MFSW Retro Fit

Irish EK

Reaction score
i have been wanting to complete a few mods on my 2005 (September) 2.0TDi S Line A4 over the last few months and have finally decided to try and sort them out. i have just had 4 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres fitted am getting round to sorting cruise control and 6000k HiD lights in my dims and fogs. One thing i have always wanted though and really would like to get is a multi-function steering wheel. but what exactly do i need?!

i have read that some people have had awful problems trying to get this to work. if i bought the shell of a 2006 MFSW and used my current airbag, will this work once programmed? plug and play?! or do i need other items to get it going. any advice appreciated!

I assume you don't currently have cruise, in which case you will need:

steering wheel control module
slip ring
airbag harness

There are plenty of instructions and part numbers out there, best advice is to keep an eye on ebay.de as slip rings and swcm's cost a bomb from the stealers. Had this link in my favourites:

B7 Multi-Function Steering Wheel into 2002 Audi 24...

You will need the right tools as well.

thanks for the reply wrath. so am i right to assume hat once i have the shell of the wheel, that all i will need is steering wheel control module, slip ring and airbag harness?! can i use my existing airbag with the MFSW?! if i already have a 2006 spec A4 (September 2005), do i still need all of the above items?! I will be getting my VAG mechanic to fit it so he would have all the tools and VAGcom etc.

and no there isnt already CC in the car, but I am in the process of ordering the parts from Audi Ireland and getting the mechanic to fit it. working out at apporx €180.00 all in. does this interfere with plans for the MFSW?

Last edited:
Do not pay €180! send me a pm and I'll sort you out.

thanks for the reply wrath. so am i right to assume hat once i have the shell of the wheel, that all i will need is steering wheel control module, slip ring and airbag harness?! can i use my existing airbag with the MFSW?! if i already have a 2006 spec A4 (September 2005), do i still need all of the above items?! I will be getting my VAG mechanic to fit it so he would have all the tools and VAGcom etc.

and no there isnt already CC in the car, but I am in the process of ordering the parts from Audi Ireland and getting the mechanic to fit it. working out at apporx €180.00 all in. does this interfere with plans for the MFSW?

If you are changing a 4-spoke for a 4-spoke wheel or a 3-spoke for a 3-spoke then you can keep your existing airbag.

Fitting cruise is best done at the same time as both require the wheel to be taken off but have in mind that you probably need a new clutch switch (only around £15 from a dealer).

Do not pay €180! send me a pm and I'll sort you out.

Thats €180 for all the parts from audi ireland and fitted by my mechanic?! I wud hav thought that thats a fairly reasonable price?!

If you are changing a 4-spoke for a 4-spoke wheel or a 3-spoke for a 3-spoke then you can keep your existing airbag.

Fitting cruise is best done at the same time as both require the wheel to be taken off but have in mind that you probably need a new clutch switch (only around £15 from a dealer).

I currently have a 3 spoke s line wheel so i take it i can use the airbag from this?! If i am swapping like for like do i still need the slip ring, harness and control module?! Wud they not be the same as its the same style steering wheel?! Only an issue of setton up / progamming for steering wheel buttons?!

I currently have a 3 spoke s line wheel so i take it i can use the airbag from this?! If i am swapping like for like do i still need the slip ring, harness and control module?! Wud they not be the same as its the same style steering wheel?! Only an issue of setton up / progamming for steering wheel buttons?!

Airbag should work fine. Yep, you will need a new slip ring, swcm and harness as the part numbers you will have on yours won't have the extra pins needed for the buttons or cruise. Must have been a cost saving for Audi. 180 all in is a good deal, they mkust have parts lying around.

Once put together I didn't need to code the buttons to work but did for the cruise however this may be different depending on your chassis.

I retro fitted the MFSW to my DTM, I had some luck and picked up a Slip ring(4E0953541B) for £65 from ebay.de I already had SCM(8E0953549Q) fitted not sure if it was the correct part as people have recommended part number (8E0953549R) so I took a gamble and fitted it coded it and it worked like a dream.

Ooh and for the record SCM 8E0953549Q works !

Thanks solaris! I was just going to ask if someone had the part numbers i needed! just to confirm so:

Steering wheel: 4FO419091 BT URS
Slip ring: 4EO953541B
SWCM: 8EO953549R or Q
And does someone have the number for the harness?! So with all these parts, a MFSW shell and my airbag and it will work?!

Last edited:
Harness you need is:

4F0 971 589 A

It's around £10-£15 from the dealer.

Hmmm, is that steering wheel one from an A6?

Cheers again wrath. I dont really know to be honest?! I have looked on ebay and the description was for an A3, A4 and A6. Seller gave the part number so when i googled that the only links that came up was for an 8P A3. It wud still fit my A4 though wudnt it?! It has "very rare" red and white stitching. Hopefully it will fit and wit all the other part numbers i can get it installed!

Cheers again wrath. I dont really know to be honest?! I have looked on ebay and the description was for an A3, A4 and A6. Seller gave the part number so when i googled that the only links that came up was for an 8P A3. It wud still fit my A4 though wudnt it?! It has "very rare" red and white stitching. Hopefully it will fit and wit all the other part numbers i can get it installed!

Should be fine. The SW part numbers changed in the B7 range in 2007 which I believe occurred at the same time the A3 changed theirs. 2005-2007 B7's had a part number starting 8P0 (which is historically an A3 part number), 2007 onwards it changed to 8E0.

From what I've found out the B7 8P0 and 8E0 are the same fit wheels but the change in the A3 range altered the airbag screw height.