JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wrath

Thread: B8 Steering wheel in a B7

5th Gear

Status

B8 Steering wheel in a B7

Wanted to upgrade my 3-spoke MFSW for one with the silver multi-function buttons and an S-Line badge (didn't want an S4 steering wheel), sadly the B7 range never came with them so I thought I'd buy a refurb off an ebay seller and swap out the buttons as I bought the silver buttons separately.

After archiemac posted to say he had fitted a B8 S4 wheel, I thought I'd take the plunge and bought a bargain B8 S-Line wheel off ebay.

Fitted it last night, in the freezing snow and it works beautifully and really sets off the interior.

So, those people with a 2005-2007 B7 will probably have a steering wheel part number of 8P0 419 091. You can replace this with an 8K0 419 091. It's possible that the 2007-2008 wheels, I think are 8E0 419 091 will probably work as well.

Guess I'll have to flog my silver buttons on ebay (they were pricey!).

Here's a pic:

Last edited by Wrath; 1st December 2010 at 13:13.
    ruairi83 likes this.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    A nice touch. I like!

Neutral

Status
    that looks really good wrath! the silver really goes well with your interior!

apart from the steering wheel itself, did you need anything else?! i currently have a 05 A4 with a 3 spoke steering wheel and have been looking into changing it to a MFSW. what else would i need to do this conversion?!

5th Gear

Status
    Changing from a MFSW to a B8 MFSW needs no extra's but to go from a non-MFSW to a MFSW requires a few components. There are various threads on here about what you need and you'll need the correct part numbers. Keep an eye out on ebay.de for them.

You'll need a new steering wheel control module, slip ring, airbag harness and steering wheel.
    Nathan

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

2nd Gear

Status
    LIKE IT WRATH!

What kind of job was it to fit? I have a four spoke SE MFST steering wheel currently fitted to my A4 and I'm looking to change it for a nice S-Line three spoke wheel.. However it is proving expensive due to the fact the steering wheels being sold with Airbags are about Ł450@!

Are you going to sell your old wheel - however I guess you have re-used your airbag?
    Last edited by AudiSport; 1st December 2010 at 21:50.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers mate. Yep, I've kept the airbag as they are pricey and there was no need to swap it over.

Have in mind that you might be able to sell your current airbag so you might get money back on it.

Swapping it over was easy, I'm a dab-hand at taking wheel's off now
    Nathan

Reverse Gear

Status
    Tell me, was your old SW a 'multifunction' type or did you upgrade that function as well?
    S4 B7 V8, DOLPHIN GREY, MANUAL, NON-RES MILLTEK, SPRINTBOOSTER.
    RANGE ROVER P38 V8, AUTO, LPG'D.

5th Gear

Status
    I originally had a non-MFSW. Got all the bits and installed a MFSW and cruise. Then swapped the MFSW for this one.
    Nathan

4th Gear

Status
    Will I be able to fit the 8E0 419 091AH MFSW to my existing 4F0971 589A Airbag??

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Wanted to upgrade my 3-spoke MFSW for one with the silver multi-function buttons and an S-Line badge (didn't want an S4 steering wheel), sadly the B7 range never came with them so I thought I'd buy a refurb off an ebay seller and swap out the buttons as I bought the silver buttons separately.

After archiemac posted to say he had fitted a B8 S4 wheel, I thought I'd take the plunge and bought a bargain B8 S-Line wheel off ebay.

Fitted it last night, in the freezing snow and it works beautifully and really sets off the interior.

So, those people with a 2005-2007 B7 will probably have a steering wheel part number of 8P0 419 091. You can replace this with an 8K0 419 091. It's possible that the 2007-2008 wheels, I think are 8E0 419 091 will probably work as well.

Guess I'll have to flog my silver buttons on ebay (they were pricey!).

Here's a pic:

Torque the Torque

2nd Gear

Status
    I got this wheel as standard in my b7 just without the sline badge

1st Gear

Status
    Nice mod Wrath. I've previously retrofitted a MFSWand cruise to my car but the SW didnt have the badge etc. Is it basically a straight swap then? I hope so !
    Cheers
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Dension, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Tyres: presently running Vredenstein Sessanta's: SUPERB!

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    where do you dig these up from 2010

1st Gear

Status
    Google is your friend
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Dension, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Tyres: presently running Vredenstein Sessanta's: SUPERB!

5th Gear

Status
    Wow blast from the past! The wheel is a straight swap. The B7 version doesn't have silver trim and doesn't have an S-Line badge.
    Nathan

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    mines got the s-line badge but no silver trim

4th Gear

Status
    Cheers
    Torque the Torque

1st Gear

Status
    There's one on the bay but they want ÂŁ100 for it. Worth it?
    Also whats the procedure for the change. I realise airbag off job.
    TIA

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wyliss View Post
    There's one on the bay but they want ÂŁ100 for it. Worth it?
    Also whats the procedure for the change. I realise airbag off job.
    TIA
    stright swap if you have MFSW.
    make sure its not from the A3 tho

4th Gear

Status
    Bez, do you know what ~Audi steering wheel this part numbers from 8e0 419 091

Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    stright swap if you have MFSW.
    make sure its not from the A3 tho
    Torque the Torque

1st Gear

Status
    What's the difference with the A3 one?
    I've seen a recent advert saying this wheel will fit A3/4 etc????

5th Gear

Status
    The A3 one is shallower and the airbag screws are in a slightly different place.
    Nathan

Neutral

Status
    Hi guys

To clarify one point: the original poster has a manual car...

Is it also a straight swap for those with Tiptronic paddle shift (S4 etc)?

Neutral

Status
    I was sure I read somewhere about there being an issue with single/dual stage airbags? or is that putting a B8 wheel onto a B6?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyP View Post
    I was sure I read somewhere about there being an issue with single/dual stage airbags? or is that putting a B8 wheel onto a B6?
    B6 has single stage airbags,both B7 and B8 have dual stage airbags.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

4th Gear

Status
    Yes as I have upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Hi guys

To clarify one point: the original poster has a manual car...

Is it also a straight swap for those with Tiptronic paddle shift (S4 etc)?
    Torque the Torque