Potential new S4 owner...

ROBS3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't been on here for a while, but need some advice as I feel like it's time for me to trade in the S3(8L) and look for something bigger, and the S4 saloon seems to tick the right boxes. BMW M3 and 335i have also crossed my mind, but just not sure if I want to own a BMW?!

Just wondering if you guys could give me your input and thoughts, and anything to look out for if I do go down the S4 route. I have been looking for about 6 months now and nothing has really come up (tons of M3 and 335s though!) Ideally if it's an S4 I want a saloon, manual and an 05 plate onwards (did they do another face lift in 07 with the same V8?).

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Rob

I have mates that have owned M3's but no experience of the 335. which shape beemer would it be? i would def go for an S4 over an E46 M3 but not sure about the new shape (E92 i think?) prob go S4 over any of them to be honest. My mate had an RS4 and the noise is worth the price tag alone.

I love my S4, the noise it makes with a milltek is stunning definitely up there with any car I've heard and easily justifies the higher than average fuel costs ;)
It's surefooted and quick, practical, not bad in snow, understated but still gets attention (people hear you coming :)
Not sure of the exact differences on the 07 cars, they definitely got different wheels, possibly diff headlights and I recall reading of a change to either suspicion or engine. Anything after march 06 gets shafted on tax for an extra £200

Look out for noises on startup, make sure you have full service history more regular the oil changes the better

Get one

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. The M3 would be the previous version (E46), or the current 335.

I do like the understated looks of the S4 but once that V8 rumbles, I'm sure it'll get the heads turning! I think it offers everything I'm wanting, I've just to find one that ticks all the boxes for me.

Thanks for the tips - I guess the search continues.

Cheers

Hi all,

Sorry for bringing up this post again but got another quick question...

Ideally I was looking for a manual S4, but most of the ones I have seen have been autos.
I have always owned manuals, I have driven a few autos but like the interaction of a manual. When speaking to an Audi salesperson, he said that the auto is better suited to the S4 than the manual (he may have just been trying to sell me the auto they had in stock!) but wondered what your opinions were... manual or auto?

Cheers in advance

Manual! You just cant have the same fun in a auto like you can in a manual. Its the whole feeling of clutch, gear, accelarate! downshifting and putting your foot down etc...nothings the same. Auto's are too lazy unless your 40, driving a mercedes and dont care for REAL driving!

Cheers Fahim - I think I would miss a manual too much if I went for an auto.

Thanks for your input!

My cars an auto, its all Audi seemed to have UK wide, but in my defence it is a diesel and im more fussed about how it looks, if it was ptrol i would never have an auto, agree with Fahim there lazy and you have no interaction with the car you just point it and go.

MANUAL!!!! :)

Cheers mate, it's certainly making my decision easier!
Just got to try and find one now!!

Im looked myself theres not alot about is there? yet you can search M3 on ebay and have a million results, that alone is reason enough to go S4, plus you get to stick with a proper badge on your car.

ha ha - you are right, I keep looking at M3's and there really is 100's of them for sale!

I'd rather the S4 for many reasons, except I can't find the one I want. I'm in no rush, just want to make sure it ticks all the right boxes. The search continues...

Manual! Auto's are too lazy unless your 40, driving a mercedes and dont care for REAL driving!

Oi less of the 40 lark cos thats me at the end of march lol, don't stop me enjoying fast motors gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ha ha, but got to agree I will be after a manual not auto.

By the way I currently drive a BMW E36 and have to say it was no fun in the snow, you really have to think about your journey and avoid all hills, ****** thing go's sideways quite easily in the wet let alone the snow, I really miss my old Scooby wagon but want a bit more refinement so S4 it is if I can find a nice one this year.

Cheers for your input mate.

I'm still looking, but proving pretty hard to find the one I want atm!