Fuel Injector design flaw

nicol1980

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My car broke down on me the other day and had to be recoverd to a garage. I took it to an independant specialst who diagnosed the problem as a failed fuel injector. I was told that it was a design flaw in that the two electrical terminals were too close together which eventaully causes a short and basically fries the injector and shorts the engine.

For background I have the S-Line (170) Quattro on an '07 plate.

My concern is that there are 3 other injectors which would all have the same 'design flaw' and also that the replacement injector will also be the same design. At £500 each plus around £150 labour this is not a cheap repair. This one will be done under warranty but it will be the last warranty job I get before it runs out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This has worried me now, I've taken a look through the threads.

Does anyone know
1 - The replacement injectors are these redesigned without the flaw?
2 - if so was there a time they started to fit them to new cars

The later (late 07 onwards ) and replacement injectors are now made by denso and not the problematic piezo ones . I have not heard of any issues with the denso ones .

Thanks for the info. Do you know how I can tell what I have? mine is a 57 plate (registered sep 2007)

I think the only way is to have them removed i may be wrong , someone else asked on the same on another audi forum i'll let you know if anyone posts if there is a way of visual check.

Just an update guys from a discussion I had with Audi

Audi have accepted this as a known fault. As it currently stands they will replace the faulty injector under good will. I don't know if this had cetain criterias attached to it like full Audi service history, age, mileage etc... as that was not mentioned. They will ONLY repair the faulty injector at the time and not all 4 (obviously a cost saving excercise) and they DO replace the faulty injector with a modified type.

Hope this helps other owners with similar problems.

As a rule when one goes its not uncommon for the others to follow sorry to say.

As a rule when one goes its not uncommon for the others to follow sorry to say.

but if Audi are doing them under good will then its only the inconvinience of taking it back rather than a huge bill

Good news

They "did" it under good will. There is nothing making them to replace any further ones under the same good will.

When you say "audi have accepted this as a known fault" what do you mean? someone in an Audi garage or Audi UK?

You seem to be on the good side of them so I would query it and get some kind of guarantee that if it goes again due to this "known fault" that you will get the same service.

Keen to know too. Has Audi UK accepted it is a known fault or just the garage? If it's Audi UK, then there should be a recall on all these cars for all injectors to be placed. The fault is very very dangerous, I was "lucky" to have the vehicle cut out in a 30 zone, imagine doing 70 on the motorway and it cutting out. The car doesn't coast because it's still in gear and it slows down so fast to a full stall it's bound to cause a crash... brakes, steering everything just goes dead!

Replacing just one makes no sense since we KNOW it'll happen again. We still have to pay for the car to get towed to the garage, take time off work to get it back etc... what if it's the wife and kids that get caught out on a bad winter day? Audi would never cover any of that, even though it's technically foreseen circumstances...

If it's Audi UK that said this, then I will call them myself and get something in writing, so WHEN it happens, I'll have something back me up. If it's not Audi UK, then I will be happy to help get them to do something about it. I wouldn't know where to start, but one post per forum calling all B7 owners for details on their faults should give them something to think about... if they won't look after older Audi owners, what's to say they will look after newer ones who will find different faults 5 years from now?

Rant over, thanks for reading :)

Mine is on a late 57 plate, does that include mine then? I got mine from an Audi Dealer at the begining of this year I do have a full 1 years Audi warranty with it so I hope in the event that it's covered.

all i can say is keep your warrenty running (pay for one if nessasary).