A4 Cab door/window in the ice

Johnytuono

Reaction score
Hi
First time owner of a cab and the first frosty morning of ownership.
Car was iced up this morning, everything unlocked/opened ok..started the engine, blower on full, scraped the ice off front/side windows got in the car and shut the drivers door. Only thing is it didn't shut properly, so when I inspected it I realised that the drivers window did'nt 'go up' that couple of cm as it's supposed to on a cab. Obviously it was frozen, so I got some warm water and poured it around the window, problem sorted. On a saloon etc I would'nt have needed to open/close the window because it 'sits' still in the frame. Is this some sort of design fault then? How do other cab owners manage these icy mornings? Tips most welcome !
JohnyT

I wouldn't worry, mine always stick a little but it's extremely rare for the window to stick down, but given the change in temps it's not suprising - most non-cabs will be struggling to get their windows down for a few minutes, just be glad it did come down otherwise you wouldn't have got into the car!

Dont worry mine does it as well. last winter the window would not drop at all on a few occasions. You just have to be gentle when shutting the door because the window will sit slightly on the outside of the roof material. But after a few minutes with the heater on, open and close the door and its all good again.

Last year I went out one evening and one of my mates was telling me how much of a strong man he is - well it was something like -10 so I suggested we go for a little drive up the motorway with him in the back and the roof down (it was so funny!!!!!)

But! It did take ages for me to get the roof down as the lid partly opened then froze up and stayed half open and wouldn't budge - dol!

I can tell you all something though - the first part of your body to freeze when driving "quickly" on an empty motorway with the roof down when it's "chilly" is your feet! My numbed up after about 3-4 minutes!

Lol! The coldest Ive ever got the roof down was about 10oC. That was around this time last year got a few funny looks. But had the heater cranked up to 26 on footell setting and was quite warm!

Thinking about it, i did cheat a little, i had my heated seats on!

I'm thinking of buying a smart roof asap!

I always poor water over them before I attempt to open the door with weather like this.