Rear tyre wear

shawshankuk

Glu Kru
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got my A4 this month and loving it however, when i went to pick it up the brakes were guffed so i replaced all four corners myself this morning.

When taking the back wheels off i noticed that the outer edge of my tyres are to the limit but the inside is like new. All four tires were put on the car about 7 months ago and the fronts are still like new and their wear is just like it should be.

I remember reading a while back that some people had issues with rear camber, toe etc but cant seem to find the thread again.

The 4 tires are uniroyal rainsport 2's. My conclusion is that the guy who had it before me my have been an overly eager driver or the tracking and camber is out.

My car is a 2.0tdi S Line Avant 2006 fwd. I understand that being a diesel, the torque can wear tires down prematurely but i thought since its front wheel drive, this shouldn't happen on the rear or does it?

I need to get 2 new tires for the rear but before i do i wanted to ask all the pro's on here first.

Also, can anyone recommended tires? Uniroyals are a bit pricey for me @ £165 each corner.

Help appreciated or any links to old threads on this.

Or left to right, rears seems to wear on the inside, its the default setup of the car.

yeah, i sure i had read a thread before on rear tyre issues before i bought the car but i cant find anything now. Im going to take it to my local and see if there is anything seriously wrong.

thanks for the replies

Thanks for the advice re tyres. For me its a problem getting them fitted. Most places refuse point blank if i want to supply tyres or they charge rediculas amounts for fitting.

Im in Edinburgh and i have booked the car into CLCM in sighthill for a full tracking, camber and toe check. will get this done before i buy some new rubber. Its only costing £57 all in including adjustmnents.

Was also looking at avon ZZ3 tyres as i can get these fitted for £111 per corner. Anyone have first hand experience with these?

I used to find that going to a kwik fit or similar and offering cash in hand to fit tyres to rims got it done fairly cheap probably £5-£10 a corner depending on who you get.

I however really don't like Kwik fit actually I haven't found a tyre place I like at all. Seems to be full of knobs.

Next time I replace a tyre which is "planned" (i.e not needed straight away) ill probably go onto black circles and get it booked into somewhere through them.

Thanks for the replys on this.

Finally got it sorted.

Booked my car into CLCM at sighthill Edinburgh.

Turns out that fronts were swapped to back however, all four corners were needing adjusted but that's me driving straight now.

Just in case your interested it cost me £49.50 for a full alignment check and adjustment.

Just got my timing belt to get done at star perfomance in April and Im sorted but I wish I could scrape enough together for a remap.