AH FabricationsEM Tuning

Thread: Windows Tints

Reverse Gear

Status

Windows Tints

Hi guys,

So I have more or less installed my double din sat nav now. Big thanks to the guys on this. My next project I would like to have done is to have the windows tinted.

I have seen a few posts on here where people have done the back windows around 35% tint. Because I have installed a sat nav double din, and even though it well jammed in, I would like tint the front windows for additional security plus I dont see the point in doing half

What do you guys reckon to tints, I don't want to take the car to look over the top. Just on a nice smart level. Once I get home I will post some pics of the car. it's a 2006 2.0 T a4.

Would you guys recommend 35% back and front or slightly darker / lighter either way.

And do you know anyone from the Derby (midlands) area that could potentially have this done for me. and what is the normal costs.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    There are laws governing the tinting of front windows. IIRC, it is illegal to tint your front windscreen and there is a maximum limit for the driver/passenger window. You are likely to get stopped by the Police as it is something they are particularly hot on.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

5th Gear

Status
    Hi Mike,
    I have had my windows tinted, highly recommended, however be careful with the percentages, according to VOSA (I know a guy who works or them) near and offside front windows must allow no less than 75% of light transmission, this comes under the "danger of injury" law, the rear windows on mine are as dark as I could get.
    So.... happy tinting.

I used a company called The Tintman, from Essex, total cost Ł175 (thats 7 windows in all).

Mac
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler.

Avantageous

Status
    Ł175 sounds good, sounds very good! I paid Ł250 for all my tints on my old B6, I had 75% on all the side windows, and 50% on the rear. IMO, it was plenty. With a black interior it made the car from the outside look very dark, and it looked classy too. 50% on the rear was nice, as it was likely having an auto dimming rear view mirror at night.

One thing I would say is when tinting the rear window, spend the extra time removing the trim around the window on the inside. Otherwise you get a very small gap (probably 3 or 4mm) and it just really annoyed me.

On a side note, I tried window tinting myself the other day on my step dads nissan navara. Bloody hell its difficult! Yeah, you can get the tint for like Ł10, but it is very much worth the extra to pay a professional to do it as you will never get it as good as they do!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFurlong View Post
    Ł175 sounds good, sounds very good! I paid Ł250 for all my tints on my old B6, I had 75% on all the side windows, and 50% on the rear. IMO, it was plenty. With a black interior it made the car from the outside look very dark, and it looked classy too. 50% on the rear was nice, as it was likely having an auto dimming rear view mirror at night.

One thing I would say is when tinting the rear window, spend the extra time removing the trim around the window on the inside. Otherwise you get a very small gap (probably 3 or 4mm) and it just really annoyed me.

On a side note, I tried window tinting myself the other day on my step dads nissan navara. Bloody hell its difficult! Yeah, you can get the tint for like Ł10, but it is very much worth the extra to pay a professional to do it as you will never get it as good as they do!
    Absolutely agree, best off to have it professionally done.

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Guys,

Sorry, i should have said i didnt want to do the front screen. Just the side and back window.

Well if anyone knows of any tint people around derby, then please let me know. Am sure to give them a bell in the next few days.

I think i might follow Chris. 75% side and 50% back. Chris do you have any photos of your car.

Thanks again guys.

Avantageous

Status
    Ooooh a chance to whore my old car....

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    I went for 35% rear screen & rear side windows, and 45% on the front side windows...

It depends on the quality & thickness of the film. I paid Ł250 & I went for a midrange film. The cheaper film would have been Ł175, the top film would have been Ł400. Also, the cheaper films don't have as many percentage grades.

I got mine done by these guys: Tint My Car | Exclusive Window Tinting London

An older pic, but a side-on one:

Last edited by ultramodz; 9th March 2011 at 12:49.
    Phantom Black Audi A4 2.0T FSi Quattro S-Line Special Edition
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more

5th Gear

Status
    Guys how do you get your pics to show up that way in posts

5th Gear

Status
    A mate did mine for me as he used to do it as his profession, he has done two cars for me and uses 3M film which is really very good, don't get sh*te for Ł10 a roll it's only worth Ł10. It looks pretty to good if you match back and front or at least have them similar. Mine are very dark all round and so far iv had no trouble and mine gets parked in P station car park everyday. Police tend to vary from place to place on how they take tints.

Last week in Bradford roads policing were pulled up alongside me looking through the tints into the car on M62 and they just drove off.
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sunguard Windows in Cov is the best, had my previous car done from them, also had the house windows done and have had few others sent there for their cars.

Welcome: Sunguard Window Filming / Tinting – providing solar, glare, energy, UV, privacy and safety solutions, for commercial, office, retail, residential and vehicles (car)
    2007 A4 2.0T FSI quattro SE

Avantageous

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Guys how do you get your pics to show up that way in posts
    You have to use [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] around the link of the picture, just take out the spaces. Or click the little picture of a tree above the text reply box! The one that says Insert Image.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFurlong View Post
    You have to use [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] around the link of the picture, just take out the spaces. Or click the little picture of a tree above the text reply box! The one that says Insert Image.
    Thanks Chris i'll give that a go

Mac

5th Gear

Status

trial run lol

5th Gear

Status
    ok sussed it, many thanks chris

5th Gear

Status

Mine, don't know percentage but there dark.
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs

1st Gear

Status
    I too, like Ultramods got mine done at TINT MY CAR!

They are excellent, though take AGES and have kept me waiting for so long on previous cars...BUT, if you book in advance, drop it in and touch wood they get it done on time then you'll be extremely happy. They do an excellent job and use very good quality tint.

I paid Ł180 on my avant, due to discount because i was a previous customer...

FAO ULTRAMODS: Are you a local boy? I'm from down the road, Wanstead?
    Things to do: Lower on coilovers, spacers, front end respray and a full correctional detail!

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahim View Post
    I too, like Ultramods got mine done at TINT MY CAR!

They are excellent, though take AGES and have kept me waiting for so long on previous cars...BUT, if you book in advance, drop it in and touch wood they get it done on time then you'll be extremely happy. They do an excellent job and use very good quality tint.

I paid Ł180 on my avant, due to discount because i was a previous customer...

FAO ULTRAMODS: Are you a local boy? I'm from down the road, Wanstead?
    Not too local - I'm in Hornsey, N8.

I think I saw their ad on Gumtree of all places!
    Phantom Black Audi A4 2.0T FSi Quattro S-Line Special Edition
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more