Painting chrome???

Triple.O.G

Reaction score
Alright guys, succesfully gor my bumper off and grill out so im about to clean it all up and get spraying, i need to know about spraying my chrome surround black, do i just use a fine sand paper to give it a key or keep sanding untill the chrome has gone?

Iv started fine sanding it and its just getting fine scratches, is this enough for primer to stick?

Thanks.

i would use very fine sandpaper to harse a grit will permently mark plastic then stoch pad
then prime with a proper plastic primer to ensure the primer does not react with the plastic
then repeat process and use a tack cloth to wipe surface before applying the colour
then wet sand color before laquaring (if you are that is) then tack cloth again and apply laquar
hope tha helps

Thanks mate, ill give that a bash now!! let you all know how i get on unless no ones interested ha ha!!

Please do keep us informed. I've been watching your last few threads with interest as i would like to do something similar if i haven't got the balls to spawn a rs6 and a4 grill/surround together.

Thanks!!

oh and don't forget photos! :)

I ant got the balls for that either mate, they are so expensive, I have done 2 coats of primer and a brew, just waiting for it to dry and ill pop a third on.

Ill post up a pic now of car with grill removed as it looks mint i think.

Grillless.jpg

Grillless2.jpg

Thanks mate, ill give that a bash now!! let you all know how i get on unless no ones interested ha ha!!

im interested as im thinking of painting my origional audi badge(four rings)
as the black one ive bought is not as snug a fit
as for the grill im one of the lucky ones to allready have a black surround :thumbsup::):)

Lucky bar steward! Iv left my 4 rings for now cos it the sanding is awkward and doesn't seem to be working. Was just gonna buy a black set but not if they don't fit too well!

Lucky bar steward! Iv left my 4 rings for now cos it the sanding is awkward and doesn't seem to be working. Was just gonna buy a black set but not if they don't fit too well!

they fit ok but not as tight as the origional if your going to ADI sat can c mine n wa u think still aint had courage to try fit the rear one yet

Car looks like ''mean'' and sweet without the grill on!!

bad-***

What's adi and where? Don't know nothing about it?

It looks even better now it's night time, can't wait for my new springs or coilovers now, not sure which iv decided.

Have you stuck the grill back on??

Lets have a kodak moment please!

No it's not back on yet I meant it looks good without a grill. The grill is drying in garage, 2 maybe 3 coats of laquer to go on then dry over night and fitting tomorrow. I'll put pics up in aft if I get time!

No way, just checked the thread, I'm in leeds it's 4.5 hours away for me to get there. It'll have to be the next one. That'll give me chance to get my suspension dropped down again.

Will do mate, in the mean time my grill is finished so i have yet another crappy iphone pic to post up all all grill black and reattached with the chrome 4 rings then a few pics of my car parked up with Sturs4's car.

BlackGrill.jpg

S-lineS3.jpg

S-lineS33.jpg

S-lineS34.jpg

S-lineS32.jpg

I know my car is blathered its desperate for a clean but i did take pics immediately after putting it all back together.

Hope you like.

Thanks for posting up the photos!

I'm going to get onto this painting of the grill bangwagon asap!!! :) :blush:

Oh and can i ask how you found it, taking off the grill and painting it etc on a rating from 1-10. 10 being the hardest.

What paints did you use?

Primer first, then a few coats and then clear coat on top?

Each to there own mate as im sure its not for everyone but i think it looks much better and the pics really dont do it justice.

Be careful when you do yours not to touch the bumper height locator bolts as there a real pain. the guide posted above is very good and the pics help alot.

i read somewhere that you need to jack it up and remove wheels also but you dont.

let me know how you get on and we'll await your pics. :)

i was wanting to do the chrome window surrounds black, im considering getting them anodised black gloss, would give a nice sheen. any thoughts??

Sorry Fahim, only just spotted your post. I had a mate help me which i strongly advise, Getting the bumper off took us about 2.5 hours but this is down to a bolt that was already threaded and we had to drill out. apart from that the whole thing is around a 4/10 maybe 5 if your not overly competant in the garage.

Painting i cleaned everything in the bath with hot soapy water much to the displeasure of my missis. scrub it all with a nail brush then dry it off.

sand down your chrome surround with a fine paper to give it a surface of tiny scratches so the primer can hold on.

i did 3 coats of plastic primer 15 minutes apart from my local auto shop then left it 45 minutes.

3 coats of satin black paint from same place 30 minutes apart then left for an hour before laquaer.

2 coats of shiny laquaer 30 minutes apart then left in garage to dry over night.

If you have time it will help alot to flat down the laquaer between coats for a smoother finish but as you can see from my pics it looks fine without.

all in all it can be done in 2 days (due to drying of paint) and is simple if you have all the correct tools.

hope this helps anyone else wanting to attempt this, it certainly beats buying one from Audi for a ridiculous price.

Yeah maybe Jey, i want mine doing but i didn't know if it would go back on properly, from what i've read the best thing to do is get them vinyl wrapped, anodising stuff usually leaves it with a very funky shade or tint in the colour that might look odd against your paint seen as its black like mine.

if you decide to do it let me know as i might copy your idea!!!

Thanks mate, rings look good I may have to get a set I think they look much better.

I don't understand your last post mate? Are they only £7 if so where from?

Oh yeah I found them last night, I'll grab one later. Coilovers/ h&r springs are an absolute must for my next mod, I can't stand the gap!

Thanks for link mate!

No worries dude, i always ended up paying more than anyone else somehow ha ha.

Yes mate, I don't completely remember how idid it now, you obviously need to cut down the 2 middle pieces that stick up then I drilled holes in splitter, held it up to bumper and screwed it in, you will def need a mate to help as you have to bend and play with it to drill it in straight as it doesn't fit exactly as it's not made for A4. I got my grandad to help me lol.

Yes mate, I don't completely remember how idid it now, you obviously need to cut down the 2 middle pieces that stick up then I drilled holes in splitter, held it up to bumper and screwed it in, you will def need a mate to help as you have to bend and play with it to drill it in straight as it doesn't fit exactly as it's not made for A4. I got my grandad to help me lol.

lol sounds the same procedure as wen i had to help fit my friends to his norm cupra even tho it was leon the standard bumper is different to the R one strangley enough

Sounds about right, i fitted one to my old fiesta ST and that was easier than A4.

Yeah maybe Jey, i want mine doing but i didn't know if it would go back on properly, from what i've read the best thing to do is get them vinyl wrapped, anodising stuff usually leaves it with a very funky shade or tint in the colour that might look odd against your paint seen as its black like mine.

if you decide to do it let me know as i might copy your idea!!!

what do u mean it mite not go back on properly?? get what u mean about the colour match...

I'm not sure how it's attached to the car that's all, is it clips that will snap getting them off or is it adhesive which might bend the plastic whilst removing the strips? I'm not sure. Do you know where I could get them vinyl wrapped if they will come off?