Buying Advice, Mileage etc...

Matt_xr

Reaction score
Hi guys, new on the forum. Have been looking for a new car for a while, was at first looking at A3's but decided they werent really for us and to small, so have started looking at A4 S-Line Avant's. Now i have seen a few for sale that i liked and were in my price range, i just wondered what your thoughts were on buying say a 56 plate with over 100k on the clock? To me it seems high mileage but it seems that most of them for sale are aproaching the 100k mark. Just wondered if there is anything to watch out for? Or is it worth waiting to find one with lower mileage? Im looking at the 140bhp version.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Too be honest if it has been well looked after you should be fine, these engines go forever if correctly maintained.

However obviously still be carefull, i have a 56 plate and have 55,000 on the clock.

Whats your budget if you dont mind me asking, as i have seen plently of 56/57 plates with less than 60-70k miles.

I've had the front suspension links start to fail on both the A4's I had at 110-120k.

I replaced them one at a time as they started to knock. I suppose if you don't mind the knocking they could last a while till they fail an mot.

Cost about £150 ea fitted singularly (car has 6).

Oh and my 3.0 tdi needed £3k spending on the engine at 120k - think that's unlucky not normal fash tho!

Now got a petrol with 44k on it - no rattles!

Chris

Too be honest if it has been well looked after you should be fine, these engines go forever if correctly maintained.

However obviously still be carefull, i have a 56 plate and have 55,000 on the clock.

Whats your budget if you dont mind me asking, as i have seen plently of 56/57 plates with less than 60-70k miles.

Hi mate,
I'm thinking up to around 11-12k max mate, but the reason I was asking is because I've seen 2 at the 7-8k with 120k with FASH. Just wondered wether it was worth me buying one with that mileage on it.
Cheers for your help
Matt

I'd say no! Spend your whole budget and you'll get a much better car that will be less likely to need money spending on it.

Chris

My 140, S line Avant was bought for £6500 (I'm 19 hence i tried to save as much money as possible!!)

It was at 135,000 when i bought it and in the past 9 months i've added another 21,000 miles without a single problem, except the oil pump failing the second i bought it because it was the crappy BLB engine!!! (05 plate engine)

The only other problem i had was it needed a new AUX belt because it started to screech on full lock.

I service every 10K and major service every 20K. Before that it was on long life service :(

I have a 2.0tFSi Petrol s line on a 55 plate i bought it last year with 131k on the clock i immediately spent £200 doing the cambelt/tensioners etc. its now on 140k it runs like a dream. I do think it depends on how many miles a year you do. I do 8000 as i commute to work so spending 10-11k on 50000 mile to sit outside the house 5 days a week made no sense but 4850 i paid has been money well spent so far.