B7 S4 Realistic fuel economy figures

Abb

Reaction score
Hi, am wanting to purchase a B7 Cabriolet and keep swaying towards the one I have wanted what seems like forever...the S4. Checked out the tax (460) and insurance which is reasonable (was previously running a BMW 535 AC Schnitzer E60), just wanted to know if anyone could shed any light on what sort of mpg I could expect. The published figures I know are not realistic (they never are), and I am a realist so dont expect to be getting anywhere near 30+, but am doing all my homework before taking the plunge to make sure I can afford to keep and run her! Apologies to all those that are thinking I shouldnt be concerned about fuel economy when buying such a car, but I would rather not buy one and have to sell it having found it only does 10mpg, just saving myself the heartache, after all we all have a budget!
Thanks in advance.

I get around 19-22mpg from mine, have seen 26mpg on the motorway but that was doing 60mph. They do have quite short gearing which tends to kill mpg cruising at around 70+ but I don't find it any worse than my old A4 2.8 tho and it goes like stink

I bought a 56 plate manual s4 cab a couple of months back and am so glad I did - such a fantastic machine! MPG really isn't as bad as I feared it would be, been averaging around 20 in the city, but when I have taken her on longer motorway journeys it seems to be more like 28. To be fair I had exactly the same worry about poor economy and ever rising fuel costs but managed to justify it to myself as I really don't do all that many miles a year. Plus I was going from a 23 year old 2.5 litre BM and she wasn't much less thirsty! Go for it mate!

I bought a 56 plate manual s4 cab a couple of months back and am so glad I did - such a fantastic machine! MPG really isn't as bad as I feared it would be, been averaging around 20 in the city, but when I have taken her on longer motorway journeys it seems to be more like 28. To be fair I had exactly the same worry about poor economy and ever rising fuel costs but managed to justify it to myself as I really don't do all that many miles a year. Plus I was going from a 23 year old 2.5 litre BM and she wasn't much less thirsty! Go for it mate!

23 year old bm? didnt know they lasted tha long lol
na seriously must have been well looked after
always like proper maintained older cars as its easy to detail a newer car to show standards but alot harder to maintain and detail modern classics

Reactions: tdisport
As said, about 18-24 would be normal. I averaged 23 over the last 8000 mile in my B6 S4. Can get 25-27 on the motorway depending on if I'm doing 65 or 80 mph all the way. Automatics are slightly better I hear on motorways because of their gearing, but I suspect worse around town.

Thanks guys for all your replies, just a quick update, picking up the S4 tomorrow!!!