Why are Audi dealers so useless?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I needed a new key coding to my car. On Saturday morning, 9am, I phoned Bexley Audi, half a mile from the house, to see if I could take it in and get it done while I waited. The service man was busy, so the receptionist took my number. No return call by 10am, so I called again. Same thing, another message taken, but still no call back by 11am, or even Midday. By then, knowing they closed at 1pm, I gave up.

This morning, when I got to work, I called them again, figuring I could call in on the way home this afternoon. Service man busy, message taken to call me back. I called Docklands Audi, literally across the road from my workplace. Same thing. I asked the receptionist if I could just bring the car in. "No, it needs booking in, as it takes over an hour. I'll get the service people to call you."

By 11am, neither dealer had called me. So I phoned Sanspeed, the indie garage about 200 yards from home, just to ask on the off chance if they could even do a key coding. "Of course we can; bring it in on the way home this afternoon".

Just before I left work at 3.30, my office phone rang, so I let I go to voicemail. It was Bexley Audi leaving a message saying they could probably do it some time this week, provided I didn't need a courtesy car.

Ignored it and left the office, getting to Sanspeed at 4pm. I sat in their reception lounge drinking coffee, reading old copies of Evo, Performance Car and Retro Ford, while they did it. It took half an hour, and they charged me £35, including the VAT.

How can something so simple be beyond two Audi dealers to organise?

They make it from charging £120 an hour from fleet vehicles. They really aren't into customer service or indeed any vehicle out of manufacturers warranty, especially fiddly little jobs from difficult customers who may actually question the bill.

They make it from charging £120 an hour from fleet vehicles. They really aren't into customer service or indeed any vehicle out of manufacturers warranty, especially fiddly little jobs from difficult customers who may actually question the bill.
Thats the nail on the head right there! I am only a month into owning my Audi, this prestigeous marque with a distinguished pedigree:ermm:............................I amazed at the inept service offerred. Had much the same thing when just trying to order few simple parts myself. Takes forever to try and get through if indeed you ever do. They must of clean forgotten that they make more money as a business from parts and labour than the original sale of the vehicle. My particular local dealership makes me wonder if its possible to talk to a grown-up in the building! It almost makes you question what you've bought!

my first audi was a a4 b6 sport 2.0fsi.. still have it.. i decided i would upgrade to a b6 190 1.8T sline so went to audi used car section and asked if they could get me one in and the sales guy told me there wasnt a sline in the b6 model! how did he get that job! ****..

The problem is that 90% of the guys and gals that work in the dealerships are not enthusiasts like we are. Its just a job to them and that includes everyone from the bony 16 year old apprentice newly recruited in the parts department to the 50 year old receptionist who still believes that Audis come from stalks and are dropped down the chimneys of new owners. They are just as slack handed as the bods that serve you in BK or the idiots in PC world.
A while back a newly trained parts guy (Slough Audi) tried selling me engine oil for my diff. No I told him. But still he went about going to convince me that oil is oil regardless. Ok I said. Lets go outside and put 2 stroke moto x oil in your rs chavbo (turbo). Little ******* shut up then. MANAGER!! LET ME TALK TO HIM NOW!!!

Not an Audi related tale, but inept dealer nevertheless. I am Admin on Vectra-C.com and we had a member on there go into his local VXL dealership for something for his Vectra VXR. The parts MANAGER, yes MANAGER, said "you mean Astra VXR....". "No..." said our man, "....Vectra VXR". In the most patronising manner believable, the manager smirked and said, "No, you mean Astra, there's no such thing as a Vectra VXR"

Our member had to grab the attention of a passing Vauxhall fitter to tell the bloke that there was a Vectra VXR

Absolutely unbelievable

On an Audi note, when I picked up my A4 and rang the dealer for the prices of all the parts for the Cruise Control retrofit, he said it wasn't possible to do it. I felt like shouting down the phone, "LOOK, these are the part numbers, just give me the prices....." :motz:

they also told me that my two power steering pipes were cracked and needed replaced at a cost of £280. i said no thanks and took it to my mate who owns a garage. he inspected the pipes and and they were 100% fine, i was losing pas fluid but it must of been a loose connection causing it as it never leaked again since leaving audi so obviously they niped it up!!!

i also needed details about my extended warrenty for a repair i was to have done, the guy at audi dealing with it knew all the details of the problem and was sorting it for me, earlier that week i was up with him talking about it and threw chatting he said he was for holiday thurs so thurs came and i foned 3 or 4 times asking for him to call back, still no return call so i called again and was told he was away and wont be back for a week! nice service! the girl i had to explain everythin again to was goin 100% by the book, by sounds of her she was reading it straight out of the audi workers manual fs.. told me it would cost this and that but infact i was covered!! alot of people not knowing any better would bite the bullet and pay up to get the car back on the road...

Update! Someone from Docklands Audi has just called and said; "I understand you want to book your car in for a service."