2.0 tdi engine judder on acceleration 1800 - 2000 rpm

Digger Rob

Reaction score
Hello folks. My first post as I usually sort myself out from the good advice I read from other people's posts.
Please could you give me your experience on this one ?

Had my 2006 b7 2.0tdi from 12 months old, now 150k miles. On longlife servicing with main dealer and I did the flywheel 5k ago.

Issue is engine shakes violently when accelerating from 1800 - 2000 rpm, particularly in 3rd/4th. It feels like the car will shake to bits !
It doesn't happen if you rev when stationary and if you accelerate very gently on the road you don't feel it. If you rev hard and long it often derates and limits to max 3000rpm (no dash light).
Every so often engine light comes on which local laptop man tells me is turbo overboosted error. I've ordered VAG 10.6 to check myself.

Occasionally on start-up it runs rough (like 3 cyl rough) and smokes white.

MOT said it was very high on its smoke test and there's sooty black around exhaust. Oil usage is about 1l in about 2500miles. Mpg is down to mid 40's on a run.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks and best wishes, Rob

i would start with things you can do yourself,

clean the egr valve, its very easy to do too,

mine is just about to go on 90k and it was really clogged so if yours hasnt ben done for a bit it could be that, then i added some forte injector treatment to a 3/4 full tank of fuel, smoothed mine out no end,

you dont say if yours is a 140 bhp or 170bhp, if its 170 could also be the pesky particle filter in the exhaust

Hello folks. My first post as I usually sort myself out from the good advice I read from other people's posts.
Please could you give me your experience on this one ?

Had my 2006 b7 2.0tdi from 12 months old, now 150k miles. On longlife servicing with main dealer and I did the flywheel 5k ago.

Issue is engine shakes violently when accelerating from 1800 - 2000 rpm, particularly in 3rd/4th. It feels like the car will shake to bits !
It doesn't happen if you rev when stationary and if you accelerate very gently on the road you don't feel it. If you rev hard and long it often derates and limits to max 3000rpm (no dash light).
Every so often engine light comes on which local laptop man tells me is turbo overboosted error. I've ordered VAG 10.6 to check myself.

Occasionally on start-up it runs rough (like 3 cyl rough) and smokes white.

MOT said it was very high on its smoke test and there's sooty black around exhaust. Oil usage is about 1l in about 2500miles. Mpg is down to mid 40's on a run.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks and best wishes, Rob

Hi Rob, Did you get to the bottom of what was causing the judder at 1800 to 2000 rpm. Got the same thing happening on mine & dont want garages guessing at a repair. Must admit as my turbo is a little whiney / whistley it was the first thing that sprung to mind that it could be a turbo issue?