Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyboy View Post
    Just bear in mind that those comments are from the experience of an SE, which will wallow around alot, the S-line will be totally different.
    Good point; well made. The SE spec is also a reflection of my "grumpy old far.... um, I mean man" approach to driving these days. The S-Line is much sharper, but for me the price paid in reduced ride comfort is too high.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I've read the ride in the b7 when lowered with decent springs and shocks and an ARB is both smoother and better handled than the Sline, and this is the route I will be taking with either car, so the only reason for me to go for the Sline would be for the styling.

I have to say I do prefer the boot shape of the Sline, I'm guessing this is something that can be switched between the two models?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Good point; well made. The SE spec is also a reflection of my "grumpy old far.... um, I mean man" approach to driving these days. The S-Line is much sharper, but for me the price paid in reduced ride comfort is too high.
    I totally agree, it's each to their own. Comfort or handling.

If youre modding the suspension aswell, it's a no brainer for me. But I'm a bit biased!!!
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

4th Gear

Status
    Also, the Tdi has the same suspension and brake setup as the S4, that's another thing to bear in mind.
    RNS-E retrofitted

Neutral

Status
    Bigger brakes is always nice, that's a big expense spared if I were to want to upgrade them down the line...

5th Gear

Status
    with the s-line special edition its got very big brakes (old S4 style ones I believe), plus its also got crossed drilled and ventilated discs...no need to upgrade them to be honest
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    How much trouble will I be in if I say the 3.0TDi is best combined with a Tiptronic auto box?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Neutral

Status
    Its not something I've really been considering as I've only ever had manuals and because they are a bit slower.

Wouldn't mind a go in one, but I figure I've got plenty of time for autos later on down the road!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    [QUOTE=Gouldyboy;1274267]because they are a bit slower.QUOTE]

Only on paper. Out there on the road is a different matter.

Neutral

Status
    I realize that if you're caught in the wrong gear at the wrong time then the auto would be advantageous, but I'm fairly sure a semi-decent driver would beat the auto if they were purposefully racing due to drive-train losses (and weight?).

5th Gear

Status
    That's just lazy Jeff lol
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    That's just lazy Jeff lol
    What can I say? I am a fat old man.

4th Gear

Status
    How much trouble will I be in if I say the 3.0TDi is best combined with a Tiptronic auto box?
    LOTS!!!!!! lol
    RNS-E retrofitted

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyboy View Post
    LOTS!!!!!! lol
    We've been here before, haven't we?

Neutral

Status
    How quick will the tip kick down in sport mode? Do normally find yourself leaving it in sport mode or is it much smoother without?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouldyboy View Post
    How quick will the tip kick down in sport mode? Do normally find yourself leaving it in sport mode or is it much smoother without?
    It's pretty responsive in both modes, the main difference being that in sport, you are typically one gear lower to begin with before you kick it down. I tend to use sport when it's just me and a quiet road, and normal mode for ambling round town, crusing on motorways, or when Mrs Grumpy Old Man is in the car with me, heheh!

2nd Gear

Status
    I so wish mine had the 3.0 TDI lump in it.
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by unikarl View Post
    I so wish mine had the 3.0 TDI lump in it.
    I so wish mine had a front centre armrest. I know I can get one fitted pretty easily, and for not much money, but the trouble is I am on a stern promise to Mrs GOM not to spend any money at all modding this one - the house needs a new roof and windows first - and she'd notice the armrest right away.

(So far, she hasn't noticed the RS4 anti-roll bar)

5th Gear

Status
    (So far, she hasn't noticed the RS4 anti-roll bar)
    with you on that one

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Gouldyboy, whatever you eventually decide, you will let us know, won't you?

5th Gear

Status
    Also where are you based? Might be able to take you out for a drive as often round the country with work...

Neutral

Status
    Jeff, I will indeed let you guys know

Reading around elsewhere I'm now being pulled towards the diesel again, the torque sounds addictive and from the sounds of it you can get them to handle pretty well.

Razza, I'm based in Watford atm, and would be very grateful of a spin in your motor! (as a passenger, of course!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12