Noisey tappet

PhilMill63

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an 06 2.0t fsi with 51k and full service history, when it's cold it's silent, sounds lovely, however once it warms up it sound like it has one really noisey tappet, even the wife moans about it!, now I think these are hydraulic so I wonder if I have a dodgy one?? I remember old VW's having issues with lifters so do these motors have issues?

Any comments, Phil

well the fsiT sounds like a diesel this is what you may be hearing
or could be your cam chain tenisoner
very very uncommon for tappets to pack up and at 51k id say CCT or just the normal noise these cars make

Thanks, cam chain tensioner? not sure its that type of noise, definatley sounds like a tappet! it is not mutliple noise just a single tick tick tick. I assume the tensioner would sound like it would sound from my biking days?

Phil

Thought the tfsi had a cam belt?

Agree on the odd noises, mine sounds like the injectors are noisy.

Chris

Many years ago I bought a Ford RS2000. Nice and quite when cold but made a tick tick sound just like your car when hot. Turned out to be a cracked manifold and the exhuast gas was being forced through the crack, bolted on a new manifold and everything was sweet. I'm not saying that's what it is with your car but many things can cause the same sound like tappets. good luck.

You'd hear a cam chain tensioner more on start up and as above, I thought it was belt driven.