Badger5Monster Motorsport
Results 1 to 39 of 39
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Audi_Doodey

Thread: Changing headlight bulbs

  1. #1
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,002

    Changing headlight bulbs

    08 B7 A4 Avant.
    I want to put in better headlight bulbs, its looks very tight and fiddly. Is there an easier way?

    I have had a search regarding the best bulbs and just got more confused. I want brighter headlights that are white and am looking to change main and high beam, not worried about spotlights.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,480
    2 ways to change
    1 bumper off
    2 very tight with lights in place but if can be done

  4. #3
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,002
    The bumper has to come off?
    Oh crap. Anyone fancy doing it for cash?

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  5. #4
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,480
    no as i said above u can leave bumper on and do it that way but its fiddly and tight but can be done

  6. #5
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,002
    I don't have the hands for it, I have limited feeling in my hands, hence an easy way is prefereable, but me taking the bumper off is not really an option. I could probably manage the high beam but the mains I won't have a chance of doing.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  7. #6
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    I don't have the hands for it, I have limited feeling in my hands, hence an easy way is prefereable, but me taking the bumper off is not really an option. I could probably manage the high beam but the mains I won't have a chance of doing.
    I have to warn you if you try it yourself, ensure no one is around when your doing this as after 2 hours of trying and hurting your hands you will probably want to kill the nearest human.

    I managed to do it after almost 2 hours, and i have small hands!!, if you have big hands forget it, its utterly stupid how difficult and tight it is.

    I actually lost one of the side light bulbs in the headlight, and cant get it out now.

    In the end i managed to change the headlights, there is a knack to it, i.e you have to have your hand at the right angles and in the perfect place, it takes alot of trial and error just to learn how to do it correctly.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  8. #7
    Triple.O.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,125
    I did it today very easily.

    Remove the airbox, 2 minute job then remove cap, remove the connector which just pulls off, then get some pliers in the headlights connector and yank it out.

    Do the same for passenger side but first remove the black tank thats behind it, think its power steering? its attached to the washer bottle with same bolt.

    Its easy mate.

    or ill do it for 1000
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs


  9. #8
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,002
    Anyone want to do it for less than a grand?

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  10. #9
    Wrath's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    1,185
    I managed to get my hand in there. Probably best to get a female of the species to do the work.
    Nathan

    Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

    Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

  11. #10
    Triple.O.G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,125
    Just remove the two bits mate honestly, to get to the passenger side is 1 x 10mm bolt, the airbox is 2 screws to undo the intake then pull it out, its only popped into gromets underneath.

    If i were closer i'd do it for you mate but its a bit of a drive.
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs


  12. #11
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,002
    I may well have a go. Now, how about bulb suggestions for main and high beam?

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Staines-upon-Thames
    Posts
    3
    i managed to change the driver-side headlight bulb after 2 hours and 2 separate occasions(it wasn't fitted properly the first time which only becomes evident at night). There are three torx screws, one on the very top (remove completely), one on the left-side (loosen slightly) and one hidden down under the headlamp unit on the right side(as you're facing the front of the car). You need a very long torx screwdriver to loosen this last one. Then you can move the entire headlamp unit forward about an inch and that should give you the room you need to change the bulb without removing the entire front bumper. However, this is the easy part! Actually changing the bulb is much more tricky. There are three metal prongs which secure the bulb in place, removing and fitting should simply be a case of pulling/pushing into place. But if anyone has an easy way to do this bearing in mind the space limitation and technique required than that information would be very useful.
    My point here is this...it is law in most European Countries to carry a spare bulb kit. WHY WHY WHY do you need to carry a spare bulb kit in the car f you cannot change the bulb without removing parts of the car and require special tools to do so (ie. Torx screwdriver which is NOT supplied with the car). Also, should you stop on the motorway and start removing the front bumper because the bulb has blown? Er, I don't think so. Audi have some explaining to do IMO.
    Molnboman likes this.

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    82
    Audi headlights are a bit of a joke. Misting up with the slightest bit of rain and then almost impossible to change the bulb.

  15. #14
    g00se's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi_Doodey View Post
    i managed to change the driver-side headlight bulb after 2 hours and 2 separate occasions(it wasn't fitted properly the first time which only becomes evident at night). There are three torx screws, one on the very top (remove completely), one on the left-side (loosen slightly) and one hidden down under the headlamp unit on the right side(as you're facing the front of the car). You need a very long torx screwdriver to loosen this last one. Then you can move the entire headlamp unit forward about an inch and that should give you the room you need to change the bulb without removing the entire front bumper. However, this is the easy part! Actually changing the bulb is much more tricky. There are three metal prongs which secure the bulb in place, removing and fitting should simply be a case of pulling/pushing into place. But if anyone has an easy way to do this bearing in mind the space limitation and technique required than that information would be very useful.
    My point here is this...it is law in most European Countries to carry a spare bulb kit. WHY WHY WHY do you need to carry a spare bulb kit in the car f you cannot change the bulb without removing parts of the car and require special tools to do so (ie. Torx screwdriver which is NOT supplied with the car). Also, should you stop on the motorway and start removing the front bumper because the bulb has blown? Er, I don't think so. Audi have some explaining to do IMO.
    I looked into this recently - and this was the answer i got back from the EU.

    They changed the law in 2006: "new types of vehicles have to be designed in a way that lighting can be inserted and removed from the holder of its device without tools." It would appear that manufacturers were able to misinterpret this, so it was clarified in 2008 to ensure that the driver can replace the light source without the need of complex procedures or the assistance of a trained mechanic. note that this only applies to new models ("types"), implying I think that they didn't force them to change any vehicles that were already in production, only new types as they go through the approval process.

    I guess this means all B7s are screwed - and i now need to get a B8 S4 so i can change my own bulbs :-)

    goose
    Current:
    '08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

    Past:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Staines-upon-Thames
    Posts
    3
    My local garage, who does all our servicing for both our cars, advised they'd only charge me for the replacement bulb should it blow in future, no labour fees on top. But I still have to get the car to them during their opening hours (and book a 10 minute slot). Ridiculous is the only word for it, I wonder how much the Audi garage would charge for this? (Q.How many Audi engineers does it take to change a light-bulb?)

  17. #16
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Not sure about non avants or rhd's, but the near side main beam was done by my garage in about 2 minutes....the airbox / off side would defo take longer. After the feckin nightmare I had owning an Opel and nearly topping myself over how feckin ridiculous I felt not being able to change a bloody headlamp, am fried with anxiety now everytime I hear the slightest mention of headlight bulp changing! I remember my old 93 Aero and you had both mainbeam and side light bulbs changed before the kettle boiled! Pfffffffff

    A

  18. #17
    Missed gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    386
    It is fiddly but I haven't found it too difficult to change the bulbs (must have small hands with long fingers!). Easy enough to pull out the bulbs but tricky to put them back in at the right angle. Sometimes easier plugging them in first so you can hold the plug and look through the front of the headlight to get them correctly seated.

    I have tried the majority of the bulbs out there and without a doubt nightbreakers seem the best to me.
    B7 A4 Avant S-line Special Edition v2 2.0 TFSi - AmD stage 1 - 263Bhp 396Nm

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    89
    Its a ******* of a job but its not impossible - i found it harder to pull out the sidelights as they were in like the rock of gibraltar

    Worth it though, i got some bulbs from the chap on here, really good

    On the subject of misting up, i was surprised to find that once the cap on the back of the headlight is removed the reflector part is really flexible, and barely sealed - seems very cheap (and mine mist up like a bugger too)

  20. #19
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Well, it's now or never....just blown my offside headlamp bulb.....am I man enough to do them myself?!!! Am I right in thinking that both main beam and full beam are H7's....or have I ordered the wrong ones from T8ups!

    Cheers
    A

  21. #20
    WOLF's Avatar
    I am WOLF.......

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Well, it's now or never....just blown my offside headlamp bulb.....am I man enough to do them myself?!!! Am I right in thinking that both main beam and full beam are H7's....or have I ordered the wrong ones from T8ups!



    Cheers
    A
    Yeh both H7's mate,sidelights 511.did mine yesterday and its fiddly but do able.

  22. #21
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Cheers Steev...Great, yeagh I bought the full light kit plus fog lights from T8ups ages ago but was waiting for one to go before attempting them all...not sure if I have the guts to do it...or the hands....may chicken out and go to my friendly garage next village.....I have the hands of a musician don't ya know! hehehe # sh@tebag!

    What about the fog lights...I understand they are quite easy....or is that wishful thinking on my part.

    Cheers
    A
    Last edited by Molnboman; 27th May 2013 at 21:17.

  23. #22
    WOLF's Avatar
    I am WOLF.......

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Cheers Steev...Great, yeagh I bought the full light kit plus fog lights from T8ups ages ago but was waiting for one to go before attempting them all...not sure if I have the guts to do it...or the hands....may chicken out and got to my friendly garage next village.....I have than hands of a musician don't ya know! hehehe # sh@tebag!

    What about the fog lights...I understand they are quite easy....or is that wishful thinking on my part.

    Cheers
    A
    I never did my fogs but read somewhere there easy to do!
    Give it a go mate,fiddly yes but can be done.I found long nose pliers helpfull.

  24. #23
    WOLF's Avatar
    I am WOLF.......

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    657
    Just to say mine is a b6 mate not b7.bulbs are the same though.

    heres info how to change fog bulbs...

    fog light change - how?

  25. #24
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Steev View Post
    I never did my fogs but read somewhere there easy to do!
    Give it a go mate,fiddly yes but can be done.I found long nose pliers helpfull.
    Yeagh, you are right....they can't be more suicidally difficult than Zafira B.....I lost it a few times with the lights in that vehicle. Definitely a design afterthought when the GM draftsmen made that thing. I have been traumatised ever since....time to Man up!

  26. #25
    Chris-Vspec's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Verwood, Dorset
    Posts
    248
    I have recently replaced all the bulbs on the front end of our b7.

    fog lights = Easy 5 min job, just need a flat blade and a T10 screw driver

    Main Beam= fiddly but can be done, just remove airbox intake and bulb cover, bulb just pulls out replace and push back in.

    Dipped Beam = slightly more fiddly due to space but once done main beam its fairly straight forwards.

    Side light = OMG scary, you basically need to pull the wires to the sidelight bulb fairly hard, they pop out, once replaced i looked into the light from the front to line up the new bulb and then pushed it home again not overly difficult just pull gently to ensure the wiring doesnt come off the bulb carrier.

    I got the complete set for the front for 29.10 delivered from t8ups, arrived quickly and no error lights on dash I couldnt be happier.

    I would like to add I am not mechanically minded at all and break most things but I managed to do this ok so it really isnt that difficult.

  27. #26
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-Vspec View Post
    I have recently replaced all the bulbs on the front end of our b7.

    fog lights = Easy 5 min job, just need a flat blade and a T10 screw driver

    Main Beam= fiddly but can be done, just remove airbox intake and bulb cover, bulb just pulls out replace and push back in.

    Dipped Beam = slightly more fiddly due to space but once done main beam its fairly straight forwards.

    Side light = OMG scary, you basically need to pull the wires to the sidelight bulb fairly hard, they pop out, once replaced i looked into the light from the front to line up the new bulb and then pushed it home again not overly difficult just pull gently to ensure the wiring doesnt come off the bulb carrier.

    I got the complete set for the front for 29.10 delivered from t8ups, arrived quickly and no error lights on dash I couldnt be happier.

    I would like to add I am not mechanically minded at all and break most things but I managed to do this ok so it really isnt that difficult.
    Cheers Chris.....can you expand a bit on the fog lights.....how do you get at them?

    BR
    A

  28. #27
    Chris-Vspec's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Verwood, Dorset
    Posts
    248
    I have posted pics on here, went out last night and whipped one off to take pics for Chez as his are misting up inside, hope it helps, it seriously only takes a few moments to do, dont be scared of this one.

    Anybody know how to un-fog a fog lamp?

  29. #28
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-Vspec View Post
    I have posted pics on here, went out last night and whipped one off to take pics for Chez as his are misting up inside, hope it helps, it seriously only takes a few moments to do, dont be scared of this one.<br>
    <br>
    <a href="http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/189336-anybody-know-how-un-fog-fog-lamp.html" target="_blank">http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/189336-anybody-know-how-un-fog-fog-lamp.html</a>
    <br>
    <br>
    That's an S Line bumper you have. I have the SE "council " fog lights....my fogs look quite different to that..
    Last edited by Molnboman; 28th May 2013 at 08:53.

  30. #29
    Avnt's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    228
    Changed all 4 bulbs in my headlights in under 15 mins easier than the wifes volvo t4

  31. #30
    ESD1711's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    498

    My Social Networking

    Follow ESD1711 On Twitter Visit ESD1711's Instagram Channel
    I found the headlights really easy in honesty. In comparison to my last car it was a walk in the park. When you've done it once and understand how the bulbs mount and unfasten etc, it really isnt difficult at all.

    Sidelights though................................... horrible!

  32. #31
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Well if a GM Zafira is a scale 10 in difficulty for changing headlamp bulbs...then an Audi A4 is a 3! Manned up and had a go. Very easy....but scared sh#tless to remove those side lights....

    Thanks for the advice an help.

    Cheers
    A

  33. #32
    Furkz's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    298
    with the sidelights, when you pop them back in dont go all the way so it clicks in, just 90% of the way. than it will be easier to change them in the future
    Phantom Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant

  34. #33
    WOLF's Avatar
    I am WOLF.......

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Well if a GM Zafira is a scale 10 in difficulty for changing headlamp bulbs...then an Audi A4 is a 3! Manned up and had a go. Very easy....but scared sh#tless to remove those side lights....

    Thanks for the advice an help.

    Cheers
    A

    good man.....easy eh lol

  35. #34
    Chris-Vspec's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Verwood, Dorset
    Posts
    248
    glad you managed to get them sorted. have you had a bash at the fogs yet?

  36. #35
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-Vspec View Post
    glad you managed to get them sorted. have you had a bash at the fogs yet?
    No Chris.....got a bit freaked....they are quite different to the S Line fog / bumper surround.....and I wanted to do a bit more research on here before attempting it....it looks quite different so not sure how the SE Fog lights come out. Done a few hundred km's today and I am really liking the nice ice white on the headlights and they are making the sidelights look sh@t now.....but as I said I was crapping it to pull the sidelights out.....it just didn't feel right, if you know what I mean.....might have a go at both tomorrow weather permitting. Interesting to see how the headlight lamps perform as you may know, they are on all the time up here, so it puts quite a bit of stress on a bulb.

    So far so goody,
    BR
    A
    Last edited by Molnboman; 29th May 2013 at 06:26.

  37. #36
    A4_MaJiK's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    821

    My Social Networking

    Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    I changed my headlight bulbs (D1S) a couple months back and what a nightmare LOL!

    Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

  38. #37
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi_Doodey View Post
    i managed to change the driver-side headlight bulb after 2 hours and 2 separate occasions(it wasn't fitted properly the first time which only becomes evident at night). There are three torx screws, one on the very top (remove completely), one on the left-side (loosen slightly) and one hidden down under the headlamp unit on the right side(as you're facing the front of the car). You need a very long torx screwdriver to loosen this last one. Then you can move the entire headlamp unit forward about an inch and that should give you the room you need to change the bulb without removing the entire front bumper. However, this is the easy part! Actually changing the bulb is much more tricky. There are three metal prongs which secure the bulb in place, removing and fitting should simply be a case of pulling/pushing into place. But if anyone has an easy way to do this bearing in mind the space limitation and technique required than that information would be very useful.
    My point here is this...it is law in most European Countries to carry a spare bulb kit. WHY WHY WHY do you need to carry a spare bulb kit in the car f you cannot change the bulb without removing parts of the car and require special tools to do so (ie. Torx screwdriver which is NOT supplied with the car). Also, should you stop on the motorway and start removing the front bumper because the bulb has blown? Er, I don't think so. Audi have some explaining to do IMO.
    I think you may have made a bit hard for yourself there. I wouldn't be touching the headlamp itself as it may throw out your beam if not adjusted properly.
    For the offside I just remove the air intake...two screws and a heave ho.....the near side was easy enough. As mentioned this was a cake walk compared to my previous car which would literally take hours. That's a good point you make about EU law and being able to change a bulb yourself without tools.

    Cheers
    A

  39. #38
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Managed to f&ck up my offside sidelight connection.....so managed to get the bulb and holder out but there must be a break in one of the cables....it was working earlier, but when I stuck it back in... it failed again....not chuffed! Not sure what the next move is....splice in a new bulb holder like this one.

    3bulbholder.jpg

    Real pisser, cause I got everything done 100% except the offside sidelamp bulb...typical! Anyone suffered this before....how did you fix it?

    Cheers
    A
    Last edited by Molnboman; 4th June 2013 at 15:24.

  40. #39
    Chris-Vspec's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Verwood, Dorset
    Posts
    248
    Oh no thats really unlucky mate, hope you manage to sort it soon, looking at the lead i would imagine you will have to splice into the existing wiring.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO