Which Sat Nav System to Buy

Mike_R

Reaction score
Hi all,
Before i start a bit of background – bought a 2006 Audi 2.0 T FSI S-Line a few days ago and love it. I am pretty useless when it comes to fitting in parts / modding etc but I really want to do a few updates to it.

I have been reading on this forum for the last few days and i cannot find any direct feeds but forgive me if I’ve missed anything.

I would like to purchase a sat nav / mp3 system for my car, as the inside of the car is pretty basic and the mrs would like inbuilt sat-nav like her previous car. I’ve seen a few RNS-E on the net but not sure about them, so thought I would ask the experts.

What do you guys think of the attached links.

AES CAR DVD PLAYER GPS NAVI AUDI A4 STEREO SAT NAV TV on eBay (end time 09-Mar-11 16:28:54 GMT)

For Audi A4 DVD GPS Navigation Player With 7" Digital Touchscreen / PIP RDS Bluetooth + With Steering Wheel Control + Support iPod/iPhone Control: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Audi RNS-E. GPS Sat Nav. Audi Navigation Plus on eBay (end time 28-Feb-11 20:04:10 GMT)

There are a few others but am not sure how old these systems are.

Can you recommend any double din systems if you do not approve of the links. I would prefer 1 if it could play TV too but I know this could be asking too much of a price budget of around £300-£400, pushing it to £500.

I live in derby, so if you know of any shops nearby that would supply and fit that would be great.

The current system is Audi sympathy

Cheeky i know but can anyone tell me how to get the phone kit working. I have attached picture of my centre unit. I have a phone holder but i cannot find any articles on how to get my phone working in it.

Thanks in advance.

DSC00163.jpg

file:///C:/Users/mike/Downloads/DSC00163.jpg

If i may put my two cents in...

I have the second Sat Nav in your first post (the one from Amazon)

ImageShack Album - 11 images

I love it. It looks great, the TV signal (freeview) is great in some areas but rubbish in other areas. You cannot drive and have the TV on at the same time but once your parked up you can watch E4/BBC etc...I dont have all the channels though, but have enough to keep my occupied when im bored and parked up.

The interface is chinese and not THEE best. Some parts of the software looks a little cheap like the radio backround and the ipod interface isn't great. The software only allows you to play playlist/albums/artists etc or ALL SONGs. So if you go through all songs you cant search by a b c but it starts at A and if you want to listen to Trey Songs you will either have to keep scrolling down like a idiot or put the songs on random, wait till a song starting with r/s/t comes on and then turn off random and then start forwarding to trey songs. . .

i hope i haven't confused you, but the first link is exactly the same as the second only the software is different. The Sat nav however is great, my map is slightly out of date but has never let me down. Cant complain. I love it!!

Does it show on the dis? And work with mfsw?

Had you tried an RNS-E?

Chris

It doesen't show up on the DIS, because i don't have the MFSW so can't help there.

No i haven't tried RNS-E either.

If you're ever in the EAST of London (Close to the olympic site) then feel free to come down and view mine before buying.

Get RNSE in my opinion, it's genuine Audi, will look the part and work with Dis and MFSW, I think you make them play tv which I'll be looking into myself next.

I don't know much of other units, I know there are some really good ones but there £800 upwards. RNSE will also make your car worth a little more when you sell so you will claw some dollar back :)

Great. Thanks for the help.

Yes 800 is out of the question.

Well the rnse seems like the best option. Only question is where can I get a rnse from and what price can I expect. I understand that they will increase the value of the car.

Can anyone confirm if they will play tv

for some reason my pic didnt load. It asks for url for pic but I have the pic saved on my computer. Any ideas. Am I pressin the wrong button. The pic was regarding the phone holder

Great. Thanks for the help.

Yes 800 is out of the question.

Well the rnse seems like the best option. Only question is where can I get a rnse from and what price can I expect. I understand that they will increase the value of the car.

Can anyone confirm if they will play tv

for some reason my pic didnt load. It asks for url for pic but I have the pic saved on my computer. Any ideas. Am I pressin the wrong button. The pic was regarding the phone holder

You need to host your pictures on a site like Photobucket. Create an account, upload your pics, then copy the link for your pic to your post on here.

Get the RNSE that you linked from ebay in your first post. thats a good price. collect it if you can so you get to see its condition, ask the seller why its for sale and if your unsure post his answer on here.

Dont wanna buy a busted one. you are covered by paypal though.

Looks a little tatty from the photos and no code - that will cost you £50 plus shipping.

You should be able to get one for £400 all in from ebay, its just a case of waiting!

Chris

There is a cd knocking about which you boot up in it and it unlocks it. Worth a thought. I saw a thread about it recently

thanks for all the help again guys. i wrote my recent post from my tiny smart phone hence the double post.

I think i will opt for RNS-E. Triple OG is right, they will look the part and come at a decent price

Ive seen a few on Ebay and they look in better condition then the previous version i posted. I have attached the links below, so your feedback would appreciated. The 2nd link seems the best bet. Looks in good condition / comes with warranty and has sold a few of the systems to other buyers with all good feedback. I understand its my final decision but input would be great.

RNS-E Audi A4 S4 RS4 Navigation DVD NAVI SAT NAV GPS on eBay (end time 26-Feb-11 11:57:54 GMT)

RNS-E Audi A4 S4 RS4 Navigation DVD NAVI SAT NAV GPS on eBay (end time 26-Feb-11 20:33:16 GMT)

Yorkster - thanks for clarification on posting pics. will create new post for the phone holder