Tyres : 225 45 17 front 235 45 17 rear ?

alictait

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a new to me A4 B7 2007 2.0TDi TDV. The car currently has 235 45 17 tyres all round but I need 2 new tyres on the front. I already have 2 6mm+ 225 45 17's spare and was wondering if it would be detrimental to fit these on the front of my new Audi. I obviously don't want to cause myself any problems for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, (having just splashed out on the car)but with already having the tyres I thought i might save myself some cash.

Also should my old B5 16" wheels that currently have winter tyres on them fit and be ok on the new b7 ?

Thanks

Ali

Tyres will be fine mate, your 16"s should fit providing there 5x112 et43 or less, your B5s may not clear your calipers but a spacer will sort that, try them on.

Cheers M8, think i'll get them fitted to my 17" rims as the tyres that need replaced are around the 2mm mark.

I will try the b5 rims - they are 5x112 but not sure of the offset, they are oem from a B6 though ?, how much are spacersif they are needed ?

Also though, my spare will be 235 45 17, would that be a problem if I had a puncture on one of the fronts and had to use it. I guess not though thinking about it as long as it was only for a relatively short time, A space saver tyre would have quite a sizeable difference and they are ok subject to a speed restriction.

Yeah it'll be fine just go steady if you ever have to use it, if your 16"s are from a B6 they should fit no problem just watch your ride height with them fitted but being am SE they should be fine.

Spacers can be bought from eBay for between £15 and £130 depending size and type.

If you need them just get 5 or 10mm hubcentric spacers, you'll need 2 packs for all 4 wheels and some longer wheel nuts as your standard ones wont be ling enough.

You should be fine but the rolling circumfrence will be lower as your running on 235 on the rear and 225 on the front.
45% of 225 is lower than 45% of 235 so at very high speeds the difference will be so great that the ABS/EBS will see a noticable difference
in front to rear wheel speeds.
It may just run fine or in the worst case scenario the ABS will come on the dash and the Speedo may stop working.
I've had this issue with a customers Mercedes Benz, running wider rubber on the rear, at 70mph the speedo stopped working and the ABS shut down ;)

Brill m8, debating whether to go that route or whether to buy a new wheel from ebay that comes with a new tyre for £100. (tyre is £140 on its own) Could fit that with my spare and retain the stock 235 45 17 all round. The 225 45 17's wont go to waste as they are the size thats fitted on my wifes BMW. (I don't hold it against her - much)

Only had my new 2007 a4 2 days, but love it. Such a step up from my 2000 b5, although I still feel like I am cheating on her :). I need to get it fixed though before I can sell it.

Last edited:
You should be fine but the rolling circumfrence will be lower as your running on 235 on the rear and 225 on the front.
45% of 225 is lower than 45% of 235 so at very high speeds the difference will be so great that the ABS/EBS will see a noticable difference
in front to rear wheel speeds.
It may just run fine or in the worst case scenario the ABS will come on the dash and the Speedo may stop working.
I've had this issue with a customers Mercedes Benz, running wider rubber on the rear, at 70mph the speedo stopped working and the ABS shut down ;)

And on this note, I think I may just buy that wheel !!!!

It should be fine, most ABS systems allow for a 2-3 mph speed difference between the wheels for when you are cornering ect..

It will be fine were talking 45% of 10mm

I'm running 8j fronts and 9j rears with 235/45s all-round and drove to Scotland from leeds yesterday at 70 - 80 with no issues.

It will be fine were talking 45% of 10mm

I'm running 8j fronts and 9j rears with 235/45s all-round and drove to Scotland from leeds yesterday at 70 - 80 with no issues.

I done that trip on thursday (and back again) to collect the car :). Thanks guys

Yeah it's a long un, setting off back in the morning. You get your car from Leeds then mate?