Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Timing belt - when to change?

My A4 Avant 2.0T (petrol) will be 5 years old in October. Does the timing belt need changing at 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner)?

Also, is it best to have the water pump replaced at the same time?

My local independent garage has quoted me just over £300 to do the job. Is this reasonable?

Comments appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    5 years or 60k i think
    yes change the w/pump

On my 3rd A4! RS4 next???

Status
    According to the letter Audi sent me yesterday for my 2006 2.0t it's every 5 years or 75,000 miles.

£399 from Audi plus the water pump (I've not asked but I expect £70 extra)

It's mot time as well so might do that first then book it in next month for the cambelt.

Chris

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeymike View Post
    My A4 Avant 2.0T (petrol) will be 5 years old in October. Does the timing belt need changing at 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner)?

Also, is it best to have the water pump replaced at the same time?

My local independent garage has quoted me just over £300 to do the job. Is this reasonable?

Comments appreciated.
    That sounds a reasonable deal. Yes, like the other posters have said, five years or 75,000 miles, whichever happens sooner, and it's definitely a sensible move to get the water pump renewed at the same time. It's only about another £50 or so for the part, but it's the same labour job as the cam-belt, so change it whether it needs doing or not. The last thing you want is for a water pump that's working fine now to seize up in six months' time, and strip all the teeth off your shiny new cambelt.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    jus had this done on my car i also changed the water pump worth doing definatly
    tha sound very reasonable it cost me tha for the parts alone from TPS so very good price
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap

1st Gear

Status
    Is the timing belt different to the "Toothed belt"? In my service book it says the toothed belt is to be replaced every 115,000 miles. I have a 2.0T FSI.

1st Gear

Status
    Thay maybe 115km which is about 70,000 miles but most do it 5 years or 60,000 miles for each one whichever comes sooner i have 2.0tfsi with 138k on the clock i changed it as soon as i bought the car with 131k on. £300 ballache over £2500 of heartache was a no brainer for me
    Funky

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
    Is the timing belt different to the "Toothed belt"? In my service book it says the toothed belt is to be replaced every 115,000 miles. I have a 2.0T FSI.
    If it says 115,000 miles, it's a misprint.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    It definitely states 115,000 miles (180,000km) for a 'toothed belt replacement'. The diesels are 80,000 miles btw, according to this.

I was just unsure if this is the actual timing belt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by mikeyw; 12th May 2011 at 20:40.

5th Gear

Status
    agree with Mikey...my book shows the same, I had 55k on my old car when p/x back with Audi and there was no mention of it at all.
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    agree with Mikey...my book shows the same, I had 55k on my old car when p/x back with Audi and there was no mention of it at all.
    I bought mine with 58k on the clock and again, no mention. I'm here to be told otherwise, as I wondered if i'd got the wrong end of the stick.

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    yeah its says the same in my book but audi have revised the millage i rang them up to check they now say 80,000 miles
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap