Guide for changing springs only on a B7

dalepearson

Reaction score
Hiya all,

I have had a good search around and have not found what I am looking for.
Is there a DIY guide anywhere that covers the process for installing front and rear lowering springs on a B7?

Rears seem simple enough, its the front I am most concerned with.

Thanks in advance.
Dale

Is it? Dealers said its about a 2 hour job so thought worst case 3 - 4 hours.
I think the fronts would be most difficult.

How long did it take you?

All day!

The bolt that hold the upper ball joints into place siezes itself on so that's very time consuming. The rears are in so tight its untrue and you can't get spring compressors in as there isn't enough room so you have to drop the subframe and pull like hell on the arm while prizing the spring out..

If the dealer can do it in two hours and that's all they will charge you for it then that's a good deal.

Reactions: Lucas Alexander 2
Hmm, I still think I might give it a go tomorrow, car is only a year old so hopefully not to seized up.
Worst comes to the worst I just do it back up and book it into the dealers.

Oh when the instructions say to apply load, I assume just pop the jack under the disc and jack it up to put some pressure on the shock to simulate the cars weight being on it?

if the upper arm bolt is seized just remove the full leg (dont hit the bolt with a hammer as it will swell inside the bearing carrier and cause you a nightmare)
the rear can be done with the correct spring compressor in situ
also you need a full 4 wheel align after to rest tow, bump steer and camber for the front and rear

all in with 4 wheel around 8 hours

Nope, shorter and stiffer.

i believe that the Audi part number for a 2006 A4 s-line rear coil springs is 8EO511115DJ. if you need to get some order early because they are not a stock item any where.

Thanks for the info, I have a quick question

Are the b7 a4 s-line Avant rear springs same as an Saloon ?

Thanks

Mine were a nightmare to change, I had the all too common seized pinch bolt and ended up grinding through both of the top control arms to get the bearing carrier off adding a further £90 to the job....I’m glad I did the job myself but I wouldn’t be in any rush to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk