EM TuningChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Advice Needed please as seriously annoyed

Can anyone please tell me what and if any checks are carried out before a garage (namely Revo) carry out a re-map, as less than 500 miles after getting my car re-mapped ive had to be AA'd off the motorway after clouds off white smoke out the back end only to told that my turbo has let go !!!!

Should this have been prior to re-map as it seems far too coincidental for my liking !?

Any help would be much appreaciated
    During a 4 wheel drift on the M25 i hear from my mate "Dont you ever do that again! Gimme the keys" after 12 hours of owning my old S4

2. # ADS
    ADS

On my 3rd A4! RS4 next???

Status
    What's the age, mileage, engine etc?

I'd expect they'd check the levels but what else could be expected?

Chris

1st Gear

Status
    2005, 2.0tdi 90K - i just didnt know if in the pre map checks they should check for play in the turbo as a safety precaution ???
    During a 4 wheel drift on the M25 i hear from my mate "Dont you ever do that again! Gimme the keys" after 12 hours of owning my old S4

?

Status
    A good company will usually carry out basic checks and often log data to look for any abnormalities but not sure what they could have done to check the state of the turbo. Generic remaps from the bigger companies like revo are within safe parameters but will put additional stress on certain components and if a problem already exists will make it worse. On a 90k car I'd be suprised if you have much luck putting the blame soley on the remap. They will have put that map on thousands of cars without issue, and I imagine will suggest your turbo must have been on its way out and it's a risk you take modifying an older car. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck getting it sorted
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

On my 3rd A4! RS4 next???

Status
    My wife's tdi golf had the turbo go at a similar mileage without warning and no mods.

Sounds like an unlucky coincidence to me mate.

I can recommend turbo active to supply you a new or re-corded turbo.

Chris

Neutral

Status
    Its up to you to make sure the car is is in good mechanical condition to be able to take the increased loading and heat.

Tough luck really, get a recon unit on there.

5th Gear

Status
    Wouldn't map a car with that mileage to be honest, probably had too much play. I had the turbo's go on my old car (Supra) at around that mark, but had been running higher boost for some time, and probably peaked a bit too much on a cold night

Also, not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but have they checked the engine, as when my turbos went they shattered and ended up causing damage to the engine as well. No idea to what extent but was cheaper to get a second hand engine and turbos to replace, rather then go to the cost of stripping it down to find it needed repairing at a higher cost. Depends how lucky (or unlucky) you feel...

Crap feeling though, feel for you.
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

1st Gear

Status
    Wouldnt have mapped at that mileage if it wasnt for the dealer telling me it would be fine as Audi diesels go on for ever

5th Gear

Status
    It's a risk you take when modding cars unfortunately. Doesn't help your situation, and you'll be unlikely to get anything out of Revo for it...
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    eco wa everyone has said mapping is normaly done at the owners risk and they normaly say it somewhere in the small print
    agree with wa ur saying mind they could have checked the turbo and advised u if there was any excess play in the bearing
    im in the sam boat wiv my car want it re mapped but its done 95k so ill b running the same risk
    hope u manage to get it sorted tho n get bk on the road soon
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap

1st Gear

Status
    no one would of checked for play on the turbo shaft on a remap

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sewell10 View Post
    no one would of checked for play on the turbo shaft on a remap
    the mapping companies don't, but for peace of mind you should get someone to do it if high mileage...

2nd Gear

Status
    Similar happened to me but looking into it the 2.0 tdi turbo units are prone to failure approx every 100k anyway.... A remap will have just helped it on its way. Mine got to 105k before giving up. Cant really blame the remap, more a weakness in the turbo design.
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

1st Gear

Status
    I would say if you are doing a remap with that sort mileage i would have an AA mechanical breakdown warranty in place they only cost between 70-90 pounds a year and cover the first £500 on each claim which cover most of a turbo unit cost
    Funky

2nd Gear

Status
    Just reading your first post....I would have thought white smoke was more a coolant issue. My turbo going just threw out loads of black smoke. Maybe your egr cooler has blown in which case it will be a lot cheaper than the turbo.
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

5th Gear

Status
    mine was lots of white smoke, as well as turbo going it knackered my head gasket as well...

2nd Gear

Status
    just bad luck really,when its mapped they will have checked for fault codes anyway,had my 1.8t remapped at 92k,its still going by someone else at over 160k now and its still faster than my 2.0t.