EM TuningVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1animal1

Thread: 2.0tdi or 3.0tdi ?

5th Gear

Status

2.0tdi or 3.0tdi ?

Hi Guys,

Currently an 8L S3 owner, but I think the time has come to change it for something I can get the old folks in, and looking at a B7 or possibly a B8 A4 Diesel Quattro Saloon.

There seem to be plenty of 3.0tdis around at the monent for reasonable money, and was looking for opinions on whether it's worth going for this over a 2.0tdi 170 Quattro?

I do around 10-12k a year and around 70% of those are a 20mile each way trip to the golf club on B roads, with the rest being mainly motorway cruises to the Lake District. I like the overtaking oomph of my S3 so would prefer not to lose too much of this, and want to keep Quattro for the winter, as the S3 has been excellent in the snow and leaves.

Should I stick to the 2.0tdi Quattro and take the extra economy, with the loss of grunt, or is the 3.0tdi the one to go for? Is there a large difference in economy between the two? Having done some googling, the general opinion seems to be 3.0tdi ~40mpg, 2.0tdi Quattro ~45mpg. Does this seem about right?

Finally, if anyone has one of the above for sale around the £10-11k mark, drop me a PM...

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    If I could go back in time to when I was buying mine I'd have gone for the 3.0 tdi and taken the hit with economy. I have the 2.0 tdi 140 which is remapped so it will be similar to the 170 and there just isnt enough grunt. Like you I came from a turbocharged petrol car which had plenty of pull and loads of fun so now I'm just bored!

The economy is nice though!

Just noticed your sig... I also had an "Ace" but mine was the faster silver and black version!!
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

5th Gear

Status
    3.0ltr, drove a 2.0ltr as a courtesy car, didn't have enough power for me, and especially if you're coming from an S3 you'll miss it.
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

1st Gear

Status
    Don't get a 2.0 170 until VAG have sorted out the injector issues, this is an ongoing problem. See the injector thread on the forum. From perosnal experioence, the injectors have failed even when replaced with new (same make) ones.
    Report to VOSA:
    www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

You are covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979:
    • Goods must "conform to contract", without an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted
    • The seller is responsible for up to six years after purchase

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fix-th...56033921135623

5th Gear

Status
    is that limited to B7's or do B8's have the same issue, as a mate has just bought one?
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

1st Gear

Status
    No B8 owners have come forward with this issue, all so far have been 2006 and early 2007, so I seriously doubt the B8s are affected.
    Report to VOSA:

• Goods must "conform to contract", without an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted

Facebook:

Neutral

Status
    I would go 3.0 tdi quattro, I get 39mpg from mine and it's hoot!
    After all there is no replacement for displacement!

5th Gear

Status
    What's the difference insurance wise between the two?
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the comments so far folks. Insurance wise, 3.0tdi would be around £30 cheaper than the S3, and 2.0tdi another £30 less than that, so not a lot in it.

39mpg average for the 3.0tdi sounds reasonable. What do you folks get from a 2.0tdi 170 Quattro?

Cheers
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:

S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post
    Thanks for the comments so far folks. Insurance wise, 3.0tdi would be around £30 cheaper than the S3, and 2.0tdi another £30 less than that, so not a lot in it.

39mpg average for the 3.0tdi sounds reasonable. What do you folks get from a 2.0tdi 170 Quattro?

Cheers
    Im surprised you get 39 mpg with the 3.0 TDI as i only get 40 mpg with the 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro. This is mostly motorway miles and i dont dry with the foot down all the time either.

There are threads on here discussing MPG for the 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro and I haven't seen many registering MPG above 40-45.

1st Gear

Status
    I have a 2.0 170 non-quattro and get 41 normally and have gotten 45 driving like a granny.
    Report to VOSA:

Facebook:

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    My 3.0TDi Quattro Tiptronic does 45mpg on the motorway. Performance is fabulous, and refinement is decent too. You can never have too many cylinders, and four just isn't enough.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Neutral

Status
    I have 2.0 tdi 170 and its crap on fuel. 39mpg back and 4 to work 15 miles 1 way.. if I was buying another I'd have a 3.0 and get more grunt for my mpg and probably easier to drive slowly than the 2.0 as it has more torque. tax is more expensive and insurance but go for the 3.0.

Neutral

Status
    Yes tax is a bit dearer on the 3.0tdi at £235 / year and rising, but isn't everyones tax going up???? Whats a hundred quid between friends.

I was going to go 2.0 170 before I got my 3.0. hearing those mpg figures for the 170, glad I didn't ..... Mine is manual and I am amazed at jdp1962 getting the same MPG as me with a tiptronic version.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
    Mine is manual and I am amazed at jdp1962 getting the same MPG as me with a tiptronic version.
    Why? All modern auto boxes have a torque converter lock-up, so in a steady-speed motorway cruise, my auto box will be equally as efficient as your manual.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Neutral

Status
    very clever those Germans!!!

Neutral

Status
    where the hell do they get these MPG figures from Audi A4 2.0TDI 170 : ALL TORQUE AND ACTION - Yahoo! Cars
    spoke to someone on ebay who is selling a 170 tdi s line se like mine and he says he gets 45 on a run around and 50+ on a long trip.... HOW

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
    where the hell do they get these MPG figures from Audi A4 2.0TDI 170 : ALL TORQUE AND ACTION - Yahoo! Cars
    spoke to someone on ebay who is selling a 170 tdi s line se like mine and he says he gets 45 on a run around and 50+ on a long trip.... HOW
    He's bull*****ing you mate ! 45 Mpg topps driving like a noon...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Neutral

Status
    What do you folks get from a 2.0tdi 170 Quattro?
    I've put 4500 miles on mine in 3 months. Roughly 50% motorway, 40% A and B roads, the remainder town and local stuff. Overall average has been a shade over 40mpg (measured brim to brim for each tankful, not relying on the DIS, which is actually reading a bit lower than that at 39.3mpg average). Best has been 47mpg on a 150 mile motorway run, though motorway trips are usually around 42-43mpg. Mixed A and B road driving tends to result in mid to high 30s.

It's not great, but about what I expected from the official figures. Plenty of people moaning about the 2.0 170 economy, but high 30s / low 40s is what it's supposed to do (in quattro form, at least). It's still a decently quick car in real world terms, and that - plus 4x4 is what you're paying for at the pumps. The 3.0 arguably sounds like a better trade-off between performance and economy, but I decided it was just a step too far for me. YMMV :D

6th Gear

Status
    Hi Guys,

Currently an 8L S3 owner, but I think the time has come to change it for something I can get the old folks in, and looking at a B7 or possibly a B8 A4 Diesel Quattro Saloon.

There seem to be plenty of 3.0tdis around at the monent for reasonable money, and was looking for opinions on whether it's worth going for this over a 2.0tdi 170 Quattro?

I do around 10-12k a year and around 70% of those are a 20mile each way trip to the golf club on B roads, with the rest being mainly motorway cruises to the Lake District. I like the overtaking oomph of my S3 so would prefer not to lose too much of this, and want to keep Quattro for the winter, as the S3 has been excellent in the snow and leaves.

Should I stick to the 2.0tdi Quattro and take the extra economy, with the loss of grunt, or is the 3.0tdi the one to go for? Is there a large difference in economy between the two? Having done some googling, the general opinion seems to be 3.0tdi ~40mpg, 2.0tdi Quattro ~45mpg. Does this seem about right?

Finally, if anyone has one of the above for sale around the £10-11k mark, drop me a PM...

Cheers,
    No question really, do you want a rep mobile or something abit different?

I was in the same boat 2 years ago and i went for the 3.0 V6 TDi Quattro TDV.

Best decision i ever made, still have great economy almost 300bhp in a diesel with 4 wheel drive!!

Obviously with the 2.0 you WILL get better economy, but the 3.0 is more fun to drive, plenty of power on tap and V6 sounds great!.

Oh and 3.0 is alot more reliable as the engine is very strong and has the RS4 clutch
    Last edited by Dazmo; 18th September 2011 at 19:25.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    No question really, do you want a rep mobile or something abit different?

I was in the same boat 2 years ago and i went for the 3.0 V6 TDi Quattro TDV.

Best decision i ever made, still have great economy almost 300bhp in a diesel with 4 wheel drive!!

Obviously with the 2.0 you WILL get better economy, but the 3.0 is more fun to drive, plenty of power on tap and V6 sounds great!.

Oh and 3.0 is alot more reliable as the engine is very strong and has the RS4 clutch
    Cheers for the feedback Daz.

I've now decided to move house, so the car change will go on the back burner until new abode is found and sorted.

Just have to use my dad's Scooby when I visit...

(Sadly it's a Forester. He sold the Imprezza 5 years ago!)
    Alistair

Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:

3rd Gear

Status
    Over about 15,000 miles I've averaged 39.77 mpg on my 2.0 tdi 170 quattro, highest 44.9, lowest 34.8. Mostly 79 mph motorway journeys with the cruise on. All courtesy of Road Trip, an iPhone app.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    I had same dilemma, there is only fuel savings to be had in this change, my 12 yrs no claims and no points makes a tiny difference in insurance, therefore the 3.0 is a no brainer and a top qualirty engine when compared to the 2.0

The dilemma is no longer a dilemma, im going for a 3.0 unit without doubt!
    alijames likes this.
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi,

New member as I'm leaving BMW after 15 years.....long story....

So is a 2008 plate B8 3.0 TDi 240BHP affected in this injector saga.

It looks like no!!

regards.....

On my 3rd A4! RS4 next???

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Quattro View Post
    Hi,

New member as I'm leaving BMW after 15 years.....long story....

So is a 2008 plate B8 3.0 TDi 240BHP affected in this injector saga.

It looks like no!!

regards.....
    No. Just the 2006/07 170 2.0 tdi.

Reverse Gear

Status
    phew.... thanks..but good luck to the pre 57 170 bhp members.....

just a thought as Toyota squeezed a 180bhp from a 2litre and the normal block engine ran on 150bhp.....they had no issue's.

On my 3rd A4! RS4 next???

Status
    As I understand it there is a problem with an oil seal on the injector loom. Oil gets in and the system shuts down to prevent damage. A new loom and injector(s) is required.

A friend of mine had 1 go, it was swapped FOC, car lasted 4 weeks before a second one failed, think Audi did the remaining 3 the second time. Quite inconvenient especially if it happens a long way from home!