TDI models of 100k+ what needs to be considered for maintainance

hi mate ive owned a couple of vag tdis in the past few years, and the most important thing is to make sure the cambelt change is up to date. the water pump is pretty much universally done at the same time outta ease more then anything.

as for turbo/clutch i guess thats purely on a car to car basis: ive had a couple of 100k+ motors which have been bang on, pretty much because they've lived most their lives on the motorway.

one thing i would probably will be doing in the future is taking a laptop with vagcom installed on it to check for any faults etc: with fault codes for crash sensors etc, its damn good to take with you. an older car with no fault codes on it would ring alarm bells for me, as it COULD indicate somebody has cleared the codes to hide something. then again, im a paranoid sort :)

good luck!

danny

thanks

i had a demo vagcom working before when i had the audi tt 225 with a copy cable, but i would imagine i might need the full thing for crash sensor checks etc.

but good shout.

oil balancer shaft, what's that?

There's a sticky thread about the oil balancer shaft. Basically any 2.0 TDI engines with a code BLB (2005-2006) have an oil pump run by a chain with a plastic tensioner. This plastic is known to fail which can ultimately end up with a new engine. It costs around 2k to swap over before the fault.

thanks. yikes £2k to swap part. better off spending the £2k on a newer car!