How do i remove the milking on the chrome trim

DJM1982

Reaction score
The chrome trim around my windows and doors on my A4 are looking really nasty, the chrome has gone all milky.
Are there any products out there that can remove this and make them shiney again, or is it a case of rechroming, spraying black to match the body or just replacing altogether?

hi mate

i have asked that on here before, & the detailer said not much luck cleaning them up.... gutted.

as mine look a mess too up close, so i might replace mine soon when i can as they let the car down if you look at them :).

Have to agree, i have tryed everything from metal polish to acid!

Nothing works, it is clearly some kind of oxidising, so looks like they will need replacing!

Yeah its not something I know can be sorted either, but give Polished Bliss a shout as they know everything about detailing/cleaning any part of a car & they may know a trick or 2, but as said its weathered & I do think its either new or painted to resolve the issue.

wow that much !!!! i better look out for a damaged a4 then ;), i dont want to see any damaged audi's but needs must needs be.....

joking aside that is dear but i will save up & get them one day & then i will coat them to keep them clean.

I really wouldn't bother, the issue isn't really the cost of the trim, it's more the installation is a problem.

The trim is plastic with a chrome covering so be careful what you use. If it really tees you off then I suggest you cover it with black auto tape or Di-Noc. This has been discussed previously, one of the threads was started by Richardesty as he's done his.

Cheers for the advice, i'll speak to my guy when it next goes in for a service and see what price he can get me for replacing.
And will look at alternative's suggested, cheers for you help.

i asked at aberdeen audi about changing:slapped: it to the black surround and the reckoned around the 700 mark

yeah the bits are around £500, but its the fitting thats a pita.You have to replace the small rear side windows too as they have the trim attached.

I quite fancied the idea of black trim as I have black roof rails and 3M Di-Noc'd (Carbon Fibre) the silver trim on the inside, but that kind of money is stupid.

Buster

quite.Just dont ask for a price on the door/gearchange trim pieces, esp the carbon fibre ones!!!

Very simple, do it like this...
DSCN1255_2.jpg

DSCN1256.jpg

Just don't look at the dust.

Buster

so whos good at doing wrapping then as im liking busters intereior and could you do the exterior you think ???

At that price i'll look into getting some wrap and giving it a go myself i think, or see if i can find somewhere local who will do it, got to be cheaper that what audi want to replace.
Or just leave them looking milky, it ruins the good looks though, Dam.

I've wrapped two sets of trim and sold them on ebay, if you are patient then it is easy. The irritating bit is removing the main dash trim as you can lose screws down the back of the dash.

I haven't wrapped my own car trim as I am quite fond of my silver trim now although I might change my mind.

I've wrapped two sets of trim and sold them on ebay, if you are patient then it is easy. The irritating bit is removing the main dash trim as you can lose screws down the back of the dash.

I haven't wrapped my own car trim as I am quite fond of my silver trim now although I might change my mind.

And did you just get the 3M Di-Noc stuff from eBay? I have heard it's not the worst job, just time consuming and fiddly.

I got mine from Vinyl car graphics, custom car graphics, stickers and decals | Underground Graphics UK
60cmx120cm £31.95, very fast delivery and good communication.

60x120cm Genuine 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fibre Vinyl Sheet on eBay (end time 15-Aug-10 22:32:15 BST)

Took me about 2 hours for the removal,covering and replacement. Make sure you use a hairdryer for the heat moulding and longnose pliers to get the screws out of the middle bit.

Here is how to get the trim off, this is for a B6 but my B7 was very similar.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/116381-B6-A4-S4-Interior-Trim-Removal

Hope it all helps

Buster

I've found a temporary solution on my chrome trim by accident. Mine too was massively cloudy until I slipped when buffing my window rubbers; Autoglyms bumper care works for a few days until eventually in the Great British weather it is either burnt off by the sun or washed by the rain!