I might be joining you soon! Potential buyer *PLEASE READ*

Seedler

Reaction score
Hi People.

A LONG time since I last came on here. Nearly 2 years ago when I was considering an A3 – Needless to say I test drove a 2.0t S-Line and it ticked a few boxes but I also test drove a lot of other cars. I ended up getting an RX8 and for the past 2 years it’s been the most pleasurable driving experience of my life! Shes my baby and I absolutely adore the car and everything about it -anyone that’s driven one or owned one will agree theirs no sound/feel quite like a rotary if you know how to drive it! Im going to be gutted to let her go :crying:

Anyway enough babbling, the government has finally won! The price of fuel just going up and up is making me seriously consider a change. It’s a car that gets less than 300 miles to a tank and costs nearly 70 to fill up – needless to say for the past 2 years I haven’t cared at all, I call it smiles-per-gallon lol. Now though it’s obvious I need a more “sensible” car and im contemplating an A4 TDI, I just have a few questions regarding them:

1. How many tuners are dedicated to Audis/A4s and how easily is tuning done with this engine?
2. Is it possible to make a diesel sound sporty and put an exhaust on? (I have a real bad perception of diesels that they sound like tractors – im not alone in this thought I know) I have a GReddy on my RX8 and it sounds absolutely fantastic, I shall miss this more than anything.
3. How many miles would I get from a full tank of diesel? (Varying driving styles please)
4. Are their any common problems with these cars?
5. Should I stay away from one with over 100k on? Is it dead money?

Thanks all
Daniel

3. How many miles would I get from a full tank of diesel? (Varying driving styles please)[/B]

In answer to some of your questions:

3) I get around 550 typically which is to work and back, no motorways, intown traffic etc. On longer runs I can get 600-700. I don't drive like I own a Korean car either ;)
4) The most important one to be aware of is for 2005-2006 2.0 TDI engines which have an engine code of BLB. Don't touch it. The 170 variants also have injector issues I believe.
5) Over 100k shouldn't be a problem as a lot of posters are over this without an issue. I wouldn't stretch to 150k though.

1. How many tuners are dedicated to Audis/A4s and how easily is tuning done with this engine?
2. Is it possible to make a diesel sound sporty and put an exhaust on? (I have a real bad perception of diesels that they sound like tractors – im not alone in this thought I know) I have a GReddy on my RX8 and it sounds absolutely fantastic, I shall miss this more than anything.
3. How many miles would I get from a full tank of diesel? (Varying driving styles please)

Thanks all
Daniel

1) Tuning on the TDI, i suppose all depends on how much money you want to throw at the engine. With a hybrid or larger turbo someone with the same engine in a FABIA (i think) has managed 300+ bhp with propane injection etc. Sorry can't help much!

2) I have an exhaust on my 140, its a decat twin exit pipe with 2 back boxes and it sounds slightly bubbly at idle (VERY slightly ill add). Normal between 1-2k rpm with a tiny burble and then from 2,000 rpm till the redline it sounds really deep and throaty and nice! Ive had tons of compliments on how nice it sounds on a diesel. Its not anything like a petrol exhaust, but a very deep rumble! My exhaust cost around £460. Hopefully i'll get a video of it up sometime in the near future!

3) In regards to miles per gallon, i dont understand HOW people get so much from their dervs! I average 450 miles to a full tank of £90 BP Ultimate, (yes my engine is fine, so are the tire pressures and there is no boost leaks etc). Over 3,339 miles my average according to TANK measurements NOT THE TRIP computer is 34.82 MPG, best being 47MPG on a 60 mph speed limit trip from London to Birmingham 5 up. My trip lies massively, saying im doing 60+ MPG when in reality its truly 35-40 mpg.

4) The 170 BHP injector problems if i recall correctly are on the 05/06 - plate, from 07 they were sorted! The BLB engine was from 2005-2006 however if they have had the oil pump replaced for the gear driven pump then its no problem!

5) Well mines a 140 TDI with the dodgy BLB engine (repaired to gear driven oil pump now) and its on 151,000 miles. I service every 10,000 miles and feed it good quality diesel. I carry out preventative maintenance such as cleaning out the intercooler and egr valve etc and touch wood its been FINE!
I'm travelling over 1,000 miles to europe over the weekend in it with no worries.

If i wasn't too worried about the MPG, and you still want ''smiles for miles'' then i would go for the 3.0 TDI and remap it. Very rapid cars!

Mines remapped and is quite pokey, but i wouldnt call it fast. I have a GSXR for ''fast'' riding.

3) In regards to miles per gallon, i dont understand HOW people get so much from their dervs! I average 450 miles to a full tank of £90 BP Ultimate, (yes my engine is fine, so are the tire pressures and there is no boost leaks etc). Over 3,339 miles my average according to TANK measurements NOT THE TRIP computer is 34.82 MPG, best being 47MPG on a 60 mph speed limit trip from London to Birmingham 5 up. My trip lies massively, saying im doing 60+ MPG when in reality its truly 35-40 mpg.

My trip seems to be correct. I do wonder if your remap decreases it significantly and whether you are on 19s or 20's and need the trip recalibrated? On this tank I expect to get around 600 miles to it.

No wrath, im only on 18's.

I didn't know the trip could be recalibrated?

Perhaps a trip (excuse the pun) to the stealers is in order then?

No wrath, im only on 18's.

I didn't know the trip could be recalibrated?

Perhaps a trip (excuse the pun) to the stealers is in order then?

I seem to recall from another forum that if you adjust the size tyres from what was on at factory, that the DIS maybe slightly inaccurate. Maybe someone else can confirm or tell me it's a load of tosh.

I think your remap is more likely to affect it though. What bhp is yours again?

Overall diameter of the wheel including tyres should not change, as you go up in wheel size you go down in the thickness of tyre, e.g im running 17inch with 45 tyres, if i go up to 18 i would have 40, 19's 35 and so on.

Thanks will89 for your input. Yep mines are 235,18 40.

Wrath in regards to the remap, my engine was putting out more than the original specified bhp before the map. It was running 155 bhp and went up by 40 (amd states 40 bhp gain on website) to 195 bhp.