1.8T Quattro coolant warning, mayo under coolant filler cap

mark1robinson

Reaction score
I turned on my 2006 1.8T this evening and the coolant warning light came on. There is between 1/2 and 1 inch of coolant in the reservoir. I noticed a small amount of white mayo like stuff under the coolant filler cap, the coolant looks clear, I can't see any oil in it. The oil level is fine, no white stuff on dip stick or under oil filler cap.

The car has done 28K miles. The water pump started squeaking at 26K and was changed.

Do I have a problem or should I just fill it up and keep an eye on it?

Thanks,
Mark.

If pump was changed, could be that the coolant was slightly contaminated. Clean the gunk out, top up remembering to release the pressure when the engine is hot, but then monitor it.

is the car used for only short trips? last time you went on a long run?

The car is mainly used for short trips. On Monday I took it on a 120mile trip.

Regarding the coolant colour, it is a sort of a light green.

I topped up the car but the level is dropping slowly again. The coolant is seeping out from what looks like a nut, or bleed screw on a pipe running across the top of the engine into the radiator. I'll try to tighten it. Do these screws have seals that need replacing?

Thanks,
MR.

The coolant really shouldnt be green, it should be red/orange/pink in color.

Mixing green coolant and red coolant can sometimes cause sludgey mank to form inside the engine, which might explain the mayo on the filler cap.

The only other explanation for mayo in there is oil is somehow getting into the coolant, which potentially means something major is wrong with the engine.

Who did the water pump change?

I bought the car 2nd hand, the dealer was not Audi. I took it back a week later because of a noise coming from the water pump. The dealer sent it to an Audi indy to get it repaired. Looking closer at it this evening I see the head of the bleed screw has been snapped off (possibly over tightened when the water pump was done??) which is were the small amounts of coolant are seeping out.
The coolant is definitely not red/orange/pink so I guess this Audi indy used the wrong coolant?

I guess I need to get the system drained, get the bleed screw replaced and get it filled with the correct coolant.