Clutch slip already (not even done 30k!!!)

andyherd

Reaction score
Bad news is my clutch is slipping, car hasn't even done 30k!!! Luckily it's covered by my warranty as I've had the motor less than 3 weeks, got it booked in next week. Anyone else had this issue? I'm guessing the previous owner maybe drove it hard.

...I/ve had 2 clutches/DMF fitted under warranty in 2 different cars...a 'mechanic' at the dealership said the dual mass flywheel was a common problem (have you not had the horrible smell from the clutch as well yet? Never had a problem with clutches before in 27 years of driving cars/motorbikes and HGV'S)
JohnyT

Last edited:
With only that many miles, maybe it's done a lot of town driving and as such, a lot of gear changes. You can't really judge things like that on mileage. It doesn't necessarily mean it's been driven hard either, maybe the previous owner had a bad driving style, eg holding it on the clutch on hills.
At least it's still in warranty, I hope they cover it. Good luck.

Yeah - mine went on my 2.0t quattro after just 32,500 (4 years old).

Surprised they'll cover it under warranty - mine was bought 2nd hand from an Audi dealer 2 months prior and they said 'wear & tear' - so not covered!

Eventually got them to pay out - but it was a struggle.

See if they'll replace the Dual Mass Flywheel whilst they're at it (it might have some high spots on it).

If you can get under warranty, it'll save you £1,350 - the amount that the dealer tried to charge me!

How can I tell if it's the clutch or the flywheel? As yet I have no clutch smell. Doesn't the flywheel have to be changed when the clutch is done as a matter of course?

Its common practice to replace a DMF when the clutch is replaced, and the only way I can tell to see if one is broken is to remove it, give it a turn and see what noise it makes, if it sounds like a bag of spanners it's knackered lol.

Aye the guy did mention the gearbox was going to be dropped out so I'd guess the clutch and flywheel will probably be replaced anyway