Volks AutosEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

LED replacement for DRL?

Hi, have the xenons with the DRL on them (single bulb, not a strip). I've upgraded my sidelights to LEDs, but these are bigger bulbs and are yellow

Does anyone know if I can get LEDs to replace these with (they're not the sidelight ones)?

Cheers
    Razza
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

2. # ADS
    ADS

loves quattro

Status
    Yes mate - you can in effect replace them with any ba15s type LED bulb.

However, you will need to fit a pair of load resistors with most types to meet the needs of canbuc and be aware that different bulbs can look quite different within the lens. I find those with SMD bulbs are best.

These suggest you don't need resistors Canbus white 27 SMD LED BA15s 1156 382 bulbs

Rich

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks, have thought about non LED, as the LED bulbs don't look great in the housing, however struggled to find white ones. People recommend the PIAA H367 chrome bulbs, however they're 27W vs the OEM 21W, and are potentially known to fry the housings....

would these fit?
    MTEC P21w 382 (1156) Chrome Super White Xenon Bulbs on eBay (end time 07-Apr-11 22:52:17 BST)
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Neutral

Status
    Hi razza1, Did you get anywhere with this? I really want to replace my DRL's too they are dull and yellow . If you go the load resistor route I assume they have to be wired in serial?

08 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Cabriolet Special Edition, Electric seats, RNS-E Satnav, OEM BLuetooth, SmartTop

5th Gear

Status
    nope haven't got anywhere yet but pushed for time to be honest to look into further at the moment

A3 Newbie

Status
    I found these bulbs with built in load resistors. The description says they will work but not 100% if they do, still worth a punt though.

Canbus white 27 SMD LED BA15s 1156 382 bulbs
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line

Mods: Stage 1 Engine Remap by Angel Tuning, K&N Panel Filter, Rear Window Tints.
    To Do: Black Optics, New HUD, Straight through exhaust.

loves quattro

Status
    The PIAA 27w versions are fine heat wise, but to be honest aren't 'that' White......

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    Phantom Black Audi A4 2.0T FSi Quattro S-Line Special Edition
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more

Neutral

Status
    Ok replaced the side lights, no light out warnings and they look great . Thanks Ultramodz i've bought all the bits on your write up. Numberplate LEDs fitted with no errors So I have spare resistors. I fitted the DRL's one is faulty so need to return them to. I spent a lot of time considering locations for the resistors. I think i will make a metal bracket to screw them to the chassis somewhere and try and splice into the loom rather than scotch locks, so the light units remain watertight, but we will see. Next project I was thinking about was fitting the missing extra boot light and the door warning and puddle lights. Any P/N links to guides appreciated.

08 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Cabriolet Special Edition, Electric seats, RNS-E Satnav, OEM BLuetooth, SmartTop

5th Gear

Status
    going to give these a try, worth it if they are any closer to white than the current ones (as also sounds like the PIAA ones aren't very white anyway...), as much cheaper than alternatives, and can't be dealing with wiring in resistors etc...

will let you know what they look like.

5th Gear

Status
    getting the number plate ones as well, gjwell, hoping these don't have issues, if they do I may take those resistors off your hand...

5th Gear

Status
    wow, quick service, ordered the number plate ones yesterday, arrived today, just fitted, and no errors

5th Gear

Status
    Just fitted the DRL lights (5min job), more blueish than white to be honest, but better than the horrible yellow, and at 11 delivered much more value for money than the PIAAs. They also sent me a wrong bulb by mistake (2 pin contact), so sent two more bulbs. So I have a spare one pin now in case one blows

Can't load photos to photobucket at work, anyone want to host it for me? PM me your email address and I'll send over.

5th Gear

Status