2005 A4 with Bluetooth and MFSW question - coding problem?

Fireyjack

Reaction score
Just fitted Bluetooth OEM - but seem to have a problem with coding.

I have a MFSW & Concert II radio unit in my 2005 A4.

Problems:
The contacts are not appearing on the main display.
The scroll buttons on the steering wheel work - but the other two function buttons don't.
If I hit the function on the left and then press the left scroll - it calls the first contact - but this one only - there is no way of changing and it doesn't display the contact.

What's working:
Sound is perfect
Incoming calls are fine (but again not displayed)
My mobile (Nokia 6233) is paired up & connects fine everytime I turn the ignition / swith it off.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks,

Tim. :confused:

Hi Tim

I am having similar problems with my OEM install .

Similar Problems:
The contacts are not appearing on the main display.
The scroll buttons on the steering wheel work and the Speak button works but the Mode button is not working correctly
If I hit the Mode on the left and then press the left scroll - it calls a random contact - I think scrolling the wheel does pick another contact but it doesn't display the contact in the main display

msaunders - you're problems are exactly the same as mine.

Please let me know how you get on.

Tim.

Has anyone coded the cluster for telephone?

Channel 62 of module 17 add 2 to the currect value to enable telephone in the DIS>

Channel 062: CAN-Databus Infotainment (Installation List)
+00001 = Radio (Optional)
+00002 = Telephone (Optional)
+00004 = Navigation (Optional)
+00008 = Telematics (Optional)
+00016 = Intrument Cluster (Standard - only coded with 2nd Component)

Well we had tried but couldn't find the module when we tried querying it (77) but today , I pulled out the stereo and checked the wiring and found that the person who fitted had mistakenly connected the mute to the CAN L connection and the CAN L connection to Mute (!) , So I sorted that and will be bringing the car into car audio shop tomorrow to hook up to VCDS again . Will let you know how I get on .

Has anyone coded the cluster for telephone?

Channel 62 of module 17 add 2 to the currect value to enable telephone in the DIS>

Channel 062: CAN-Databus Infotainment (Installation List)
+00001 = Radio (Optional)
+00002 = Telephone (Optional)
+00004 = Navigation (Optional)
+00008 = Telematics (Optional)
+00016 = Intrument Cluster (Standard - only coded with 2nd Component)

CAN is not used for the 77 module in an A4, it uses K-line for diagnostics. Make sure you have K-line to the phone module if you cannot see it.

But incorrect CAN wiring will certainly stop any messages in the cluster from appearing.

Thanks . Well after I corrected the wiring , it made no difference to the display . The K-Line is also connected (white wire from BT Module connected into an existing brown)
So , you think after fixing the CAN issue it wont have any impact on being able to program the module ?

Hi

There was an iPod kit already fitted to the radio and he used the same plug so the wire going into the connection for k-line was brown ... do you think this could be causing some of my problems ?

Have you a pic of what the wiring 'should' look like ? I dont know if I am allowed to link to external sites here but we used the wiring instruction as per the BT Module suppliers website.

No I don't have any pics, all my knowledge is pretty much in my head. But if you look on the lid of the radio you can see where the K-line is. Check you are actually connected to that point.

Ok pulled out radio and K-Line appears to be the 6th connection (a blue wire) and the 5th appears to be an earth (brown wire) which is where my white is wired into ..... So it should be into the Blue wire according to the diagram on top of the Radio .

Ok but on the radio diagram it shows Pin 6 as the K-Line (blue wire). Maybe varies across radios ?

Can you confirm which radio you have and what year your car is? then i can be sure you are connecting to the right places.

K-line pin

Concert/Symphony II with ISO connectors its the 8 pin power connector pin 3
Concert/Symphony II+ with quadlock connector is GREEN connector C pin 7
RNS-E with quadlock connector is BLUE connector B pin 5

I'm not 100% certain where you are getting your pin information from.

Last edited:
Concert EU B7 Soul is on the sticker. Think its the quadlock connector. Car is 2007 , UK model.

I am thinking now will I just bite the bullet and upgrade to the RNS-E Head Unit anyway . Is it definitely worth it ? Can you recommend a vendor on this site who would supply one if that is the case ? (I am based in Ireland)

Last edited:
OK, I think i know what you've done. If your car has BOSE then the pin 5 of the BLUE connector B is a brown wire for BOSE pin.

Your K-line should be connected to the GREEN connector pin 7

Hi Craig

Ok I think the wiring is a complete mess so, because I have a feeling I was sent the fitting instructions for a RNS-E HU ........

I am thinking now will I just bite the bullet and upgrade to the RNS-E Head Unit anyway . Is it definitely worth it ? Can you recommend a vendor on this site who would supply one if that is the case ? (I am based in Ireland)

The bluetooth wiring for the RNS-E and your HU should be identical except for the K-line location, so it should work once wired in correctly.

Hi Craig

Thanks so much , you are very helpful , its really appreciated. Two questions.

1) You say Blue/Green . Do you mean a blue wire with a green stripe ? I checked and I think its just a blue wire .
2) Would you recommend upgrading to the RNS-E HU ?

No it's certainly a green wire with a blue stripe. probably hard to see in poor light, but at the end of the day the GREEN 12 pin connector is very sparsely populated and the correct pin is PIN 7.

The RNS-E is an excellent upgrade and worth the 400 squid off ebay that they cost.

You will have to move the BOSE wire in the BLUE connector from pin 5 to pin 7 and the K-Line wire from the GREEN connector pin 7 to the BLUE connector pin 5 when yo uswap to the RNS-E

Thanks Craig .

Tim , not sure if any of this helped you but maybe your problems are down to the wiring also . I will let you know how I get on .

Hi Again

Well I installed the RNS-E today and pretty much am in the same situation. Everything works nice bar the Mode button on the wheel and also I cannot import my phone book contacts. I am assuming now this is just down to getting the radio coded correctly. I moved the bose and k-line wires to the correct pins as indicated above .

Yeah.......bluetooth now fixed.

Took my car this morning to OEM Retrofits in Bradford and within 10 minutes they had got the coding right.

It now works like a dream!

Hi Folks

I have noticed an issue with my RNS-E where if I switch off the ignition and the radio is off , there is still a hissing coming from the speakers as if there is still power getting to the unit. Is this normal ? I assume its not . Any ideas what could be wired incorrectly ?

Kind Regards
Martin