What does "Phone Prep" mean?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Sorry if that seem like a daft question, but when a B7 is described as having "Phone Prep", what does that actually mean?

Can the car communicate with my mobile handset (via bluetooth maybe?) and direct calls through the car's speakers? Is there a hands-free function, and if so, how does it work?

This is a complete new departure for me, as up until now, I have always taken the view that when I'm driving, I never want to speak to anyone (not even the people in the car with me.)

It usually means it has the cradle for a handset to plug into which tbh is hit & miss if you can buy the adapter to fit your phone & most likely has the bluetooth module aswell which depending on the head unit will display phonebooks, call lists & yes work through the cars systems wirelessly.

I can add the audi bluetooth system anyway even if your car doesnt have.

Thanks. Looking at the pic I posted in the thread I posted about RNS-E - which you also very kindly replied to - there is a cradle mounted on the left hand side of the centre console.

Ah didnt realise that was of your actual car fella, I know on the A3 8P you can have dash prep or armrest prep, I know also there is an armrest prep for the B6/7 so I assume you can also have dash prep, but I suspect yours has BT aswell, just do a search with your phone for a BT device named Audiuhv etc, if it finds this then try & pair with the codes either 1111, 1234 or 0000, if it pairs then you have BT obviously, if not found then can be retrofitted perfectly as per factory.

Ah didnt realise that was of your actual car fella, I know on the A3 8P you can have dash prep or armrest prep, I know also there is an armrest prep for the B6/7 so I assume you can also have dash prep, but I suspect yours has BT aswell, just do a search with your phone for a BT device named Audiuhv etc, if it finds this then try & pair with the codes either 1111, 1234 or 0000, if it pairs then you have BT obviously, if not found then can be retrofitted perfectly as per factory.

It's not my car yet........but hopefully it will be by the end of today. We're test-driving it this afternoon :))

And we've bought it.

My first diesel and what a beauty it is. Mountains of torque!

Picking it up next Saturday. Both my wife and I hated the huge phone cradle stuck on the side of the console, sdo as we knew we'd never use, we asked them to remove it. They agreed but said it would leave two huge holes in the console. After a certain amount of determined negotiation, we succeeded in persuading the dealer to replace the console FOC.

Resurrecting an old thread, I finally today got round to tinkering with the phone mode on the RNS-E. Yes, it has got Bluetooth, and hey presto, my phone is now linked to it.

Forgive me if I seem disproportionately surprised and pleased by this, but I am something of a luddite when it comes to telecommunications, especially in the car. For me, being able to operate my phone from the car dash is akin to landing on the moon!

Thanks for reporting back, not many do tbh,