Can i replace ZR18 tyres with r18 tyres?

DJM1982

Reaction score
As above.
I have been searching the internet for information but alot of it is very confusing.

I currently have mitchelin pilots sport 2's on my audi A4 (234/40 ZR18 (95Y)) but looking at replacing them with Uniroyal Rainsport 2's (235/40 R18 (95Y)), because i need 4 new tyres and cannot afford the michenlins this time round.

Can i do this?
Has anyone else done this?

From what i can gather from lots of reading, ZR means that the tyre has been approved of doing over 149mph but doesn't specify by how much, thats where the speed rating comes in. So if i am replacing Y rated tyre with another Y rated tyre, regardless of whether it has ZR on it should be ok? But still uncertain.

I have tried looking in my user manual and the service book as to where i can find the recommended manufacturers tyre specs but i can't find it anywhere?

Yup.No probs.Absolutely safe.both up to speeds of 186mph
check these guys out, ive used them several times before and are excellent
Tyretraders search results

Wish i had 18 s instead of 19 s, much more choice and cheaper!

Yup.No probs.Absolutely safe.both up to speeds of 186mph
check these guys out, ive used them several times before and are excellent
Tyretraders search results

Cheers mate, i was actually beginning to get very worried and thrustrated as been looking on the net for answers all night. plus very few websites actually advertise 235/40 ZR18 tyres

The ZR has nothing to do with the speed rating then, it's the "Y" after the size that denotes speed rating. As it shows on the diagram I posted, the R denotes "radial".

From what i have been reading, the ZR was using originally for Tyres capable of of over 149mph, but it never specified how much over and has cars became capable of sustained high speeds tyre manufacturer's started using W and Y rated to specify the actually speed rating of the tyre, so your right. It shouldn't actually means anything anymore.