B6 or B7 S4?

sharpr

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my S3 for an S4.

My local dealer has a year old B6 S4 for sale, which I really like. Only problem is that I think the car is over priced and combine this with the fact that the B7 model is now out, I feel that I would be lining myself up for loosing a lot of money if I was to buy this car.

Other option is to order a B7 version, however I can't make my up mind as to whether I like the facelifted car yet and is the S4 price likely to nose dive when the RS4 comes on to the market?

Decisions, decisions!

Mate what ever your decision your talking serious money! Wish i was in your shoes! Good luck with your decision making....god it must be so tuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

RAS, can't you wait a moment to let B6 prices to go down a bit and then buy one?

- Yak

Of all the new B7 cars the S4 is the one to change the least. i.e. the range has acquired a lot of the S4 bits and hence it seems the least to benefit.

I'm thinking of keeping mine for up to a year into B7 S4 time. My thoughts are that someone looking for a second hand S4 will be in my market and not be affected by the new ones. After this B7's will start slipping in the 2nd hand market and hence prices will be a affected.

At the end of the day an S4 costs to own and run. I think you'll be looking at a fair difference between a year old B6 and a new B7.

p.s. Make me an offer!

Scotty are you a salesman...that was a damn good pitch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

hehehe and just to tempt even more....

I'm definately not selling!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The prices dealers are asking for 2nd hand B6 S4's are amazingly high and well above those suggested in price guides.

I might have a second one if the prices were more reasonable.

Incidently, the B7 S4 brochure says that the fuel tank is 63 litres. I seem to remember that the B6 is 66 litres - has it fallen?

I certainly am gonna test drive both when they're available.

Ras,

Just done what you want to, gone from a '02 '52' S3 to an B6 S4, one of the last ones off the production line. Trust me, it'll keep you happy for a long while, had mine 4 weeks now and can't get the smile off my face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

For the price B7 S4 is expensive and believe me, go to the right Audi dealer and you'll get a bargain on a B6 variant, managed to get £3K worth of extra's for nothing and 5% off list (but not locally). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Plus when I was checking it out and ordering my B6, the B7 is not technically due to Feb / Mar '04 with five month waiting list already. It's a decent look but it's backside looks like a hybrid Citroen C5 with M3 pipes. V poor!

With the money you could save do what ScoTTy has and what I intend on doing when AMD can honour me with a time slot, AMD stage 3 full stainlees steel exhaust system plus remap to 400BHP.

RS4 is the only threat although I hear a it is a high revving (8500+ rpm) 4.2 FSI with 420bhp and £40K plus price tag.

Me personally, I'm looking forward to 5.2 V10 RS6 in early 2006.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm, may have to sell the house for one of those!

Will try and put pics up of my new wheels tomorrow if the weather stays good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I can't see there being any chance of the new RS4 being anywhere near £40k. I may be wrong but I'd expect it to be nearer £50k than £40k.

p.s. I could get 5% off list even before the rumours of a B7 were circulating. I'd really be pushing them hard of numbers at the moment.

Enjoy your new S4.

A few thoughts:

-I got 3% off my S4 and it was one of the first cars registered back in summer 03. The 'What Car' target price suggests huge discounts are possible now;
-I also think that the RS4 will be about £50k;
-Will there be a new RS6 or not? Looking at the stats for the A6 4.2, I expect Audi to pass on either the S6 or RS6.

Just get the miles on it - performance improves a lot at 5-10k miles. Mind you, carry a couple of litres of oil with you!

[ QUOTE ]
bbg52 said:
Ras,

Just done what you want to, gone from a '02 '52' S3 to an B6 S4, one of the last ones off the production line. Trust me, it'll keep you happy for a long while, had mine 4 weeks now and can't get the smile off my face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

For the price B7 S4 is expensive and believe me, go to the right Audi dealer and you'll get a bargain on a B6 variant, managed to get £3K worth of extra's for nothing and 5% off list (but not locally). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Plus when I was checking it out and ordering my B6, the B7 is not technically due to Feb / Mar '04 with five month waiting list already. It's a decent look but it's backside looks like a hybrid Citroen C5 with M3 pipes. V poor!

With the money you could save do what ScoTTy has and what I intend on doing when AMD can honour me with a time slot, AMD stage 3 full stainlees steel exhaust system plus remap to 400BHP.

RS4 is the only threat although I hear a it is a high revving (8500+ rpm) 4.2 FSI with 420bhp and £40K plus price tag.

Me personally, I'm looking forward to 5.2 V10 RS6 in early 2006.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm, may have to sell the house for one of those!

Will try and put pics up of my new wheels tomorrow if the weather stays good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never really thought about doing this.

Did you get to specify your car or did you pick a car from those that were available in the UK?

How long did you have to wait for delivery?

I was able to specify my car at the time but B6 S4 production has now finished; I was lucky to get mine in the end as six weeks into the order I was told they did not have another B6 chassis to build mine with and at one point offered me one of the others off the production line or said I could wait until the B7. Fortunately they managed to find a chassis and built my order anyway in 10 weeks.

Having a look at Audi used car network there are quite a few low mileages around and possibly even some pre registered which I would imagine they will want to shift from forecourts, particularly 54 plates before the B7 S4 arrives. You would probably find it easier to get a bargain that way. Also, use the whole dealer metwork, my dealer would deliver my car on a low loader to my door if I wanted and they are 300 miles away.