Irritation: Cruise Control

Wrath

Reaction score
I really should have listened to B5NUT but I didn't, thinking changing to a MFSW and cruise control would be simple. Well all of the weekend was spent using an RS4 SWCM (missing out a part that fits ontop of the slip ring), couldn't get rid of the ESP light, possibly because the RS4 has two modules.

Anyway, picked up a SWCM from a scrappy today, came off an A4 S-LIne with MFSW. Fitted it, ESP light gone, calibrated fine however, I cannot get cruise to work. I've tried every available set of instructions off the Internet, VCDS picks up on the measuring blocks for 16-Steering Wheel the stalk responses, but it just doesn't work.

I've activated it in the 01 - Engine, and the soft coding in the SWCM to no avail. Any ideas?

check your clutch switch !!! ive come across them that havent worked, therefore cruise will not activate, just disconect the switch and bridge it out with a wire then try your cruise, got to be worth a go.

just a thought but did you also mention on another thread that you dont have dis either.
cruise also requires a wire to the rear of the clocks on older models sometimes, im sure its only a ground and activates the cruise light on the dash

Last edited:
check your clutch switch !!! ive come across them that havent worked, therefore cruise will not activate, just disconect the switch and bridge it out with a wire then try your cruise, got to be worth a go.

Cheers for the assistance, whereabouts is the clutch switch i.e. what am I looking for?

just a thought but did you also mention on another thread that you dont have dis either.
cruise also requires a wire to the rear of the clocks on older models sometimes, im sure its only a ground and activates the cruise light on the dash

I have DIS, just didn't have a MFSW or Cruise. I thought that wire thing only needed to be done on B6 models?

The only extra wire is when adding DIS and should be the washer bottle ground, it's PIN one on the 32 PIN Blue connector on the instrument cluster, if this is not done then you will only see the washer bottle is low message. Never heard of grounding any other pin.

Part number is: 8E0 953 549 Q. I realise that version R is the recommended but people have fitted the Q variant without a problem.

The RS4 module was 8E0 953 549 T and that does not seem compatible with a standard A4.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I too would like cc but have DIS yet no MFSW.

When you bought the control module from the breakers is there a specific part? What isit called? Or does it just have to come from a MFSW? Because I would also like to buy one, so I can get CC fitted.

£?

Thanks.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I too would like cc but have DIS yet no MFSW.

When you bought the control module from the breakers is there a specific part? What isit called? Or does it just have to come from a MFSW? Because I would also like to buy one, so I can get CC fitted.

£?

You need the Steering Wheel Control Module (or SWCM). They might stare at you as they may not know what it is. Cost from dealers is around £150 and they are scarce on ebay. Rear the instructions on how to do it, go to the breakers and take off the steering wheel to get it. Also take the slip ring and air bag wiring. Air bag wiring from a dealer is around £13, slip ring around £120. From scrappies I got a slip ring and scwm for £50 all in, bargain! Obviously make sure that the bits come from a car with a MFSW.

a Q version will deffo cover you for multi wheel and cruise.

the clutch switch is at the very top of your clutch pedal, its the same as your brake switch at the top of your brake pedal

Thanks for the help Wrath. Much appreciated mate. Hopefully get this done before I embark on a euro trip next month!

Just an update, I bypassed the clutch switch, no cruise. Removed the battery connection overnight and went through all the coding again...no cruise. Ran complete scan....no faults. So I'm going to leave it for a week and see what happens, if nothing then I'll have to go to the dealer and spend some money :sadlike:

What a feck on.....

On the other hand, got my Cupra splitter today and have just finished with the primer.

Im not trying to insult your intelligence, (honestly lol) but have you checked that the stalk has not been knocked forward?
Just check that the stalk is pulled towards you to activate cruise.

Im not trying to insult your intelligence, (honestly lol) but have you checked that the stalk has not been knocked forward?
Just check that the stalk is pulled towards you to activate cruise.

Don't worry, I'm not insulted at all. Tried everything with the stalk. VCDS picks up in the measuring blocks that the stalk moves so I'm quite sure the stalk isn't knackered. I can't help wondering if I need the Engine module unlocking using that dealer pin.

seems like you have done all you can.
Go back to basics.
Start at address 01 (engine electrics).
find login function and enter 11463.
go to address 16, adaption channel 081 and enter 00111.
check coding in address 17 channel 19.
If that don't work then im stumped.

Hi there,

I have retro-fitted a Q module into my BLB 2.0 A4.

Whilst you have bypassed the clutch switch have you also checked the brake switch? As both of these will shut off the cruise.
Also, if memory serves me correctly, there are two clutch switchs or two brake switches (there are definitely two of one of them!)

You can check in VCDS for the switches activating, can't remember which blocks but someone will be able to tell you.

Failing that, go to your dealer and buy a new set of switches, they aren't expensive and they definitely elliminate the problem.

Hope the above helps

Paul

Hi there,

I have retro-fitted a Q module into my BLB 2.0 A4.

Whilst you have bypassed the clutch switch have you also checked the brake switch? As both of these will shut off the cruise.
Also, if memory serves me correctly, there are two clutch switchs or two brake switches (there are definitely two of one of them!)

You can check in VCDS for the switches activating, can't remember which blocks but someone will be able to tell you.

Failing that, go to your dealer and buy a new set of switches, they aren't expensive and they definitely elliminate the problem.

I've bypassed the clutch switch and no difference. I did read somewhere about the possibility that it could be the brake switch but my brake lights aren't stuck on which I thought would be the case?

Anyone have the part number(s) for the brake switch?