Audi A4 3.2 Quattro s-line cabriolet Timing Chain Noise

darrenparrott

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a 2006 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro s-line cabriolet. After a recent 52,000 mile service I was told that my car needs a new timing chain (slight rattle on start-up) and was then given a price by the Audi dealer of £3,200.
The car was three weeks past 5 years old with 52,000 miles and a full Audi service history. I have a few questions which I hope someone will be able to help me with.

Have I been quoted a fair price?
Should the chain be replaced by Audi free of charge (or heavily discounted)?
Is the chain at the front or back of the engine?
Is it a much cheaper job just changing the tensioners?
If I go ahead and have the work done how long should the warranty be on the new chain?

Any held would be fantastic, thanks so much..... :)

I replied to your other post but to add to that my chain was replaced by Audi for £3400, that included everything related to the chain as well. The car was almost 4 1/2 years old at the time and the cost was split between the garage I bought the car from and Audi goodwill. I think Audi have a cut off point if the cars over 5 years old though.
The timing chain is on the gearbox side of the engine and so needs to be disconnected from it, in the A3 this usually means engine out so is probably the same in the A4.
The main tensioner is a very easy job, screw out and back in.
All Audi work carries a 2 year warranty.

Probably best to get another diagnosis done and tbh I would try a reputable independent rather than a dealer.