Best lowering springs for avant s line?

fozworth

Reaction score
I'm after getting some lowering springs for my 2.0 tdi s line avant . I don't want to spend a fortune but want to retain the sporty feel it has already just lower by about 30-40 mm . What have people used and there thoughts / cost please .

eh !!! 30 -40 mm lower than an already low sline.... you want to be scraping the car's underside over every speed bump you go over ?

To go that low and still have any chance at ride comfort you will need coilovers or at very least lowering springs with uprated shocks which will be cheapest. £400 ish for decent spring shock combo then about 200 for fitting if its front friver more for quattro`s I think and then 50 ish to get the alignment redone so it gets expensive!
Coilovers I would say around £1000 fitted ?

All rough guess!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be prepared to be shocked at fitting costs. B7 suspension is not easy to work with.... just ask one of the guys at Awesome gti when they worked on my old B7 saloon.

Well no but my arch gaps at the mo are around 30mm on the rear and 35-40 on the front so would like the gap pretty closed . My b6 avant sport tdi was lower on factory springs than this. Springs I've seen are around 40mm lower which if you allow for the s lines factory drop only reduces it by about 20mm ish .

Maybe it's not an option the as I was hoping for £150 odd for the springs plus my mate charges £10 an hour .

You might be able to get some 30-40mm (over std sline) springs for that kind of cash that will give you the drop you want but I wouldnt it will wreck the ride and the handling too !
If you stick to 20mm (over std sline) you should be fine but that is as far as I would go but its your motor !?!

Be prepared to be shocked at fitting costs. B7 suspension is not easy to work with.... just ask one of the guys at Awesome gti when they worked on my old B7 saloon.

Very true it took the guys at vagtech 7 hours to fit my eibach springs as some of the bolts had siezed!! and cost me £220 with full allignment included! which was a bargain for such a quality job from such a sound bunch of blokes!!

From your experience how do the std shocks cope with such a big drop and what is the ride comfort like ?

It's always best to get a matched set of springs and shocks as it'll give you better handling and also better ride quality. The S-Line already has uprated dampers so up to and around 35mm springs, additional 20mm for the S-Line, should be fine depending on the cars mileage.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I was only interested as i thought with the pretty low cost of the springs being about £150 and the normal fitting time it would be worth it.But ive heard that the front end is a mare and can take hours?The mechanic i use does the jobs after hours on his 4 post ramp but i dont want him to be stuck with the car the next day if its a mare.?I really am happy with the handleing appart from the rear which i was going to fit the RS4 rear ARB to help tighten things up.So if its not like a regular front spring change then for the gain (and visual look which is what i wanted realy) its probably not worth the big job .I thought it was a couple hours tops for the fronts like the regular struts.

I'm after getting some lowering springs for my 2.0 tdi s line avant . I don't want to spend a fortune but want to retain the sporty feel it has already just lower by about 30-40 mm . What have people used and there thoughts / cost please .

Eibach suspension.

Just fitted Eibach Sportline springs to my wifes 2007 A4 2.0TDI Sport Cab. Cost £155 from Graham Goode Racing. Has transformed the car. Fitting took me about 2.5 hrs on a 4 poster at my mates garage

Most garages quote an hour per corner even if it takes them less as standard so get a quote first.

If the back end is like most vag front wheel drive cars ie mk4 golf etc then it took me half an hour each side obviously fronts take longer . It's the front on this car I'm concerned about if there not to bad I will defo go with the eibach option

Front are quite simple, if you drop the whole top mount and undo the top link rear bushes and forget about the top link ball joints as they will be seized.

Just don't drop the driver side bolt thats inside the scuttle securing the top mount, its a toal **** to get out from under the servo :laugh:

Rears are pretty awkward, not a lot of room get get a spring compressor in to work the spring, easy enough to wrestle the original out, but you might need to lower the subframe a bit to get the spring back in. Do-able on the driveway though.

HR -45mm Lowering springs on My 2.0 TFSI S-line Avant Quattro

A4_Lowered.jpg

Well you need your eyes tested, its 20mm lower.

There is more to it than just lower though, the progressive wound springs have transformed the ride, the Standard Audi stuff is pretty harsh / crashy. Now its miles more supple, but when giving it stick and loading up the springs the progressive wind means its nice and stiff in the corners, coupled with the RS4 ARB the handling has been vastly improved.

STD Ride pictured below.

A4_Aug_7.jpg

Well you need your eyes tested, its 20mm lower.

There is more to it than just lower though, the progressive wound springs have transformed the ride, the Standard Audi stuff is pretty harsh / crashy. Now its miles more supple, but when giving it stick and loading up the springs the progressive wind means its nice and stiff in the corners, coupled with the RS4 ARB the handling has been vastly improved.

STD Ride pictured below.

A4_Aug_7.jpg

I have to agree the RS4 anti roll bar is probably the best mod you can do without even touching the suspension, but combined with a slighlty lower spring it is just unreal the difference it makes.

Cheers guys defo going with the eibach sport springs and the rear arb before the dreaded 20% vat kicks in!
My mate recons on 60-80 quid to do the job so alls good . Just as a helper to my mechy mate is it correct that it's best just to undo the top mounts and only the rear top link arm to remove and fit the front spring?

Oh are the HR's the same drop as the eibach sports springs pretty much?

GAZ im selling my standard S-Line springs mate, although there off my 3.0 TDi so not sure if they would be suitable or not.

PM me if your interested

Just wanted to say I found this thread really useful - just snapped up a set of H&R springs off ebay for my 2008 B7 s-line avant for £85, and would have gone for the FK streets if I hadn't found this thread and one here: FK AK Street Coilovers: The Verdict
Will let you know how I get on fitting them!

C
heers

Matt

HR -45mm Lowering springs on My 2.0 TFSI S-line Avant Quattro

A4_Lowered.jpg

What size wheels are these? I'm contemplating whether to get 18's or 19's of these style wheels ATM and I just can't make my mind up.

On stock S-Line suspension ATM and looking into lowering springs after I get new wheels on so not sure what drop to go for without compromising the life of the stock shock absorbers. Also, there doesn't appear to be a 50/40 kit for the Quattros?