New tyres for A4 3.0 Tdi Quattro - advice sought

mjt2300

Reaction score
Hello,
First post in this forum.
Have a 56 plate A4 3.0 TDi Quattro which could do with new tyres as the front set are getting close to road legal. Currrent tyres are 235/40 ZR 18 Pirelli P0.

Can anyone help with the following:
- Recommendation for a durable tyre, I complete quite high mileage and don't want new ones to get worn out too quickly. My driving style is pretty conservative on a day-to-day basis.
- Advice on 4 new tyres vs replacing the front tyres only. The rear yires still have substantial thread depth.

Any other useful tyre advice also welcomed...

Cheers

Used to swap the front for the back to get more value for money, but the tyre shop will talk you out of it on the basis of convenience.

I have two sets of wheels for my 3.0TDi that I alternate between from time to time. One set is fitted with Continental ContiSport Contact 3s, the other with Falken ZE912s. There's virtually nothing to choose between them on grip or wear, but the Falkens are far quieter and smoother riding than the Contis. They are also about half the price, which makes it easier to afford a set of four, which I would always recommend on a Quattro. Brilliant tyre!

Thanks for the advice.
I think I'll go for a full new set.

Most reputable garages won't just replace 2 on a quattro, it's all 4 only.

Have been recommended to get 235/40 Y Extra load and that Michelins are best but very expensive at +£190 each. The guy at the tyre shop recommends Pirelli P Zero Rosso at £156/tyre.
Anyone have any thoughts?

According to Blackcircles.com, the Falken ZE912s that I recommended earlier can be supplied and fitted for £109.93 each in your size, 235/40x18. They are W-rated, which is ample. Remember, this is a speed rather than a load rating. The W-rating is good for 168mph, but if you really insist on Y-rating (up to 186mph), the same source will do the Falken FK452 at £118.74 each. Both have the same load rating (95) as the Pirelli P Zero Rosso. Most comparable Michelins also have a 95 load rating, but some have a 91 rating, which is slightly lower.

Don't allow some smooth-talking fitter to persuade you to part with more money than you need to.

Last edited:
Have been recommended to get 235/40 Y Extra load and that Michelins are best but very expensive at +£190 each. The guy at the tyre shop recommends Pirelli P Zero Rosso at £156/tyre.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I bought a pair of these as an emergency backup when my wife managed to kerb the car on ice in a cul-de-sac last winter. As I was over 200 miles away, the sidewall had a nick (she made it sound like a massive tear) and the MOT was imminent, I thought this was a prudent decision, and picked a premium brand at a good price. That said, I don't know what they handle like, but as we are thinking of changing the car (which passed its MOT on the existing tyres) it didn't matter too much. I can always resell them or use them to sweeten the deal when I eventually sell the car. If not, I'll just buy another pair and fit the normal 4 (mine's a quattro too). Should know in a week's time if I'm keeping the car or ordering another Audi, so may have a cheap pair for you...

I only ever use Michellin pilot sport on my 2.0tfsi quattro as no other tyre lasts anywhere near as long. I get 22k front and 18k from the rears. I only got 14k from Contis.

Sure It's fine to replace just 2 at a time as my local dealer confirmed this last year.

Snoopy,

Thanks for the info - I definitely want a hard-wearing tyre.

I have looked at tyre reviews online and there aren't many good reviews of Falken tyres from people with higher-powered cars which makes me dubious about them....?

Snoopy,

Thanks for the info - I definitely want a hard-wearing tyre.

I have looked at tyre reviews online and there aren't many good reviews of Falken tyres from people with higher-powered cars which makes me dubious about them....?

No problem;bud. Tyres are an incredibly subjective area and we all want different things from them. Just because they suit me, doesn't mean they suit someone else.

The downside to pilot sports is the circa £200 price! I am about to order some for the front as they are on the limit and the cars doing that annoying clunking thing on full lock that all quattros do when the tyres get low.