A4 Avant mpg survey

zebedoo

Reaction score
Hi

Please help me figure out if the mpg that I am getting from my 'new' Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI S-Line is too low. It would be great if you could tell me how many miles you get from a full tank, say urban versus motorway driving. Also, if you know it, what is your average mpg for both these different scenarios.

I have a 55 reg - I filled up the tank (cost me about £90) and got only about 640 miles from it, 80% of this being either motorway or wide open Scottish roads. This equates to somewhere near 42mpg. I was expecting much higher for this type of driving in this car.

What do you get?

Thanks lots in advance,

Z

on a combined cycle i get about 46 - 48 mpg
on a motorway at 70 i get 55mpg
thats what the DIS says
i have had mine remapped as well though, so if driven gently i do get more mpg

I'd kill for 42 mpg!!!! Sounds about right from previous mpg questions though.

LMFAO!!!!! Id kill for that!I got 35 from my B7 (same spec) as an average, and 32 from my B8 same spec.420 mile from a tank

42mpg combined is bang on the money mate. Never believe what the books say. They can never compere to real time driving. 90quid of diesel of todays prices is around 650 miles and + that if your always on the motorway.

Remapped 2.0T Fsi avant and I get 25 - 26mpg so stop moaning ! LOL

Hmmm... not convinced. Never mind what the book says, I would expect high 40s from this car if driven reasonably sensibly on the motorway. That's based on a fair bit of research prior to buying.

It will totally be dependant upon engin temp and if the driving consists of stop start, but to be honest my wife covers about 15 miles per day to and from work as she only works about 8 miles from work and she dose alot of stop start driving. She drives a 1.9tdi 2008 A4 Avant S-Line re-mapped and on average around the doors she is only getting about 32-35mpg which I think is very avarage and as rightly stated never take notice of what you are supposed to get from the book as this is rarely ever reached. On the motorway its much better but I would not get hung up on what you get or you will end up driving like a OAP, just enjoy driving and dont worry.

I only just got high 40's from my 130 golf and that was a lot lighter car. Remember the audi is heavy with wide tyres etc. Look at previous threads on this subject and you'll see that you should be happy with 42!!!! Real world driving is not the same as a book.

My 2008 A4 Cab 2.0TDI (140BHP) S-Line since April 2010 is averaging 40.59 this ranges from 32.49 during the January cold spell to 48.83 last June. My daily drive is about 3 miles each way to work and mainly town driving. As expected the higher MPG runs have been on longer journeys.

(worst app I ever bought for the iPhone is 'Road Trip', its scary how much cars cost to run)

Haha i have the road trip app too...i love it!!

Averaging 36.5 mpg over 6300 miles.

Motorway @ 60 = 47 mpg (highest record)

around London 30-35.

I'd kill for anywhere near 42mpg - my 2004 S4 takes about 22mpg...;-()(

lowest record = 12 mpg (around a track)

You drive an S4 man, thats better than any ****** economical crappy diesel with a 4.5k redline and a short breath of 3k rpm before you have to change gear.

I'd kill for your car.

My 56 reg TDi 170 Avant returns an average of 40 mpg. Audi brochures will have you believe that it should be far higher - in fact in the 60s at 56mph. The best that I've had on a run is 46mpg on A roads. Motorways are 40mpg if I'm lucky. Audi checked the car under warranty but I was told by Audi 'off the record' that the expected mpg is grossly optimistic. The 140bhp version is far more economic and I know of people returning 50+mpg. A bit disappointing to say the least.

I own a A4 TDI S Line 140 56 reg. Just bought it 2 weeks ago with 98k miles on it. My driving is normally for short journeys but i get a good return @ 49mpg.

I have a 2.0 tdi 140 A4 Avant with remap & Milltek exhaust. I have the mpg all worked out on an excel spreadsheet.On the last 3 tanks I got 43.87mpg, 46.73 mpg & 48.67mpg the last one was on a trip from Colchester to leeds mainly hence being higher. All figures are from roughly 60 litres of fuel.
The DIS says I can do 900miles most of the time but never achieved it!!!

Hope this helps

54 REG 2.0 TDI 140BHP, SINCE I GOT THE CAR 5 YEARS AGO DID A BRIM TO BRIM CHECK WORKING OUT AT APROX 42MPG LESS IN WINTER 39MPG,ADAPATED A VERY DIFFERENT TYPE OF DRIVING CLIMBING THE GEARS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE TRYING TO STAY BELOW 50MPH SIXTH GEAR AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE 1400RPM 40MPH WORKING OUT AT 53MPG

2005 3.0 tdi, around town and cold I get 29-30mpg, on a run 39-40mpg that's at a steady 80-85mph, which I don't think is too bad.

3l TDI Q, just done leicester to devon & back plus loads of coastal rally stage type in between, averaged 40mpg & thats with a massive roof box nailed to the top.
normal day to day 30-34mpg on short runs.

am considering re-map, as someone said above - stop worrying about it & start enjoying the drive!