B8 Steering wheel in a B7

Wrath

Reaction score
Wanted to upgrade my 3-spoke MFSW for one with the silver multi-function buttons and an S-Line badge (didn't want an S4 steering wheel), sadly the B7 range never came with them so I thought I'd buy a refurb off an ebay seller and swap out the buttons as I bought the silver buttons separately.

After archiemac posted to say he had fitted a B8 S4 wheel, I thought I'd take the plunge and bought a bargain B8 S-Line wheel off ebay.

Fitted it last night, in the freezing snow and it works beautifully and really sets off the interior.

So, those people with a 2005-2007 B7 will probably have a steering wheel part number of 8P0 419 091. You can replace this with an 8K0 419 091. It's possible that the 2007-2008 wheels, I think are 8E0 419 091 will probably work as well.

Guess I'll have to flog my silver buttons on ebay (they were pricey!).

Here's a pic:

MFSW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ruairi83
that looks really good wrath! the silver really goes well with your interior!

apart from the steering wheel itself, did you need anything else?! i currently have a 05 A4 with a 3 spoke steering wheel and have been looking into changing it to a MFSW. what else would i need to do this conversion?!

Changing from a MFSW to a B8 MFSW needs no extra's but to go from a non-MFSW to a MFSW requires a few components. There are various threads on here about what you need and you'll need the correct part numbers. Keep an eye out on ebay.de for them.

You'll need a new steering wheel control module, slip ring, airbag harness and steering wheel.

LIKE IT WRATH!

What kind of job was it to fit? I have a four spoke SE MFST steering wheel currently fitted to my A4 and I'm looking to change it for a nice S-Line three spoke wheel.. However it is proving expensive due to the fact the steering wheels being sold with Airbags are about £450@!

Are you going to sell your old wheel - however I guess you have re-used your airbag?

Last edited:
Cheers mate. Yep, I've kept the airbag as they are pricey and there was no need to swap it over.

Have in mind that you might be able to sell your current airbag so you might get money back on it.

Swapping it over was easy, I'm a dab-hand at taking wheel's off now ;)

Tell me, was your old SW a 'multifunction' type or did you upgrade that function as well?

I originally had a non-MFSW. Got all the bits and installed a MFSW and cruise. Then swapped the MFSW for this one.

Will I be able to fit the 8E0 419 091AH MFSW to my existing 4F0971 589A Airbag??

Wanted to upgrade my 3-spoke MFSW for one with the silver multi-function buttons and an S-Line badge (didn't want an S4 steering wheel), sadly the B7 range never came with them so I thought I'd buy a refurb off an ebay seller and swap out the buttons as I bought the silver buttons separately.

After archiemac posted to say he had fitted a B8 S4 wheel, I thought I'd take the plunge and bought a bargain B8 S-Line wheel off ebay.

Fitted it last night, in the freezing snow and it works beautifully and really sets off the interior.

So, those people with a 2005-2007 B7 will probably have a steering wheel part number of 8P0 419 091. You can replace this with an 8K0 419 091. It's possible that the 2007-2008 wheels, I think are 8E0 419 091 will probably work as well.

Guess I'll have to flog my silver buttons on ebay (they were pricey!).

Here's a pic:

MFSW.jpg

Nice mod Wrath. I've previously retrofitted a MFSWand cruise to my car but the SW didnt have the badge etc. Is it basically a straight swap then? I hope so !
Cheers

where do you dig these up from 2010

Wow blast from the past! The wheel is a straight swap. The B7 version doesn't have silver trim and doesn't have an S-Line badge.

mines got the s-line badge but no silver trim

There's one on the bay but they want £100 for it. Worth it?
Also whats the procedure for the change. I realise airbag off job.
TIA

There's one on the bay but they want £100 for it. Worth it?
Also whats the procedure for the change. I realise airbag off job.
TIA

stright swap if you have MFSW.
make sure its not from the A3 tho

What's the difference with the A3 one?
I've seen a recent advert saying this wheel will fit A3/4 etc????

Hi guys

To clarify one point: the original poster has a manual car...

Is it also a straight swap for those with Tiptronic paddle shift (S4 etc)?

I was sure I read somewhere about there being an issue with single/dual stage airbags? or is that putting a B8 wheel onto a B6?

I was sure I read somewhere about there being an issue with single/dual stage airbags? or is that putting a B8 wheel onto a B6?
B6 has single stage airbags,both B7 and B8 have dual stage airbags.

Hi guys,
I just purchased Audi B7 Cabriolet. It has RNS-E but no MFSW.
My steering wheel is 3 spoke B7 stock. I wonder if I get same steering as in picture above from B8 s-line will my airbag fit ?
So I could buy it cheaper from damaged car.
Thanks for response !

It will depend if you have a dual or single stage airbag. You will need to check as cab wheels are different from saloons in fitments

Ive have a b8 sline wheel for sale in classifieds if anyone needs one.

or you could just buy the 2 switches from a seat dealer as the seat exeo has the silver edged switches on a rebadged 3 spoke s-line steering wheel, cost is a fraction of the same audi part.

I have just done the same mod, with the exact same style of wheel!

Having had a 3 series previously, I never liked the fact that my B7 Avant SE didn't have an S-Line badge on the wheel. So, after much umming and erring, I took the plunge and bought a B8 MSFW from a company on Ebay, had the cruise retrofit done and even bought a replacement handbrake cover to match the two-tone grey leather in the car too. I now love my Audi even more - if that's possible!

My previous MFSW is for sale. It's a DTM version if anyone is interested? The alcantara is more like regular leather now, but it's still in good condition.