A4 170bhp off the shelf tuning

ridgy666

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I bit the bullet and traded in my '03 A4 Cab 1.8T for a '07 A4 Sline 170bhp tdi last week from the Teesside Audi.

I've recently been "relocated" to a southern location (gotta love the forces!) and now do a 400mile round trip each weekend up the A1.

After 1 journey in the cab cost me £80 I decided it's was time to grow up and get a diesel. No complains about the motor, it's gorgeous and much better to drive than my cab, only complaint is the mpg is not what I expected by a long shot.

I've trawled through the threads and looks like I've bought the wrong diesel, am getting around 40-45mpg sat at 70mph on cruise control. I'm after increasing this slightly and wondered if anyone had purchased an off the shelf "tuning module" for the 170bhp model and what kind of returns they get on this. Also and recommendations would be great, I know what a good lot populate they boards.

I've currently got a eBay bought tuning module (£25) on the wife's golf gt tdi 130bhp and it goes like the stink as well as been better on fuel when driven normally.

Here's a typical module I've seen for the a4:

DTUK® CRD2® Multimap Power System | chip tuning boxes from Diesel Tuning UK

I've got a 2.0 tdi 170 s-line quattro saloon. I was going to get a Revo remap before Christmas when they had an offer on. Unfortunately i was told they had withdrawn the map because of issues with the DPF. I ended up with a Bluefin map which was about £400 iirc. I'm happy with the map and the performance, and no DPF issues yet. My car is otherwise standard - no filter or exhaust (yet).

There was probably a very small improvement in economy after the remap; maybe 1 or 2 mpg. But nothing to get massively excited about, and it'll take a long time to recoup the cost if the remap. But then that's not why I had it done...

The 2.0 170 tdi is a bit rubbish on the fuel. I have got 39 mpg or so over 3500 miles or so of mostly motorway miles. I can get 42+ mpg on a long journey at an indicated 75 mph. My car has quattro though which'll nock a bit off.

I have had all sortes with mine. from 33MPG all the way up to 50MPG, but normally get 45-50 ish. So mine is pretty good. I have the S-line 170. No mods or anything.
Better than the wifes 1.2 petrol polo who seems go get 24MPG yes you did read it right.

I have one of these fitted to my Seat EXEO CR 170, and have had no problems to date. 4 map profiles and 20 turbo pressure settings, mines at map 3 and plus 1 on the turbo. Getting around 52mpg at 80 mph [ satnav 76mph] and this is on a tight engine less than 3k miles :happy:

Last edited:
That seems pretty tidy Oldoiler...did you purchase the one above or off eBay. I think I might go for it as even a few extra mpg's would save me a good wedge.

No, I went to their web site DTUK I think you get a further 10 % off too . It is a bit expensive but at least I can transfer to another VAG lump. [ I have just noticed you signature and you are on a PD lump, you will not get these mpg's only the CR lump appears capable of these figures - unless it is PD only and NO DPF fitted !!] I have had both 170 engine PD/CR and my earlier PD only got 36-40 mpg at the simlar speeds - hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I thought I had a CR lump. Bit of research and it's def a PD and allows me to get the same £25 tuning unit I bought for the missus's Golf.

Gives me a reported boost from 170 to around 195-205bhp which is nice but hopefully a slight increase in mpg.

Anybody fitted a PD unit to the 170bhp a4?

Bit more than £25!!! Anybody got any experiences of increased mpg on either of these? I'd rather waste £25 than £315!

I wouldnt spend £25 on a part that claims to tune my car. What your paying for at that price is a 50p resistor in a box which attaches to fuel line to trick the ecu to deliver more fuel. Although it will give you temporary power increase its only a matter of miles before problems start

the 25 quid ones are crap as above they fool your ecu into some crap and use more fuel not less

I know lads who've had them on for 100k with no issues with increases in mpg as well as throttle response and extra power if needed. Just don't know anyone whose fitted it to the 170bhp.

Personally I wouldn't recommend doing a straight remap on the 170PPD engine because of the problems which occur with the in-famous DPF!!

We offer a DPF delete service for the A4 which can see gains up to 230bhp and 330ft/lb of torque, as well as economy gains on average between 10-15mpg!

This can be found on the JBS website on the link below:-
OEM look De-DPF For Longitudinal Engines Package - JBS

Any questions feel free to give us a call on 01246 455 005.

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor.

We offer a DPF delete service for the A4 which can see gains up to 230bhp and 330ft/lb of torque, as well as economy gains on average between 10-15mpg!.
Having had ALL manners of remaps petrol and diesel AND with the changes to the MOT's due out this year, Which ALSO include looking for OE part numbers on suspect parts!! I would hold off until it is clear on how we stand [ I agree DPF delete Is the way to go and can use less fuel etc.] But the UK stick to the EU rules - unlike some of our EU partner's that just pay lip service !!

Sorry to rehash the thread, but did you opt for anything in the end? Am looking at a DTUK box myself and am looking for info

I need some help please I've got a A3 2.0 tdi 170 quattro sport 2006 reg and I was thinking about getting a remap/chip but I don't no nothing about it I live in Nottingham/derby area so if any one can tell me were to go I would be grateful. How much extra bhp would it give me and how much will it cost thanks....

Whats DPF?

Yeah, I know, dumb question, but I don't know what it is.

I recently bought a S Line 170 and also am looking at improving the fuel economy, I have been getting around 45mpg on the motorway and surprisingly not too much less around town. Has anyone had a remap done and will there be any problems with Audi servincing?

Ihave been using one for the last 4months with impressive results using settings 3&2thats map. Turbo respectively MPG is around 50/53 @ 80. MPH. The only problem that has not been addressed is the occasional flat spot @ 1.8k which a remap would remove

I asked the same question on a previous thread and that tuning box got very mixed reviews, so I didn't bother.

Ok, have gone for a remap, drive in this morning was sensible till i was a mile from the office and wheel spinning in 3rd!