What can I do (Thinking of selling it) !!

Kev.W

Reaction score
Hello to you all.
I have a problem and need some sensible suggestions please. I've recently bought an A4 2.0TDI Cabriolet Multitronic (07) S-Line in Dolphin Grey with 16000 miles. Ist Audi ive owned. Always liked the look and styling of Audi. Here's the problem - I hate the ride of the car ! Far too hard for me and this together with the road noise of the tyres and the start up noise of the engine is really putting me off the car. Its getting to the point were I don't want to go in it. Trouble is, my wife really really loves this car (never seen her wash another car before). Its causing all sorts of arguements. Any sensible ideas anyone ??

What tyres are on it? I recently changed mine to Goodyear eagles and they make a lot less noise on the road.

Might sound a bit daft but you can lower it. If you fit Eibach pro kit lowering springs you will hardly notice any drop at all yet the ride will iron out the smaller bumps better. I've fitted the Eibach sport kit to mine and although it lowers it more than the pro kit its still a smoother ride than standard.

Start up noise I'd recommend earplugs.... Your never going to get away from it being a diesel!

road noise get better tyres what kind are fitted and size ?
start up noise your stuck with that 1 but they dont have a bad start up noise can you explain the noise you hear ?
and for the hard ride what size wheels are fitted and tyre size also you have s-line more firm than the SE but iv never found it to be a hard ride even with 20" and 30 tyres
so if you can explain noise on start up wheel and tyre size maybe a member can help more

what cars are you used to b4 the audi ?

wheel and tyre combination makes a difference as does s line suspension,I deliberately bought my car over a s line simply for the better ride 16" wheels with 55 tyres.

What tyres are on it? I recently changed mine to Goodyear eagles and they make a lot less noise on the road.

Might sound a bit daft but you can lower it. If you fit Eibach pro kit lowering springs you will hardly notice any drop at all yet the ride will iron out the smaller bumps better. I've fitted the Eibach sport kit to mine and although it lowers it more than the pro kit its still a smoother ride than standard.

Start up noise I'd recommend earplugs.... Your never going to get away from it being a diesel!

Hi, Tyres are Conti Sport Contact 3 on the front and Contact 2 on the back. Size is 235-40-R18 all round. Reckon I could cope with the Diesel noise if I could cure the hard ride and some of the tyre noise.

road noise get better tyres what kind are fitted and size ?
start up noise your stuck with that 1 but they dont have a bad start up noise can you explain the noise you hear ?
and for the hard ride what size wheels are fitted and tyre size also you have s-line more firm than the SE but iv never found it to be a hard ride even with 20" and 30 tyres
so if you can explain noise on start up wheel and tyre size maybe a member can help more

what cars are you used to b4 the audi ?

Hi, Noise on start up is just the diesel sound, nothing else. Tyre sizes are standard S-Line 235-40-r18. Conti 3 on the front and Conti 2 on the back.

wheel and tyre combination makes a difference as does s line suspension,I deliberately bought my car over a s line simply for the better ride 16" wheels with 55 tyres.

Hi, Yes Im beginning to regret the S-Line even though it does look good. Did you try an S-Line before buying your car. I'm assuming its the standard model or is it the Sport model ?

It was Continental's I had on mine before the Goodyears and they were definitely noisier. Its an expensive do though replacing all 4 tyres when the ones you have are perfectly fine.

If you are planning on keeping it but want the ride softer then you can always change to the eiback springs or maybe even fit the springs from an SE model... Your ride height will go up a few mil though.

Def do springs, Eibach or H&R's will be much more comfortable than standard s-line which are well known for being harsh.

Thanks for the advice. If I want to keep it (which I do), looks like the springs could be the first step maybe with a couple of new tyres on the rear to start with.

Its developed a small oil leak now, looking at my drive !! Due a service in June together with a MOT, so I'll get the leak checked at the same time.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Mate, I have an 1.8T Sport and the ride is superb.

But if like me you had ever owned a Rover Metro GTa you would NEVER complain about the ride in an A4.

I would never buy an A4 S-Line for this very reason. The ride is spectacularly bad. I don't have experience of after market springs, but other here clearly have, so hopefully you can fix the ride with a change of springs.

As far as tyres are concerned, I have two sets of wheels that I alternate between from time to time. One set is fitted with Continental ContiSport Contact 3s, the other with Falken ZE912s. There's virtually nothing to choose between them on grip or wear, but the Falkens are far quieter and smoother riding than the Contis. They are also about half the price. So try a set, see how you get on.

I have to say, though, something really is puzzling me. Harsh ride, road noise and rattly diesel engine on startup. How did you manage not to notice any of these traits during the test drive?

I would never buy an A4 S-Line for this very reason. The ride is spectacularly bad. I don't have experience of after market springs, but other here clearly have, so hopefully you can fix the ride with a change of springs.

As far as tyres are concerned, I have two sets of wheels that I alternate between from time to time. One set is fitted with Continental ContiSport Contact 3s, the other with Falken ZE912s. There's virtually nothing to choose between them on grip or wear, but the Falkens are far quieter and smoother riding than the Contis. They are also about half the price. So try a set, see how you get on.

I have to say, though, something really is puzzling me. Harsh ride, road noise and rattly diesel engine on startup. How did you manage not to notice any of these traits during the test drive?

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions,

Regarding your last comment (And I agree with you) all I can put it down to is the pressure of my wife always wanting an Audi and the low mileage of this car, colour, cabriolet etc and that combined with private purchase and the seller talking non stop during short test drive (due to lack of fuel) on a smooth road with the roof down. Not making excuses but thats all I can say.

Mate, I have an 1.8T Sport and the ride is superb.

But if like me you had ever owned a Rover Metro GTa you would NEVER complain about the ride in an A4.

Hi,

Is it the one in the 'For Sale' section? If so, it looks good. Nice to see a different colour interior to black !!
Why you selling it?