140 TDi Exhaust + Filter

Chin.

P88LSH
Reaction score
Grangetown, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom, United
Hi

Has anyone got a straight through (no boxes, cat etc) exhaust on their TDi ? I'm considering one but don't want it to be too loud and since it's quite a modern car i'm unsure if it's any good to get rid of the whole exhaust. I just want the "pigeon" kinda sound from the turbo like i had on my Passat TDi, that only had a cone filter and decat and sounded pretty good.

Maybe someone's got a custom ss exhaust like Miltek etc? I looked around and it seems to be £500+ to get one made, where as my local exhaust place can get rid of my whole exhaust for a couple of hundred quid.

Also, has anyone got a cone filter on their TDi ? I was thinking of getting a Jetex one but dunno if it's any good for the MAF ?

Any help appriciated , cheers !

Panel filter or BMC Viper to be safe with MAF, as for the exhaust, i reckon a filter and cat back will achieve this and more, you can have a twin exit cat back made up for £320 if you shop around, you will also need the drivers side exhaust hanger and heat shield and a 2.0T / tdo 170 / S4 valence.

i need an exhaust doing myself so let me know how you get on.

Cheers mate, never had a panel filter before - would it make a difference to the sound ?

There's a place near me that does custom exhaust , a few mates of mine had theirs done and they're happy with the results. I will probably pay them a visit soon !

How much am i looking to pay for a rear valance ?

Cheers for your help :)

All the Audi parts are about £70 for the lot.

Iv never had a panel filter on a diesel but it will get more air in which should give you abit of whistle, dont take my word for it as thats hardly a technical explaination ha ha.

exhaust is prob your best bet.

on my Scooby i couldn't hear the turbo at all, Panel filter and full system exhaust and it was screaming.

Diesels are prob a tad different though?

They are indeed, thanks for the advice mate - got the part number for all the bits and bobs to fit the valance ?

Diesels have no throttle body and don't need a dump valve , i will order a panel filter and EGR removal kit and then get the exhaust done and then map it !

Sounds like a similar plan to me. Tell me more about egr delete? What's involved, where, prices?

I don't have part numbers but Audi will find them for you easily enough, it's the tdi170 hanger and heat shield with an S4 diffuser.

On my old car i simply blocked the EGR with some blanking plates on both ends and it worked a treat. I don't really wanna do a bodge job on this so tried looking for an Allard delete kit but couldn't find one for this engine so found a Motorsport one for £53 somewhere on the net, i got it saved on my computer so ill post the link to it tomorrow (i'm at my gf's atm!) You basically take the EGR valve off and replace it with a s/s piece of pipe , that's all. AFAIK Allard kit also has a little "nipple" kinda thing where you can connect your vacuum hose if you had a boost gauge - very good piece of kit !

Cheers for the info on the exhaust side of things mate, need to pay off my holidays first and then ill sort the 'zorst out :)

Nice one, then obviously it will want mapping after that's blocked off, what's the perks to getting it blocked then?

I have spent a fortune on mine since december, exhaust or RS4 grill is next then hopefully a red leather interior, black roof lining and some major ice :)

Nice one, then obviously it will want mapping after that's blocked off, what's the perks to getting it blocked then?

I have spent a fortune on mine since december, exhaust or RS4 grill is next then hopefully a red leather interior, black roof lining and some major ice :)

I recommend an ITG panel filter, got one on my 3.0l definatly makes a slight difference.

Hmmm I'll definately look into that, angel tuning knoc out carbon induction kits but don't know how good they are?

Don't you get the fault code on b7's when blanking the EGR's ?

Looks good mate but there both listed as A3 and iirc the engines are slightly different in A4, I know the induction kits for A3 won't fit A4 for a start. Maybe exhaust is different too?

I have a stainless system fitted to my car from the centre silencer back. You can definately hear the turbo more and when you rev it up it sounds much more petrol like. The idle is deeper but its not at all intrusive. I think if you want a loud exhaust then diesel is not the way forward but if your just after more turbo noise then its a perfect way of getting it.

i have a tdi 140 bhp (bkd) fitted a green cotton filter and not made any diffrence too sound ...

Wow, have you seen there stage 2 kits? 220-240hp from a tdi, that's a great increase - shame it needs a £700 clutch to go with it.

I have a panel filter and made no difference to noise no pigeon sounds.
Unlike my old Ibiza Cupra TDi which just couldnt help itself!!

Looking at the exhaust myself what about decat exhaust does that make much difference?

Yeah that's how you get the pigeon sound, by removing cat and to make it louder you get rid of the silencers.

Anyone thought of getting a panel filter and drilling the airbox ?

I'm deffo not looking for a stupid loud sound from the exhaust i just want to hear the turbo more and make it "dump off" when changing gear ! :D

Yeah that's how you get the pigeon sound, by removing cat and to make it louder you get rid of the silencers.

Anyone thought of getting a panel filter and drilling the airbox ?

I'm deffo not looking for a stupid loud sound from the exhaust i just want to hear the turbo more and make it "dump off" when changing gear ! :D

This is what the 3.0 tdi sounds like with a miltek exhaust systems.

or

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, let me know how it all goes and I might be ordering one myself.

I have got a Pipercross panel filter from a 2.0T petrol and removed the virtual birds nest from the air box and i can clearly hear the "Pigeon" noise on gear changes

Ah I see, did the petrol filter just go straight in then? Sounds like a good idea.

Yup fitted perfect, from what i can see the air boxes are identical. My friend with the petrol has a swanky induction kit which im contemplating as in theory it should fit the same ?????

I wanted a carbonia but there not listed for Tdi, should fit but might not run properly?

I'll def be trying the panel filter at some point.