EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    2nd Gear

Status

How do i remove the milking on the chrome trim

The chrome trim around my windows and doors on my A4 are looking really nasty, the chrome has gone all milky.
    Are there any products out there that can remove this and make them shiney again, or is it a case of rechroming, spraying black to match the body or just replacing altogether?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    hi mate

i have asked that on here before, & the detailer said not much luck cleaning them up.... gutted.

as mine look a mess too up close, so i might replace mine soon when i can as they let the car down if you look at them .
    2004 AUDI A4 2496 cc 2.5 TDI 180 Quattro Sport
    Metallic Silver, RNS-E Audi dvd Sat Nav ( 2010 dvd disk ) + muti CD Player, Parrot ls3200 Bluetooth Phone kit, 6 Speed, 4 Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors ( not elec folding ), Cruise Control, Nice Alloy Wheels, Colour DIS, Colour Keyed Body, Full audi Service History, Maintained Regardless Of Cost, Tinted Windows, Aero Wipers, inside red light kit ( audi ) + Puddle lights & Footwell light too, HID's.

6th Gear

Status
    Have to agree, i have tryed everything from metal polish to acid!

Nothing works, it is clearly some kind of oxidising, so looks like they will need replacing!

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

1st Gear

Status
    any ideas on prices ??, as i bet about 100 plus for all of them
    Metallic Silver, RNS-E Audi dvd Sat Nav ( 2010 dvd disk ) + muti CD Player, Parrot ls3200 Bluetooth Phone kit, 6 Speed, 4 Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors ( not elec folding ), Cruise Control, Nice Alloy Wheels, Colour DIS, Colour Keyed Body, Full audi Service History, Maintained Regardless Of Cost, Tinted Windows, Aero Wipers, inside red light kit ( audi ) + Puddle lights & Footwell light too, HID's.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah its not something I know can be sorted either, but give Polished Bliss a shout as they know everything about detailing/cleaning any part of a car & they may know a trick or 2, but as said its weathered & I do think its either new or painted to resolve the issue.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru swift View Post
    any ideas on prices ??, as i bet about 100 plus for all of them
    Not cheap mate, more like 200+

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

1st Gear

Status
    wow that much !!!! i better look out for a damaged a4 then , i dont want to see any damaged audi's but needs must needs be.....

joking aside that is dear but i will save up & get them one day & then i will coat them to keep them clean.

5th Gear

Status
    I really wouldn't bother, the issue isn't really the cost of the trim, it's more the installation is a problem.

The trim is plastic with a chrome covering so be careful what you use. If it really tees you off then I suggest you cover it with black auto tape or Di-Noc. This has been discussed previously, one of the threads was started by Richardesty as he's done his.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

1st Gear

Status
    it is not that bad but i would like to clean it up a bit, but no worries as i know its there but how many days can a car in the uk stay clean .

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers for the advice, i'll speak to my guy when it next goes in for a service and see what price he can get me for replacing.
    And will look at alternative's suggested, cheers for you help.

Neutral

Status
    i asked at aberdeen audi about changing it to the black surround and the reckoned around the 700 mark

Neutral

Status
    wrapping would work

6th Gear

Status
    yeah the bits are around 500, but its the fitting thats a pita.You have to replace the small rear side windows too as they have the trim attached.
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    yeah the bits are around 500, but its the fitting thats a pita.You have to replace the small rear side windows too as they have the trim attached.
    wtf !!! that is a mad price !!!!, i will keep mine milky as thats a pi@@take audi .

cars are worth a lot more sold as parts me thinks....

Reverse Gear

Status
    I quite fancied the idea of black trim as I have black roof rails and 3M Di-Noc'd (Carbon Fibre) the silver trim on the inside, but that kind of money is stupid.

Buster
    A4 Avant 1.9 Tdi Brilliant Black

6th Gear

Status
    quite.Just dont ask for a price on the door/gearchange trim pieces, esp the carbon fibre ones!!!
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Reverse Gear

Status
    Very simple, do it like this...

Just don't look at the dust.

Buster

Neutral

Status
    so whos good at doing wrapping then as im liking busters intereior and could you do the exterior you think ???

2nd Gear

Status
    At that price i'll look into getting some wrap and giving it a go myself i think, or see if i can find somewhere local who will do it, got to be cheaper that what audi want to replace.
    Or just leave them looking milky, it ruins the good looks though, Dam.

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster the Dog View Post
    Very simple, do it like this...

Just don't look at the dust.

Buster
    That looks ace dude! Did you just buy the 3M Di-Noc stuff from eBay? I have the piano black trim in my b6 and have considered wrapping mine.

5th Gear

Status
    I've wrapped two sets of trim and sold them on ebay, if you are patient then it is easy. The irritating bit is removing the main dash trim as you can lose screws down the back of the dash.

I haven't wrapped my own car trim as I am quite fond of my silver trim now although I might change my mind.
    Nathan

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I've wrapped two sets of trim and sold them on ebay, if you are patient then it is easy. The irritating bit is removing the main dash trim as you can lose screws down the back of the dash.

I haven't wrapped my own car trim as I am quite fond of my silver trim now although I might change my mind.
    And did you just get the 3M Di-Noc stuff from eBay? I have heard it's not the worst job, just time consuming and fiddly.

5th Gear

Status
    Yep, bought from a shop called carbonfibregeneration. Fast delivery.
    Nathan

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Yep, bought from a shop called carbonfibregeneration. Fast delivery.
    Thanks for the sellers link, how much do you reckon you'd need for a full wrap of an interior trim? (Just a rough guideline)

5th Gear

Status
    I think I got 60cm x 1200cm and there was a little spare from that.
    Nathan

Loving the anonymity

Status
    I think I got 60cm x 1200cm and there was a little spare from that.
    I'm hoping you mean 120cm?! Surely it's not 12m I need!?

Thanks again though dude!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    I'm hoping you mean 120cm?! Surely it's not 12m I need!?

Thanks again though dude!
    You know what I mean
    Nathan

Reverse Gear

Status
    I got mine from Vinyl car graphics, custom car graphics, stickers and decals | Underground Graphics UK
    60cmx120cm 31.95, very fast delivery and good communication.

60x120cm Genuine 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fibre Vinyl Sheet on eBay (end time 15-Aug-10 22:32:15 BST)

Took me about 2 hours for the removal,covering and replacement. Make sure you use a hairdryer for the heat moulding and longnose pliers to get the screws out of the middle bit.

Here is how to get the trim off, this is for a B6 but my B7 was very similar.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/116381-B6-A4-S4-Interior-Trim-Removal

Hope it all helps

Buster

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've found a temporary solution on my chrome trim by accident. Mine too was massively cloudy until I slipped when buffing my window rubbers; Autoglyms bumper care works for a few days until eventually in the Great British weather it is either burnt off by the sun or washed by the rain!