Any other TFSI owners experience this??

prel2000

Reaction score
I've noticed this behaviour in my car several times and since I have figured out how it occurs I have managed to re-produce it every time.

So here's what it is. Basically when I start my engine from cold and drive off the car seems seems sluggish and isn't very responsive, however if after about 1 mile of driving I then park the car up leave the engine running idle, in neutral for around 5-7 minutes and then after this i drive off again the characteristics of the way the car performs totally transform. It's a lot smoother and is very responsive! This seems strange!

What I would like to know is if anybody else has or is experiencing this? what could be causing this and why doesn't the car perform as well from the word go?

My car is a 2.0T Avant Quattro 200bhp - BWE engine

Thanks in advance

Ye mine does the same but worse as it's remapped I always let the revs drop from fast idle before pulling of takes about 1min then it's fine

As far as I know its all about heat management, pretty sure you should just be able to drive along instead of having to park up, once the cars to temerature it should release it's full potential to you, rather than you bending anything with it cold. They also have issues with hot starts for a similar reason.

How much are you trying to give it when it's cold? Mine (BUL) engine seems cold but after a min when I want to make progress it seems fine. My thermostat is faulty so the engine takes ages to warm up and it quickly goes cold if cruising, got a new one to fit which I'm hoping will sort it.

How warm is yours after the 5-7 min of idling?

Chris

Hi Chris, tbh mate it's not about giving it the beans when cold. It's just the difference is so obvious when leaving it to idle after it has been driven a little. If I don't leave it to idle for around 5 mins and continue to drive it - it's stays sluggish.

I thought maybe it's a common thing with these and possibly a module/sensor needs replacing.

Is yours the same engine? Have you tried it?

My a4 2.0 TFSI cab is a little piggy when cold, I let the temperature get up to 90 (midway point on temp indicator and she runs like a dream.

EVERYTHING in this car seems very temp dependant, the gearbox especially. The car has however been transformed by running it on Shell V-Power.

never pull away fast when the engine is cold

Prel2000; In no way is that 'normal' behaviour!! Mine was great from cold and superb when warm, never had to do any kind of starting and waiting. Mine was normal for a year then remapped for a year, temperament was always ace. There's definitely something wrong; try a local garage before you go to a dealer though....