3.0 tdi turbo back exhuast and intake options

Gouldyboy

Reaction score
After a fair bit of research, I'm thinking about picking up an early a4 3.0 tdi after being surprised at how cheap they could be had. I'm going to be looking to tuned/mapped it straight away, and just have a couple of hardware-related questions that I was unable to find answers to.

Firstly, what options would I have for a full/turbo-back exhaust system? I'd be looking to get a de-cat, so I figure getting a turbo-back system would be my best bet, but was disappointed to see that milltek aren't offering one. Would it have to be a custom system, and if so, where is the best place to go for one in the UK? Am I right in thinking that a 2005 model won't have a DPF and this is something I don't have to worry about?

Secondly, what options do I have for a decent intake/IC system? I haven't managed to find an FMIC kit available for this model, is this something that would have to be custom built as well, and again, where should I go for such a build? I've read a bit about these intake manifold flaps that are causing problems for some owners, is there anywhere I can purchase a replacement manifold considering emissions aren't much of a concern for me?

Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure about exhausts as everyone seems to go for miltek but for that kind of money you could have something custom built from turbo back, where bouts you based?

try speaking to AMD and ask their advice on exhaust systems available.

For the intake a simplt panel filter should be more than enough, dont really see induction kits for diesels.
Intercoolers ar abit more tricky esp for diesels, you might be able to use one from a TFSI if its bogger than the one you have but it will require custom pipework and hoses then mapping to your engine / spec, all expensive.

I would go with a de cat pipe and cat back system like the miltek one, a good panel filter and a remap.

You wont be far off 300bhp and nearly 600nm of torque with that.

Oh yeah, no mate you wont have a DPF on an 05 3.0tdi.

Thanks very much for the help mate, very informative. I'm based in Watford btw.

I think I've just been watching too many vids of that visurat guy and his crazy a5 3.0tdi on youtube, who seems to be getting 350 bhp! I just figured if chips alone can get you close to 290 bhp, then surely a custom turbo back exhaust and sorted induction combined with a custom map would see me closer to 350 if I'm not bothered about emissions? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with 290bhp and all that torque, just assessing my options is all.

You mention getting the milltek and a de-cat which would be a great and convenient solution, but I couldn't find a de-cat for the 3.0tdi, where abouts should I be looking? I love the sound of the milltek, but after I've shelled out on that and the de-cat then it probably wouldn't be far off the price of a custom system, plus going custom gives me the option of a quad exhaust :D

If it was me i would go custom mate, if you went for say a 3" bore turbo back, bigger intercooler with custom pipework, a sorted induction kit with custom pipework to make it fit and a custom map from somewhere known for churning out powerful diesels im sure you could hit 350bhp but why so much money spent to get that much from a diesel, you'd prob be better off buying a 2JZ supra lol.

try speaking with owners on some of the sponsers on here. AMD, Awesome GTI etc....

Its not gonna be cheap thats all i can say!

TT Supra was one of the other cars on my list! I just much prefer the thought of being able to put the power down so much better with the quattro, along with the added creature comforts and newer parts on the B7 A4, not to mention fuel economy. Both beautiful cars though. I'm coming from a tuned gt4 so I just don't wanna feel like I'm downgrading speed wise.

I'll get some quotes for the work you listed above and if its too much I'll skip the FMIC and all the fabrication that comes with it. I'm guessing a decent custom exhaust system, air filter and custom remap would be no more than £2k?

Reactions: quattrogrip
No it wont be more than that. i reckon £600 - £800 for exhaust depending on spec, £200 for induction kit and up to £600 for mapping and RR again depending who you go with and how long it takes them?

I was just looking at non turbo supras as a toy to put a V8 in it but apparently its really quite expensive and ALOT of work.

Looking at E36 M3's now as i wanna get into drifting.

Yea my plan was to get a manual TT supra and try my hand at drifting too, supposedly its quite easy in a supra. I only want one car though so getting a tuned up supra TT and using it as a DD isn't the smartest option, the reason I'm being pulled towards a 3.0 tdi audi is that it just ticks so many of the right boxes.

I'm hoping to have £10k to spend quite soon so it'll be nice to able to grab the a4 for ~£8k and spend the rest tuning it up straight away.

Thanks for the advice bud, hopefully I'll be a permanent addition to these forums in the near future.

I had a 400bhp supra, and although was rapid, was very easy to lose the back end. With about 18mpg it was a very expensive daily driver. The quattro is great though and provides more than enough power for now, yet still return 30mpg. The diesel will obviously be better economy, you just won't have the high rev range, which you may miss. I was very tempted by the 3ltr but found the current one...

Good luck with it. The full miltek system was about 1300 I believe, so think a custom one would come in cheaper.

The a5 has more power as standard than the old a4 from what I understand though, so might he more difficult to reach that 350 mark...

When you feel the torque and in gear acceleration of a tuned/remapped 3.0, you might find you don't need 350 horses. Mines standard and still makes me smile. I've come from fast cars aswell.

Interesting, thanks for the input guys. I have to admit I'm starting to consider the 2.0T now, I can get one for ~1-2k cheaper and put the rest into doing it up straight away, and have a high revving petrol that handles better, the only downside being mpg but thats something I can live with. I'm pretty much set on a b7 though either way, thats all I know for sure!

Whats the deal with the handling on the 3.0 tdi? The thing I loved about my gt4 was its ability to stick to the road, I'm not expecting this to be the same but as long as its not terrible I think the torque will make up for it in my mind, and I plan on lighter wheels/coilovers/sway bars to rectify the problem as much as possible, as well as some weight distribution if possible. I know I need a test drive of each really, and I will when I can, just trying to get a good understanding of both cars.

No matter which B7 you get youll want an RS4 RARB, if your looking for performance i would go 100% with a TFSI, diesels just arn't the same when it comes to having a play on the B roads. get quattro too if you can afford it / find one, neither should be too hard looking at your budget.

Mines got a standard suspension set up and it's driven properly but it's never let go once. Handling is very very good.

I have driven both the 2.0T Quattro and 3.0TDI Quattro and both are planted cars. They don't handle as well as the Jap stuff you mentioned though, and remember, the more luxurious, modern interior comes at a price. Mainly weight. So don't expect a 300 BHP A4 to be as quick as a 300 BHP Supra, as an example. Plus the Quattro system also saps away some power.

That said, it is worth it for the refinement. Best bet is to drive both. I prefer the way the torque in the diesel delivers the power, rather than the more revvy 2.0T. I would personally go for the 3.0 TDI.

You will struggle to get to 350 BHP. In fact, with the mods you have discussed, I think you would struggle to hit the 300 BHP barrier. Remember the earlier 3.0 TDI's are 204 BHP standard (or there abouts), so to gain an extra 100 BHP will require substantially more work than an exhaust and remap. I would say hitting 275 BHP should be your priority in this instance, out of the diesel.

As for the 2.0T, you are probably looking at similar figures, maybe a little less (about 260 BHP) until you start playing with the turbo. Not sure if a K04 turbo is available for the A4 2.0T (as it is in the A3 / Golf), but a properly set-up K04'd 2.0T will hit close on 340-350 BHP. If all your caring about is power, then get the petrol.

To be honest, I doubt there would be much difference in mpg between a 280 BHP 3.0 TDI and 280 BHP 2.0T with respect to fuel consumption. They will both drink like fishes while your booting it, and would probably both get mid 30's when taking it very easy. Maybe an extra 5 mpg or so out of the diesel.

Now having said all that, I own neither though. Only a 2.0 TDI and 4.2 V8 for me, lol.