724miles from a single tank, that's pretty good going don't you think?

DJM1982

Reaction score
As the roads have been pretty quiet this past week as a combination of high fuel prices and a general slow month due to it being after Christmas, i decided to see just how many miles i could get from a single tank of diesel.

My car:
2006 Audi A4 Sline, 2.0TDi (140bhp orginally but has been remapped to 180bhp by AMD), FWD, just had a full service.

My Daily Journey:
Leave Cheshunt highstreet, onto the a10, then onto the M25.
M25, then joining the M1 northbound to Milton Keynes (through 13miles on roadworks @ 50mph)
Short stint through Milton Keynes to the office (over around 6 roundabouts)
And the reverse on the way home.
Rough milage per day is 98miles

How:
With very patient driving.
Not exceeding 80mph on the motorway, not tailgaiting other motorists and therefore avoiding heavy braking and acceleration, approaching the roadabouts slower as to merge with traffic without stopping where possible. Changing up early and not over revving engine (prob changing up around 2k-2.5krpm).

And pulled up at the pump with 15miles left on the tank indicator and reading 724.8 miles covered.
(will post pics when i upload them to my pc)

This obviously is alot less fun and exciting than driving like i usually do (not that i'm a complete nutter) and it did feel good today after i filled up to have alittle fun and plant my foot a few times. Nearly forgot just how fun all that torque is, haha......

To determine what your mpg really is you really need to know how many litres of fuel you have used from when you started your recorded run to when you finished it. The use of car instruments for this purpose is notorious for giving over optimistic readings. For example the DIS on my own vehicle over estimates by 10-12% when compared with an actual record of fuel in, fuel out and distance covered.

Not bad, wish mine did that, cost £97 to fill was back at pump 280 miles later :-( but the v8 is fun fun fun :)

yes very true, the mpg reading is not working on my A4 and hasn't for a while. That's why i solely based on and posted miles covered from a single tank. It was brimmed and run all the way down until there was only enough left in the tank to reach a petrol station (and i hate leaving it to get that low usually).
I'm positive that the milometre in my car is working correctly.
I have no way of physically checking exactly how many litres i have used, just thought i would post my results as thought the miles covered on a single tank was very good.

That is impressive!

I always change at around 2,000 rpm.

What rpm does everyone else change up at?

I would have thought by 2.5K rpm the turbo is spooling a lot more air into the engine and thus more fuel consumption?

Now try and get 725 miles this week! Make it into a game. Your bank balance will love you for it.

I only changed at 2.5k when in 1st gear away from a junction, the rest of the time it was at 2k.
It took far to much patience and concentration to reach 724.8miles, and i have already reverted back to my normal driving style now, where i get around 650miles to a tank instead. It was just a little test to see what could be done really, although not very scientific i found the results very interesting.

On my small trip through europe, 5 up with tons of luggage i was getting closer to 700 and something odd miles out of my tank, which i thought was pretty impressive too. Though i was hiding behind a lorry most of the way at 60mph...

Can i ask, is it just me or does anyone else feel that changing gear UNDER 2,000 rpm feels like its really labouring the car and too low a rev in the next gear?

Say 1,800 rpm changing from first to second or second to third?

Yeah motorway miles all the way for me on my daily commute. I reckon i could get close to 800miles from the tank if i stuck to 70mph and not 80mph. But i'm not that patient behind the wheel, haha.
Mine felt laboured changing at those revs until i got the remap, but now it feels ok. I tend to change just after 2k so it isn't so bad.

well i dont get owt like your lads are getting in my 2lt tdi and do 80miles per day on m-way never go over 80 as well

The 140 2.0Tdi in the b7 is great for economy vs power. I regularly got just over 800 miles out of a tank in my old tdi B7 saloon.

that makes me sick its twice as much as mine when I drive carefully.

me too or are there a few fibs being told here

Why would there be fibs being told? Purely posting up my results. As posted before, mine has been remapped to 180bhp and FWD (not quattro) which also helps. But i can consistantly get 700 miles from a single tank. If not more......

I'm thinking that the 170 s line I have just bought is not the right car for me if I want regular 45-50 mpg... Should have stuck with my t reg rover diesel!!!!

I have a 2.5 AFB B5 Avant, I get around 400 out of a tank, averages around 30-35/gallon with plenty of town work, picking up kids etc, on a run, Perth-Glasgow-Edinburgh-Perth and some town work, I am 200 miles on 1/3 tank just now (62 litre tank)

thats pretty damn good, i get 37mpg in my 1.2 clio, hoping the 1.9tdi will be much better

well ive had a remap now and just got 315 miles to £50 is this good ? the pice of the diesel was 138.9 so what mpg am i getting ?

Last edited:
The CR engine will certainly get the high mpg's that are being quoted here, but the PD engines will be hard pushed to achieve any where near this

PD =Pump Duze, CR Common Rail CR I think were introduced around 2008 and the Engine code is different - just google it. ..................

Some sweet MPG readings here, how big are the tanks on the B7 tdis?

Makes me want to upgrade to one from my B6, but i would cry at what it's not worth now!!!

You all need to get fuelly (see my sig, clickable but remember to change to UK units in top left of website)

well my last 2 tank full has got me well over 400 miles with no real change in conditions etc,was previously 330-340,cant understand the big jump.

Usually I get about 650-700 miles from a full tank, obviously all depends on your driving style but as someone else mentioned before I generally change around 2,000 rpm as well. However I do get that sense of the engine being laboured at lower revs sometimes. Going to be looking at remaps in the future so that may help.