loss if you find you don't like it and have to sell on pretty soon.

My thoughts exactly.

Anybody go any ideas as to how the a5 is able to pull in such impressive 0-60 and 0-100 with similar power levels?

It can't just be gearing, because the a5 supposedly gets better mpg as well!

I've recently traded an S3 for a 3.0 TDi S-Tronic and I don't think you'll find the performance disapointing. Unlike the S3 where the S-Tronic is quicker to 60 the A4 Manual is ever so slightly quicker as the A4 has a 7 speed box so an extra change is required.

If you are buying used you may be okay for remapping but new are thought to have locked ECU which means an ECU out job.

Interesting, thanks for that.

I really don't think I'll be disappointed either with 550NM+ after an exhaust/remap, where as with the 2.0T I can almost guarantee I'll be looking into K04/BT kits before long.

Thanks mate. Don't get me wrong, if a car with your spec came along for the right price I would snap it up.

Your practically half way towards a BT kit anyway, although you probably won't thank me for pointing that out!