Advice please looking at either S4 or 3lt Tdi

Hightower

Reaction score
Looking at changing my 1.8T sline for either an S4 or 3lt tdi avant, just wondering how close the performance of the tdi (after remap) is to the S4 as although I really fancy an S4 I'm not sure I could live with the sub 20mpg if the tdi is pretty close (I'm averaging 24mpg in my 1.8).

Also my brother in law has just brought an S4 and I have to say I was really disappointed with the spec of it, I thought on an S4 you would get loads of goodies as standard, my sline has a better spec.

Which model tdi is best for remapping as I see there is a pd model and a tdv

Thanks in advance

are you really worried about mpg? if you are then a v8 aint really the way to go but if ur not then id say v8 all the way!! im hopeing to get a b7 rs4 next although it wont be for a few years yet :-(

I'm a bit worried as to how bad the mpg could go on the V8 as if we just use our car for work and no long trips out at the weekend then I'm achieving only 18 mpg, so I daren't even think how low the S4 would be doing the same trips.

So also looking at how disappointing my brother in laws spec S4 is compared to my Sline I do wonder how close the driving experience is between the S4 and a remapped 3lt tdi would be as the tdi would have better torque for everyday driving plus much better mpg, however I do love the sound of the v8 with some loud pipes on but saying that I have heard a tdi with milteks on and you couldn't tell it was a diesel with the V6 sound it made.

I've also got a 1971 vw camper that does sub 20mpg but that's going to be sold next year for something more practical.

I'm a bit worried as to how bad the mpg could go on the V8 as if we just use our car for work and no long trips out at the weekend then I'm achieving only 18 mpg, so I daren't even think how low the S4 would be doing the same trips.

So also looking at how disappointing my brother in laws spec S4 is compared to my Sline I do wonder how close the driving experience is between the S4 and a remapped 3lt tdi would be as the tdi would have better torque for everyday driving plus much better mpg, however I do love the sound of the v8 with some loud pipes on but saying that I have heard a tdi with milteks on and you couldn't tell it was a diesel with the V6 sound it made.

I've also got a 1971 vw camper that does sub 20mpg but that's going to be sold next year for something more practical.

some valid points there mate! only you can decide wa will best fit into ur lifestyle.
i know wa you mean about the spec it took me few weeks and alot of national searches on autotrader to tick all the boxes only i didnt manage to get was sat nav n xenons but may retro fit them in time :rockwoot:

my mate jus bought a 3.0 v6 diesel vectra not as refined as the audi v6 im sure but for old oil burner its fairly impressive and although its only 185bhp the torque makes up for it and in the low gears it pull nice and keeps up with my 220 horses i should imagine a remaped audi will be very impressive and wont disapoint u:happy::yes:

its either a b8 a4 3.0tdi sline or a5 3.0tdi sline for me nxt... the A5 does 0-60 in 5.7 with 236 bhp and 500nm torque with 42 mpg! after a map it would be 280bhp and 590nm torque.. now that serious power....be good bit less 0-60 after that one upgrade alone..

the A4 does the same... love the look of both cars but the A5 in my price range is the coupe which isnt handy for gettin kid in an outa baby seat..

be less tax, insurance and fuel making a nice saving over a yr..

the s4 is powerful and and sounds great but performance wise for that type of car is pretty poor.. the merc's an m3's blow it outa the water not to mention 2.0 sub's or evo's! be really just buying one for the sound and havin more money than sense.. thats my opinion anyway..

I do like the A5 but I think they are out of my price bracket at the moment.

The 3lt tdi engine seems an awesome bit of kit in standard form it's got more bhp (never mind torque) than the 3lt petrol. I've seen remapped figures of 275-300bhp for some tuners.

I was tempted to tune my 1.8t to 300+ but for how much I would have to spend it would be cheaper to get something different after shelling out for new injectors, fuel pump, turbo, brakes & clutch.

i was nevera diesel fan but the figures speak for themselves.. the suspension mite not be up to scratch but thats a detail most people change but realisticly how hard would u be pushing your car round public roads.. as long as your leaving gti's or vtec's etc on the motorway im happy lol which im doin in my 2.0T at the min :)

i was nevera diesel fan but the figures speak for themselves.. the suspension mite not be up to scratch but thats a detail most people change but realisticly how hard would u be pushing your car round public roads.. as long as your leaving gti's or vtec's etc on the motorway im happy lol which im doin in my 2.0T at the min :)

n me ;) lol its fun when the assume its a slow rep car lol

ano mate lol i get boys in there 2.0ci bmw of 330d which is quick but im smokein them.. they.. prob assume ive std sline diesel or somethin.. an old old man in a big gold lexus, a 4.0L thing was trying smoke me on motorway couldnt believe it, old wife sittin beside him and all.. was bout quater mile ahead b4 changed into 4th, the a car on my lane held me up and in anger the old boy undertook me lol..

checked the lexus stats there and it was a 4.0L v8 280bhp 0-60 6.7secs lol